E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
jnbroadbent

My Ride: 2000 328i
Why doesn't my car have any power when I give it gas?

I literally floor it, the rpms go up to 2500 and i top at ~35 mph after 10 seconds.

A little background- This happened about 3-4 months ago after getting gas, but my EML light came on. I was close to my house and it was very late so I decided to take care of it in the morning. In the morning we are good with no problems do I didn't bother.

Today, filled it completely up (very rare latley) and it wouldn't even start the first time. I had to let it crank for 2-3 seconds before it would start and I had no power but my EML light wasn't on. Once again I was approx 2-3 miles away from home so I got home, ate some food and looked into the problem. Check my air filter to see if it was clogged or something but that is good, oil is completely full and somewhat still fresh. I do have my CEL light on, it comes and goes but I'm pretty sure it reads one of my cylinders are misfiring (most probably from a coil issue I've been having on and off)

I'm going to look into in the morning and see what I can diagnose. Any idea why?

nd what is the EML light?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
caaznkid

My Ride: BMW 325i
I aint an expert or anything but. Fuel filter + fuel pump maybe. On my e30 a while back the car wouldn't start because the fuel filter was all jacked up. When I replaced it the car started right up haha.
caaznkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbroadbent View Post
I literally floor it, the rpms go up to 2500 and i top at ~35 mph after 10 seconds.

I'm going to look into in the morning and see what I can diagnose. Any idea why?

EML - Electronic Motor Load Regulation

common problem when both EML/CEL lights are on and these symptoms if "safe mode." definitely take it to the dealer, something is wrong

if indeed your car is in safe mode, the OBC is doing it on purpose. its a precaution because something is wrong and the car is preventing further damage

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
endy

My Ride: W211 E55 AMG
maybe it's only got 197 hp

just playing, you probably got the answer from above ^^^s
Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Visit your Stealer..
Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci & z33 HR
the coils or maf sensor......well, they will tell you anyway

djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Well does it just have no power or is it running rough too?

When I had my intake cam position sensor go out, it wouldn't start, then run really rough at lower RPMs. Once the RPMs were up, it would feel smooth but have NO power.

Also could be the MAF sensor or coils/plugs like djnekkon said.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
jnbroadbent

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Well does it just have no power or is it running rough too?

When I had my intake cam position sensor go out, it wouldn't start, then run really rough at lower RPMs. Once the RPMs were up, it would feel smooth but have NO power.

Also could be the MAF sensor or coils/plugs like djnekkon said.
It idles fine I think, maybe a little jumpy. I'll check it out again here in a bit.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
Remington328

My Ride: 2000 328Ci!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbroadbent View Post

A little background- This happened about 3-4 months ago after getting gas, but my EML light came on. I was close to my house and it was very late so I decided to take care of it in the morning. In the morning we are good with no problems do I didn't bother.

Today, filled it completely up (very rare latley) and it wouldn't even start the first time. I had to let it crank for 2-3 seconds before it would start and I had no power but my EML light wasn't on. Once again I was approx 2-3 miles away from home so I got home, ate some food and looked into the problem. Check my air filter to see if it was clogged or something but that is good, oil is completely full and somewhat still fresh. I do have my CEL light on, it comes and goes but I'm pretty sure it reads one of my cylinders are misfiring (most probably from a coil issue I've been having on and off)

Is it a manual? Have you stalled it out recently? Mine did the same thing after I stalled it twice in a row(don't ask k, I was drinkin...). I haven't figured out whats wrong yet, but it may help
Remington328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #10
slog7

My Ride: 135i
I think it is in 'safe mode'
slog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 AM   #11
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by slog7 View Post
I think it is in 'safe mode'
sounds like it...he should take it in

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
dicinya

My Ride: 330ci
I cannot tell you exactly whats wrong with the car, But from what you are saying from your symptoms it sounds like your throttle body went out on you just my speculation.

The way the 99-00 M52tu engines are is that the engine has a MDK throttle body it has 2 potentiometers built into the throttle body (MDK). Now those MDK's have a cable that goes from the foot pedal to the T.B. the potentiometers have obviously 2 signals that goes to the DME, there for checking the plausibility, If one signals goes out then car feels real sluggish like your saying and wont really go above 35mph. If both signals goes out then the car will only go up the 1500 rpm and wont go anywhere.

Also this will set the EML light on so yes you will have to go to the dealer and check on this or to on independent shop with a gt1 or dis+ witch they should have anyways. hope this helps.
dicinya is offline   Reply With Quote