E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
LW///M3

My Ride: 05 Sti >> E46 M3
Quad TFX Bi-Xenon Projectors - My New Lights!

Specs:

2 TFX Bi-Xenon Projectors
e2 Aurora 60 LED Angel Eye from EAS
E46 Bixenon Shrouds Painted Black W/ Titanium Silver Trim
4 Philips 85122+ D2S Bulbs
1 Set DIGITAL HID 55w Ballasts For Inner TFX Projectors

**I will get some better pics when I have a chance!

A sample of what all the parts look like before modifications begin:

trimmed projectors:

Both sets of projectors bolted up and everything sprayed black:

Test fitting shrouds after trimming and painting:

Angel eyes test fitted, Projector shrouds masked off, sprayed black, left trim around projectors titanium silver:

Wow, finally coming together! Its fits

Installed:

35w's only:

35w's and 55w's:

e2 Aurora Angel Eyes:

Im sure there will be many questions, so let me fill in the blanks for the people not familiar with this type modification.

Whats the point of this?

This modification enhances both the looks and the performance of the factory lighting setup to the best that can found on the market today.

Youíre probably thinking to yourself, geez thatís pretty cool, I havenít seen something like it, but why did he go through all this trouble? Yes itís true, itís a lot of work, I spent 3 days total completing this project. I mainly did this because I was looking for even more performance out of my setup; well that and its just raising the bar for me. No one has ever done a quad retrofit with any spectacular projectors that I know of, and most did it purely for looks. With the TFX projectors mounted in the inside with a 55w bulb and ballast setup, the output becomes twice as bright as I originally had it. However, if youíre starting with the piss poor oem factory lighting the M3 came with, the new performance that this setup gives is like comparing night and day, literally.

What are the parts you used?

I started with some OEM m3 inner headlight brackets. This way I can work on the whole retrofit without removing the lights off my car first. I gathered two sets of Infiniti FX35 projectors, two sets of Acura TSX clear lenses and thatís how the ďTFXĒ is made. Itís a hybrid projector that we have made to what we regard as the best compact Bi-Xenon projector out on the market today. The Infiniti FX35 projectors are pretty good how they are from the factory, however once the TSX lenses are installed, they come alive. The output is more intense, colorful, & sharp. All the nice characteristics finally come out, and thatís how it got the name TFX. The shrouds I used are not the OEM shrouds; they are the replica E46 Bi-xenon shrouds. You will notice they donít have the word Xenon on them, and the ridges go around the whole shroud, instead of only part of it. Once I put everything together I painted the shrouds black with a silver trim around the projector. I think this goes with the theme of my car really well, however these can be painted in any color for a customized look, or even left in chrome for an OEM look. I finished the lights off with EASís new e2 Aurora 60 LED angel eyes. The inner set of TFX projectors will be powered with a 55w ballast and bulb setup, which is 25% brighter then the standard 35w our cars come with.

Why is this the first time I am hearing about such a thing?

The truth is not many people offer these HID retrofitting services. Most online vendors sell lighting products such as new bulbs, HID kits, and angel eyes, but thatís the extent of it. It really isnít a profitable business unless you have really made a name for your products and services, and you can offer customers the best quality on the market with the assurance it will come out as originally planned. What makes this type of conversion special is the fact that only OEM projectors are used. We know these projectors are the best since factory automotive engineers spent countless hours developing these units to perform the best they can. Now they didnít care so much for sharpness and color flicker, but thatís where people like myself and others in the business come in and start modifying the projectors to get even better ďperformanceĒ from them.

Another reason why you donít see many people doing this is because how labor intensive these types of conversion can be. Ive spent about 3 days on this one, thatís about how long my first retrofit took a few years ago! Now that ive done a few hundred conversions, 3 days is a very long time to be spending on something. Sure it was the first time I had done it, but the time wonít get cut down much more at this point. You wonít be able to just buy this type of custom setup off a shelf.

Whats it run to do something like this?

If you are starting out with the factory M3 bixenon lights, it will run you about about $1000 plus a minimum of about 20 hours of your life to properly complete something like this.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
SpookyChief

My Ride: '07 335i
wow, i dig it

SpookyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
1st. kay.... maybe not.
Great project BTW

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2

My Fitness YouTube Channel!!! Thanks for all the support I am GRATEFUL

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCozwn8gNwXQVuG0se8cTpUQ
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
\\V

My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
Very nice!
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Joey325i

My Ride: X GSR | STI
Send a message via AIM to Joey325i
looks crazy

Joey325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330

Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Cool... I did this mod a few years ago to my M3...

Very nicely done!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
FromE55toM5

My Ride: 6spd E60 ///M5
looks awesome

Previous Whips:
330ci | ///M3 | E55

Endless Auto Body
FromE55toM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Presns323i
No Show, No Go

My Ride: E46[Retired], 2.0T
Send a message via AIM to Presns323i
coolest freaking mod ever

btw, its been done before, OSS and another member...
but havnt seen it done in a while since then...

nice to see some original modding once agian
Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
///Mbimmer

My Ride: `02 325i
looks great man
well done

///Mbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
i'm feelin it.. good work

i have thought about going quad-xenon, but being that i already have the bmw ones, i would have to find oem, or scrap the oem and i don't want to do that
Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Best quad set up I've seen. I've never seen or heard about anyone using such high quality projectors, definitely a first.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presns323i View Post
coolest freaking mod ever

btw, its been done before, OSS and another member...
but havnt seen it done in a while since then...

nice to see some original modding once agian
i'm sure he knows that quads have been done before, however OSS were not functional, and he only used e46 projectors.

OP, great job on the projectors. up to this point, i was the only person to ever retrofit quad bixenons.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
nice man!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i'm sure he knows that quads have been done before, however OSS were not functional, and he only used e46 projectors.

OP, great job on the projectors. up to this point, i was the only person to ever retrofit quad bixenons.

EEERRRRKKk survey says......

They are functional... got HIDs in there and a separate switch for them so i can just leave them on.

to the OP

Those came out fuking beautiful!, I like the silver touch

///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
i see, i remember reading before that all you did was take the lense portion of the projector and attached it in there with the shroud on top.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #17
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i see, i remember reading before that all you did was take the lense portion of the projector and attached it in there with the shroud on top.
yes but I did add the HIDs later etc... I do not have a cut off shield cuz honestly whats the point of flashing high beams if they dont flash high?.... pointless....

you use them to warn people your coming, to get the fuk out my way... well the brighter and more annoying, the better....
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
very nice indeed!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #19
LW///M3

Yes I ve seen a bunch of quad p46 setups, but lets be honest, those setups barely are on par with OEM bixenon lighting.

This is a bit different in regards to performance, but looks, yes its been done before.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
LW///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///OSS View Post
yes but I did add the HIDs later etc... I do not have a cut off shield cuz honestly whats the point of flashing high beams if they dont flash high?.... pointless....

you use them to warn people your coming, to get the fuk out my way... well the brighter and more annoying, the better....
Nice!

The inner projectors are controlled by the fog light switch. All four projectors are low and high beam, so its very powerful, especially with the 55w setup.