E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
win-by-miles
It really was a Rocky story

My Ride: Refer to sig
carpet mats in washing machine?

i just put in my rubber winter mats... just wondering if i can throw my black carpet mats in the washing machine\

was thinking to vaccum first and then wash them and dry them
win-by-miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
win-by-miles

anyone?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
win-by-miles

come on guys... someone must know
Old 12-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
tradingflare

My Ride: needs a mechanic
I put my winter rubbers in. I vacuumed my summer mats, and then went over them with a carpet/rug cleaner. The wife happened to be cleaning the floors, so it was a little convenient for me. They came out perfectly and I let them air dry.
tradingflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I put mine in the wash and then in the dryer on like air dry. then when the cycle was done I laid them flat overnight. Normally I wash them by hand with car wash soap, scrub with my tennis shoe (the ones with think traction) or brush, rinse with water, let air dry.

It's carpet it should be fine.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
Well....there's foam on the back. I guess it depends on the condition of the mat. I don't think I would do it but who knows.....sure would be an easy way to clean the mats. Just FYI, the dry cleaners do a great job on the rugs in my house. I bet they could do the floor mats.

Todd
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
ladon23

My Ride: 2002 330 ci
A carpet shampooer would be the best bet. That's what it's made for.
Putting floor mats in a washing machine is probably going to damage one or the other...IMHO. Pick up the "Green Machine" by Bissel and you can also do the carpets in the car whenever you want to. It fires high pressure soapy water into the carpet, then vacuums it and the dirt out in the same pass.
Works great! You'll find friends you never knew you had too. Just don't let the wife, mother, or girl friend see you doing it or you'll be doing the house carpets too!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
james2538

My Ride: Sold
NO!!!

At least not in a washing machine with an agitator. I attempted this once with my old grey mats. The washing machine ripped the felt backing to shreds.

Had to purchase new mats. Go for a carpet cleaner or take them to the dry cleaners.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
Well....there's foam on the back. I guess it depends on the condition of the mat. I don't think I would do it but who knows.....sure would be an easy way to clean the mats. Just FYI, the dry cleaners do a great job on the rugs in my house. I bet they could do the floor mats.

Todd

there's no foam on the back, it's rubber. it's just the same as you would wash your bathroom mats. Both have the same type of back, but floor mats are thicker. Why would anyone take them to the cleaners?

@james2538 you probably had the dryer set on high heat. this is why you would use the Air dry setting.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
justinrn21

My Ride: 00 323ci / 91 318is
I have always put my floor mats in my washing machine. My parents do have one of those nice front loading machines so there is no agitator. They always come out clean and then I just let them air dry.
justinrn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
win-by-miles

hey guys... i did it... front load washer for 25 min on quick wash.....

now just letting it air dry... works great
Old 12-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
C4RLOS

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Good to know...

FOR SALE: pre-facelift sideskirts and front and rear bumpers | 19" hyperblack VMR V715 wheels (in sig)

C4RLOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
there's no foam on the back, it's rubber. it's just the same as you would wash your bathroom mats. Both have the same type of back, but floor mats are thicker. Why would anyone take them to the cleaners?

@james2538 you probably had the dryer set on high heat. this is why you would use the Air dry setting.
They were ruined before I even got to the dryer. The agitator ate them alive. On my carpet mats I have foam backing. The part with the velcro. That is what was destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by win-by-miles View Post
hey guys... i did it... front load washer for 25 min on quick wash.....

now just letting it air dry... works great
As long as your washing machine has no agitator (ie: front load) your good to go!

Last edited by james2538; 12-25-2007 at 11:35 PM.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #14
logikgr

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to logikgr
I wash my carpets once every month in my (agitator) washing machine. Twelve cycles later, and they still look new, foam backing is perfect. I use the gentle/intermittent agitation setting. I bought a set of OEM all weathers, but didn't like em much. After the washer, I throw them in the dryer.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
PLAN-B

My Ride: 2005 E60 525i update
DO NOT put ur matts in the washing machine just vacum them and brush the with a brush, water and relevant detergent!!!!
PLAN-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
toddkageals

My Ride: 2008 335i sport/prem
Well....I'll say this....I AM going to try putting them in my front loader. I also have used the high pressure car wash spray....now that works great at getting the deep down stuff. Oh yeah.....I have OEM mats and they have foam on the back, not rubber.

Todd
toddkageals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Dang it, now you guys want to make me try it, you saw the pics, mine are nasty. Hold on, getting the mats...OK, they are in, top loading washing machine, put them on hot wash, 8 min delicate, even threw in my Downey ball. Will let you know how it turns out once I throw them in the dryer. Just floor mats, nothing like an experiment. Mythbuster challenge??
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Well, update, my 04 coupe pads came out the washer, foam backing and all, nice and clean, smelling like Downey. In the drier right now on gentile. It works fine. Sad thing is with the snow and mud....will be back to what they looked like tomorrow. Have no fear, just some dang floor mats.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #19
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
I do this all the time .... works great!!
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #20
M3kka
Banned

My Ride: Another Make Vehicle
I feel like an azz saying this, put I use my rubber mats all year round. My front carpets were dirty as hell and shredded underneath the foam area when I bought the car in november. I decided to buy rubber mats and wash them whenever I wash the car.
M3kka is offline   Reply With Quote