E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
davetupps

My Ride: 330ci M-sport
Send a message via MSN to davetupps
Brake Fluid Renewal Service Light????

Hi Guys I've just renewed my brake fluid after the indicator (a little clock) came up on the dash and was wondering does ay one know how to reset it?????????? I search the forums but all that comes up is about the brake pads sensor reset.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
davetupps

Ok I've searched everywhere now and came up with this
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ke+fluid+reset.
I'm assuming he mean the scart socket type thing where BMW stealer stick their diagnostic tool in????? Anyone else got any other idea on this?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
davetupps

**********Bump*************
Come on guys sum 1 must know? Do I need diagnostic's at the stealer's to reset this, is it a key and trip meter button sequence or will the above link work and not fry my ECU? Someone must know. My car's a 330ci 03 UK spec.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I need to reset my brake fluid service indicator too. Anyone know how ? I don't want to short certain eletrical pins from this or that place. If that is the only option then I'll just live with the light rather than to risk blowing up the eletricals.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
ddombrowski

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Send a message via AIM to ddombrowski
I was unaware there was a light for brake fluid service reminding. The only lights I know of are for brake system failure (including low fluid) or brake pad wear exceeded. Are you sure its not one of those?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

It's a square clock symbol. That means 2-yearly brake fluid change is due. I think it comes on when the day count is up. It's just a convinience to reset it so that I get notified when the next change is due. Otherwise I have to use Microsoft Outlook to remind me of the next change.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Must only exist on Euro models. I've never seen any such thing in the 4.5 years I've owned my US spec car, either on the car or in the owner's manual (which I just checked).
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Maybe BMW don't care if the brakes are not working in US. You have bigger roads. So you won't run out of runway, so to speak, if your brakes fail.

So how do you tell if your brake fluid is due for renewal ?

Here's what's in my manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	5683
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	284167  
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Ok, found the info: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/view...et+brake+fluid
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

Cr*p, the instruction given in the link didn't quite work. So I needed to hack the trip meter button to get the proper steps:

1. Ignition key to position 0 (off)
2. Hold trip meter button (the left button)
3. Ignition key to position 1. The display will show: "test 1"
4. Keep holding the trip meter button until the the display shows: "reset inspection" or "reset oilservice"
5. Release the button
6. Press and release the tip meter buton once. The Display will show the square clock symbol and the month the fluid change is overdue on. I can't remember if the date format was mm.yy or yy.mm
7. Press and hold the trip meter button until the display is showing a flashing "reset". Then release the button. "Reset" will keep flashing.
8. Presss and release the trip meter button once. The display will show the square clock symbol and the month for the next fluid change in 2 years time in the format mm.yy or yy.mm
9. Press and hold the trip meter until "End" is displayed
10. Let go of the button and turn ignition to 0 (off). The clock symbol will not show again until the next fluid chnage is due
11. Record the the completed service in the service book and put your own stamp on it if you are proud.
12. Renew you own fluids with your most preferred beverage. Then pat yourself on the back for a job well done knowing that the drink was for free, that for once you had a brake fluid job that you could trust, and that the dealer monkeys did not get a chance to break your car.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 09-10-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Sailorbaz

My Ride: M3 CSL
Excellent post chaps, just used the above instructions to reset my brake fluid change symbol after fitting AP brakes to my CSL.

Cheers guys,
Baz
Sailorbaz is offline   Reply With Quote