E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
328insane

My Ride: 2000 328i
AC clutch replacement?

Can anybody tell me how hard it is to change the AC compressor clutch assembly on a 2000 328i?

Thanks in advance

328insane
328insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
328insane

nobody on this site or BF.com seems to have any input or Ideas......sweet
Old 08-20-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
illduce
Just Gettin Started

My Ride: 00 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to illduce
I'm not sure but I don't think u can replace it. I know the dealer sells the whole ac compressor they don't sell just the clutch. I had to change my ac compressor when my ac clutch went bad. got it for 150 so it wasn't bad.
illduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
328insane

how much was it to recharge the system after that? did you get the kit to DIY it? Thanks for the info.....I appreciate it
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
gunth3r

My Ride: E36 M power
I replaced the clutch plate on the compressor before. The dealer doesn't sell just the clutch plate so you're going to have to find a used scrapped compressor and take off the clutch plate. I got mine free from the wrecking yard.

*Removal for a compressor that is off the car*
You can use a impact gun to get the 13mm nut off the front of the pulley then there's a series of washers that you should keep track of that comes off the pulley. Once the pulley comes off there's a clip holding the clutch plate on. Remove that and it should come off. I used this method on getting the clutch plate off the used compressor.

*Removal for the compressor on the car*
But there's no room for the impact wrench between the fan shroud so the method i used to get the clutch plate off of the compressor on the car was by holding the pulley with my hand and untightening the bolt. It only takes one swift turn to brake it loose then its no problem getting the pulley off.

After the pulley is removed you have to take off the clutch plate, First remove the clip then pull it off. It may be kinda seized from the heat of the motor so I had to spray some pb blaster on it and tap it with a screwdriver and hammer to lossen it up. Make sure you don't tap on the lip where the clip slips into. Its aluminum and will break.

I would recommend taking off the clutch pack from the compressor off the car first then you'll see what needs to be done before you do it to yours.

Make sure you clean the magnetic pulley that the clutch plate goes on before reinstalling, dirt and grim will cause it to clatter.

Good luck buddy.

FYI- It didn't fix my problem, i think i got a bad clutch pack.
gunth3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
328insane

thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it! Mine is clattering right now, I may see about taking it apart and cleaning it first. Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
alvocado

My Ride: 2002 330CIC Sport
Are you sure it's just the clutch or is the compressor going bad? I just had one changed on a Yukon last week and learned that if you change the compressor, you also need to change the accumlator and orifice tube. You'll need to flush the system before recharging and you need to carefully measure the amount of compressor oil removed in order to fill the new unit to the same level. Unless you do A/C work often and have all the equipment, this is one to hire out IMO.
alvocado is offline   Reply With Quote