E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
YBZ432

My Ride: BMW 330I
Crankshaft sensor

Hi I was wondering if anyone has done this before and Has pics. I having a really hard time locating the sensor on my 2001 BMW 330I. Please Help I try search but no luck on the location. thanks
YBZ432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
glenpointe

My Ride: 325i
item #8
http://bmwfans.info/original/E46/Lim...1/ill-11_2167/
glenpointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
YBZ432

Thank you alot. I brought a crank sensor from junkyard and the sensor that I got look like it's a cams sensor from the head. So I will have to return it and take off my crank sensor to compare it with. THANKS
Old 06-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
oeuro5

My Ride: 1997 BMW 325i
I wouldn't buy a used one. I just replaced mine with used one and it was faulty. Stripped bolt, waste of time and money. $60 Brand new OEM on internet. Google it...
oeuro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
YBZ432

I still having Problem with my car and I really need help. After I install two Crank sensor on my car and it still running bad, hard to start and it sence like it miss firing and when let it set for a while then motor start making click sound , never done it with the old sensor even when the engine light is on.

I got my car dinostic and the code say Crank sensor but no luck.

Engine service light and Traction light and Brake light is on.

Do I have to clear the code to make it run normal again?

Please someone that know HELP

Last edited by YBZ432; 06-26-2008 at 05:01 AM. Reason: more detail
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
YBZ432

BUMP Please Someone that done this and fix the problem Please Help.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
scarface007

My Ride: 04 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBZ432 View Post
BUMP Please Someone that done this and fix the problem Please Help.
if you have a missfire and the dme miss reads the engine RPM it will set a crank possition sensor fult . if you dont know what you are doing you need to take it to some one that does . reason im being so harsh is that there is no need to throw parts at the car if you dont knwo whats going on or how the system works . its hard to diagnose a rough start conditon over the internet . i will help you but you need some kind of BMW equipment to see what is going on . but we can start here .

have you done anything to the car lately ?
have you gassed the car up lately ?
give a visual inspection with the plastic covers off ?
if you have a rough iddle you can pin point the cylinder by eliminating coils as the car runs , basically start the car , disconect coil 1 . if the car stumbles and iddles rougher than before its not that one . if it doesnt change the iddle thats the cylinder thats missfiring . if you find it swap coils ,then plugs , and finally injector ( one at a time , with a good cylinder ) .
the CKPS is located on the drivers side of the engine block , you can get to it from the bopttom of the car by the control arm .

if you cant find anything with this , you need to take it to a shop or someone that can read live data as the car runs .

- President Ronald Regan

http://www.ftperformancebmw.com/
scarface007 is offline   Reply With Quote