E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
My car got towed out of my neighborhood for expired tag

My new tag and registration was mailed to my parents and they mailed it to me, but it was raining last night so I didn't get a chance to chance to swap it out.

Last night my car was towed b/c the home owners association has it in the contract cars with expired tags get towed.
( I rent the place and I've never seen this home owners contract)

I got towed out of my driveway exactly a week ago becuase I was blocking the sideway (HOA once again)

Can I do anything about this?

ALso, I know they used a conventional tow truck. Aren't BMW req. to be towed by a flat bed? I have suspension mods.
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
snowie007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 616
My Ride: 2000 323i
unless ur E46 is an xi, it can be towed via the rear (ie., jack the rear up and towed). All bimmers are RWD unless it is an xi. Plus the towers can put tolleys on ur fronts to get a "flatbed" towing

Last edited by snowie007; 03-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.
snowie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Shrugged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 63
My Ride: 2006 330i
Send a message via AIM to Shrugged
That sucks man - I can't imagine how pissed off you are. I would be fuming.

Associations always suck. The president of mine writes me hate-mail that he types in all capital letters because I always throw parties at our pool (I live in a condo).

That's a pretty strange rule to have, too (why does the association care about expired tabs). Must just be an excuse to tow cars or something.
Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #4
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrugged View Post
That sucks man - I can't imagine how pissed off you are. I would be fuming.

Associations always suck. The president of mine writes me hate-mail that he types in all capital letters because I always throw parties at our pool (I live in a condo).

That's a pretty strange rule to have, too (why does the association care about expired tabs). Must just be an excuse to tow cars or something.


What's shitty is that I didn't know about any of these rules b/c I'm renting and the landlord never told me about these things or gave me a copy.


I just looked over my lease and nothing is there about towing but it does say I agree to comply with all HOA rules and regulations.

Do I have a case since I never received a copy/signed anything specific to the HOA contract?

ALso, Last time I got towed a few years ago, they ****ed my my front bumper and wouldn't do **** about it.
My car is lowered since then so I just know when I get there to pick it up **** is gonna be ****ed up again.

Will I be able to do anything?
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 854
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post
What's shitty is that I didn't know about any of these rules b/c I'm renting and the landlord never told me about these things or gave me a copy.


I just looked over my lease and nothing is there about towing but it does say I agree to comply with all HOA rules and regulations.

Do I have a case since I never received a copy/signed anything specific to the HOA contract?

ALso, Last time I got towed a few years ago, they ****ed my my front bumper and wouldn't do **** about it.
My car is lowered since then so I just know when I get there to pick it up **** is gonna be ****ed up again.

Will I be able to do anything?
there likely isnt anything you can do, the HOA is a covenant that "runs with the land" and binds the land, not any individual person living there. it sucks that your landlord didn't tell you, but you could have asked.
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
330i ZHP
Registered User
 
330i ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,774
My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
you have to pay up and deal with the damage - you could play dumb (if you really didnt know) and request the homeowner reduce your rent costs to help cover the damage and towing

But parking on the sidewalk and expired tags will get you towed even in a non-HOA community.
__________________
/_________\
OO=[][]=OO
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
mattclaud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 194
My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Sorry, its your fault. Cars with expired tabs can be towed anywhere. I'm going to call in a van that sits in front of one of my rental houses this month actually. Nobody wants to see cars sitting around with expired tabs, makes neighborhoods look junky.
__________________
mattclaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post
My new tag and registration was mailed to my parents and they mailed it to me, but it was raining last night so I didn't get a chance to chance to swap it out.

Last night my car was towed b/c the home owners association has it in the contract cars with expired tags get towed.
( I rent the place and I've never seen this home owners contract)

I got towed out of my driveway exactly a week ago becuase I was blocking the sideway (HOA once again)

Can I do anything about this?

ALso, I know they used a conventional tow truck. Aren't BMW req. to be towed by a flat bed? I have suspension mods.
Where were you towed from?


Don't tell me you were blocking the sidewalk again



I used to do the slide-across-the-hood maneuver when people would block the sideway.



In addition, tow companies are not required to use a flatbed to tow you. Assuming you're not an Xi, they would have towed you from the rear.... And unless your front wheels were perfectly straight when you parked, I'd expect some premature suspension wear, if not damage. I saw a mustang being towed like that, and the wheels were facing 45 degrees Poor thing.

Also look for damage on the underside of your front bumper, engine splash guard, etc.

Last edited by Penguin Koolaid; 03-07-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
Where were you towed from?


