E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
littlebeemer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7
My Ride: 316
Hi,

Interesting thread...

I've a 2004 316 with the 1800 N46 Valvetronic engine.

My starter motor started playing up a while back and my friendly garage man and myself were looking 'round the top of the inlet manifold trying to figure out the easiest way to get at the starter... incidentally we decided there's no easy way!!!

We did change it but that's another story!!!

However when we removed the accoustic cover over the inlet manifold there was an electrical connector that was not connected to anything... There was a mating socket on the inlet manifold so we plugged it in and the car has been running normally ever since - it appeared to be running ok previously.

This connector plugged into a small round thingy which had what appeared to have a rubber breather pipe, about 4 inches long, running from it further up the manifold i.e. nearer the top of the engine (sorry that's not a good description). Is this the DISA valve I have read about and which effectively apparently alters the manifold characteristics to give an increase in power? I can't really detect any difference in the car's performance with it connected and I'm wondering whether perhaps it does nothing on this model. I think I'm right in saying this engine develops 115 bhp.

There has been a new 'noise' in the car lately and I 'think' it started about the time we played 'round with the starter - and plugged this thing in - so I've disconnected it this afternoon and we'll see what happens. I presume if it's a valve of some sort it may make a noise when it operates - but there again it may not be doing anything.

Would I be right tho' in saying that the fact that I have a matching socket for this plug mean there IS a DISA valve on this car?

Would appreciate any input on this - thanks,

John
littlebeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #22
badd ass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manila
Posts: 8
My Ride: bmw e46 316i
Jimma, any update on your project?
i also have the same car/engine and would love an additional power.

thanks
badd ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #23
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Well I finally got round to doing it, only took about an hour to replace the modules. Car started fine as it should have done, was a bit nervous that the breakers may have got the bits mixed up but all was ok.

So this is what I found although I ve not had chance to fully analyse it yet nor get the performance meter on it.

Bearing in mind that the bhp increase over the 316 is 13bhp I was aware that I wouldnt notice a drastic change although it should be noticable

After installing it I took the car out and the first thing I noticed was the car appeared more eager to rev, previously it always felt as if it was being held back (a bit like I was carrying alot of weight in the boot) this improved most noticably after 3500rpm. The improvement low down was less noticable, there was still a flat spot (the one that can be induced to great effect if you pull away in second) although this also appeared to be better with the car requiring less revs to get over the flat spot, I would put this down to the increase in torque betweeen the 316 and 318.

In gear acceleration appeared to be improved again with the car more eager to get through the rev range and exiting roundabouts in second is more urgent.

I havnt had oportunity to assess if the DISA is working properly yet. I am still using the 316 engine loom it did have the wiring for the DISA although Im aware there is some additional wiring in the 318 loom. Ive yet to find any relavant wiring diagrams for the M43 E46 engine so if anybody knows where I can find one that would be great.

Overall at present I am please with the results of the conversion and certainly has no side effects, gains although marginal are there to be had and of course a re-map on top of this would improve things further.

I had to re-align the new ignition key to the central locking

Like i said ive not had time to put the performance meter on or do any significant miles but ill test further and let you know what I find, I think ive pretty much swapped over every part from the 318 now but if anyone knows anything ive missed let me know

hope this helps guys

Last edited by jimma; 05-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeemer View Post
Hi,

Interesting thread...

I've a 2004 316 with the 1800 N46 Valvetronic engine.

My starter motor started playing up a while back and my friendly garage man and myself were looking 'round the top of the inlet manifold trying to figure out the easiest way to get at the starter... incidentally we decided there's no easy way!!!

We did change it but that's another story!!!

However when we removed the accoustic cover over the inlet manifold there was an electrical connector that was not connected to anything... There was a mating socket on the inlet manifold so we plugged it in and the car has been running normally ever since - it appeared to be running ok previously.

This connector plugged into a small round thingy which had what appeared to have a rubber breather pipe, about 4 inches long, running from it further up the manifold i.e. nearer the top of the engine (sorry that's not a good description). Is this the DISA valve I have read about and which effectively apparently alters the manifold characteristics to give an increase in power? I can't really detect any difference in the car's performance with it connected and I'm wondering whether perhaps it does nothing on this model. I think I'm right in saying this engine develops 115 bhp.

