E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
kentukred

My Ride: 2004 325i
BMW E46 99 323i Key FOB Programming??

I own a 1999 323i. Recently the battery on my key remote apparently went completely dead. None of the functions work, however they once did. I proceeded to install a fresh battery in the remote. Currently the indicator light flashes when buttons are pressed, indicating that the battery is fresh, however I can't get any of the controls to work. I have tried the standard programming instructions as listed throughout the web: Turn ignition on (or to position 2), turn off and remove (all within 10 second), press and hold the unlock button, press lock button three times, release the unlock button. After completing this, my remote indicator light begins to flash repeatedly on its own as if it is trying to do something, however the car never lock/unlocks and afterwards the controls still do not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely stumped on this one. My key on the 99 323i looks a little bit different than some other newer E46 keys, so the programming instructions might be a little different than on some?
kentukred is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
adamlutz

My Ride: 1999 323i
Go to the dealer - as good faith they should be able to reprogram your key properly at no charge.

If you have another working key, your new key can learn the codes from it - do a search on the forum for that too...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
kentukred

My Ride: 2004 325i
I only have one key that has the remote functions. The second key that I have is only an ignition key.
kentukred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
When I try to program mine like the manual says it just flashes a total of 10 times.

It lost all functions ever since the guy at the alignment shop fuctup my alarm, when trying to get in.
Every since then my car starts beeping as soon as I open the door and doesn't stop until put the key in and turn it. It never did that before. Also my aftermarket alarm has been super sensitive since.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
c0axiL

My Ride: 2000 323i
wow im glad i found this post.... i had been doing it all wrong the stealers told me to press the lock and unlock buttons while it was in the number 2 position and to do it all within 5 seconds
c0axiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Snik
OEM ///Member

Well, I can program mine, and it will accept the code, and ill lock it up and walk away, but if I drive down the road for 10 minutes and try again, it loses the code again. I've been locking my car manually by turn key lately, because I'm still not sure if my alarm is ok yet, even tho I cleared ALL error codes withing the dash, zkw, and all that with my carsoft.

But the key still won't retain the code/program.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Well, I can program mine, and it will accept the code, and ill lock it up and walk away, but if I drive down the road for 10 minutes and try again, it loses the code again. I've been locking my car manually by turn key lately, because I'm still not sure if my alarm is ok yet, even tho I cleared ALL error codes withing the dash, zkw, and all that with my carsoft.

But the key still won't retain the code/program.
Seriously I would double check the quality of the button cell battery you bought for your key.. I had a very similar problem and it was due to the shop I got my "new" battery from.. it was so old it was as bad as the old battery that I had taken out. Buy a GOOD battery from a GOOD retailer
E46 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

i see, ill look into that. yesterday it worked almost the whole damn day, and then stopped. im like WTF
Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
WRF Captain

My Ride: 2001 325i
my manual says the keys charge themselves off the car

2008 KTM 450 EXC-R with a Cali license plate(in the mail)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/gar...icle&vid=14999

WRF Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRF Captain View Post
my manual says the keys charge themselves off the car
99 doesn't, only the newer style keys do that.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
99 doesn't, only the newer style keys do that.

ah, didnt know that, bought a new bettery from the stealership, so far so good.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
can someone verify the process for re-programming the key with the older style key (1999 car).

like the OP, I'm trying to do it the same way I do on my 2001, but it's not working. I searched and sifted through over twenty threads but they all reference the newer Diamond style key.

Again, looking for the re-programming process for the older key for my 1999 328.

Thanks.