Don't tell me you were blocking the sidewalk again



I used to do the slide-across-the-hood maneuver when people would block the sideway.



In addition, tow companies are not required to use a flatbed to tow you. Assuming you're not an Xi, they would have towed you from the rear.... And unless your front wheels were perfectly straight when you parked, I'd expect some premature suspension wear, if not damage. I saw a mustang being towed like that, and the wheels were facing 45 degrees Poor thing.

Also look for damage on the underside of your front bumper, engine splash guard, etc.
I was towed from my driveway the first time (last Thurs) I've lived here for 6 months and EVERYONE puts 2 cars int he driveway. The HOA signed up with a new towing company and send out letters to home owners advising of the rules. My landlord never told me about this.

My tag is 2 weeks expired, and it's been renewed, I just couldnt put it on last night b/c it was raining very hard.

No one called it in, it's just roam towing.
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattclaud View Post
Sorry, its your fault. Cars with expired tabs can be towed anywhere. I'm going to call in a van that sits in front of one of my rental houses this month actually. Nobody wants to see cars sitting around with expired tabs, makes neighborhoods look junky.
it's a bmw (not junky) my car hasn't been sitting there for more than 12 hours.

It wasn't called in by a neighbor. THey roam around looking for **** to tow
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
330i ZHP
Registered User
 
330i ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,774
My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
oh well, write it off to learning experience and learning to be responsible
__________________
/_________\
OO=[][]=OO
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
what if there is damage to my suspension ?
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
jmcdolej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 565
My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
The HOA rules are your responsibilty. It is obvious from where you live that you are in a HOA. . right?

Your tags were expired.


Damage to your car. . . your screwed unless you can show they intentionally damaged it.(not likely)

You are SOL.
__________________

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Penguin Koolaid
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chitown
Posts: 6,701
My Ride: Inline Six
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post
it's a bmw (not junky) my car hasn't been sitting there for more than 12 hours.

It wasn't called in by a neighbor. THey roam around looking for **** to tow
That sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post
what if there is damage to my suspension ?
I guess you could always file a complaint/suit. Technically if the sticker is expired, but the plates aren't... they should be able to run that through a computer like the police

I get the impression that you might have been towed for other reasons though. Perhaps something similar as to the first time?




And yes... I realize that people sometimes park 2 in a drive-way at a time and block the sidewalk... but you have to realize how frustrating that is for a pedestrian... someone out on a jog, walking their dog, or just trying to get somewhere.

The sidewalk should never be blocked.
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
The HOA rules are your responsibilty. It is obvious from where you live that you are in a HOA. . right?

Your tags were expired.


Damage to your car. . . your screwed unless you can show they intentionally damaged it.(not likely)

You are SOL.

Is it obvious ? What makes it obvious. I've lived here (townhouse) for 6 motnhs, no problems with towing or anything. I see the tow trucks roaming around at night and I knew the rule was you can't park illegally against the side f the road - so i never did.

I didnt' know or was i told/signed anything saying i can be towed for parking here with an expired tag (we are talking 10 days here)

I had the tag in hand last night (it's actually IN the car right now)
but it was raining - so i couldn't put it on.
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
BIZ323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: White Haven, PA
Posts: 492
My Ride: Miyagi
Send a message via AIM to BIZ323
USE a bike chain, take video.
BIZ323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
jmcdolej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 565
My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post
Is it obvious ? What makes it obvious. I've lived here (townhouse) for 6 motnhs, no problems with towing or anything. I see the tow trucks roaming around at night and I knew the rule was you can't park illegally against the side f the road - so i never did.

I didnt' know or was i told/signed anything saying i can be towed for parking here with an expired tag (we are talking 10 days here)

I had the tag in hand last night (it's actually IN the car right now)
but it was raining - so i couldn't put it on.
what I was asking (poorly) was Is it obvious from where you live that it is a home association? Did you know there were rules but just did not look at them?

If it is, which I am sure it is, obvious then you are on the hook. I bet your lease says you will follow all HOA rules. Lesson learned.
__________________

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
CiSach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2000 328ci
Send a message via AIM to CiSach
Okay, upon speaking to the HOA

Rules were chagned and began effect March 1, 2008.

Letters were sent out to Home owners in Jan notifitying the changes.

I never got the letter, it was prob sent to his address. He never called or told me of these changes .

Now what
CiSach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #19
330i ZHP
Registered User
 
330i ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,774
My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
hoa rules were written to protect the property owners from un-responsible people
__________________
/_________\
OO=[][]=OO
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
jmcdolej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 565
My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiSach View Post

Now what
SOL
__________________

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use