There has been a new 'noise' in the car lately and I 'think' it started about the time we played 'round with the starter - and plugged this thing in - so I've disconnected it this afternoon and we'll see what happens. I presume if it's a valve of some sort it may make a noise when it operates - but there again it may not be doing anything.

Would I be right tho' in saying that the fact that I have a matching socket for this plug mean there IS a DISA valve on this car?

Would appreciate any input on this - thanks,

John
Hi John

I am not to familier with this engine, is it a 2004 model? The N46 has a fuel tank breather valve that has a pipe to the underside and a pipe to the throttle body. Emission control device

I cannot see why it would be disconnected unless the valve was functioning incorrectly causing idle problesm but as you said its all ok maybe someone simply forgot to plug it back in.

Last edited by jimma; 05-16-2009 at 06:06 PM.
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #25
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgin View Post
I had a '99 316i silver V reg in uk and my bro had a 00' 318i W reg. There was litterally no difference in how the cars handled. In fact mine felt better IMHO maybe because mine had 16" wheels while my bro's had 15".
I now have a 02' 318i but this has the newer N42 engine in Australia. I feel no real difference apart from better fuel economy on long motorway driving.
I think its a waste of time and energy trying to convert a 316i to have 10 more bhps.
Hi mate

As you say the difference is negliable however a difference is there, also although the gain is only in the region of 10bhp the conversion cost in the region of only 140.00 people can pay upwards of 300 for a remap to get less gain. Also if you did remap the 318 ecu the the gain over the 316 would be in the region of 21bhp.

There again I also have a 50bhp direct port nitrous kit fitted which hands down is the easiest and quickest way to get instant power

Last edited by jimma; 05-16-2009 at 06:19 PM.
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
ZeroSum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 361
My Ride: 05 325
Honestly I would put the money in safe place and save up for a new car with a bigger engine- I regularly get to drive a 420 bhp 1500 kgs car and even that can seem sluggish at times
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #27
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
Honestly I would put the money in safe place and save up for a new car with a bigger engine- I regularly get to drive a 420 bhp 1500 kgs car and even that can seem sluggish at times
Nah, I enjoy just finding new things out and learning how to improve things, if my sole objective was to own and drive the most powerful / quickest car I could off the shelf then I would'nt own a german car tbh

I understand your point but a 420bhp car to run me to work and back and pick up the shopping never will be my objective.
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #28
ZeroSum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 361
My Ride: 05 325
Well I suppose thats what its all about - if you enjoy doing it then go for it. I have just done a major DIY (engine swap) and it was brilliant fun, would not have been worth doing if I got a garage to do it but as I picked the engine up very reasonably and did all the work myself it cost hardly anything. Cheers.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #29
heineoen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 41
My Ride: E46 2004 Tour.N46B18
Send a message via MSN to heineoen
But is i possible?

Jimma, what is the status?
heineoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
Kev T360
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 20
My Ride: e46 318i SE
would it not be quicker and cheeper to just change the airbox for an induction kit and run V-power fuel? that might get you a few extra BHP.
Kev T360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #31
heineoen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 41
My Ride: E46 2004 Tour.N46B18
Send a message via MSN to heineoen
Done that allredy
It't practicaly the same engine so I don't understand why anyone have completet to convert it..

M43B19

"The 1.9 L (1895cc) M43B19 was the largest M43 engine. It produced 87 kW (117 hp) and 180 Nm (133 ftlbf) or 77 kW (103 hp) and 165 Nm (122 ftlbf). It used BMW BMS 46 fuel injection.

It's also known as M43 T engine. It had twin-balancing shafts.

Applications:

* 87 kW (117 hp) and 180 Nm (133 ftlbf)
o 1998-2001 E46 318i/318Ci
o 1998-2001 E36 Z3 1.8/Z3 1.9i

* 77 kW (103 hp) and 165 Nm (122 ftlbf)
o 1999-2000 E36 316i compact
o 1998-2001 E46 316i"
heineoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #32
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev T360 View Post
would it not be quicker and cheeper to just change the airbox for an induction kit and run V-power fuel? that might get you a few extra BHP.
Unfortunately no induction kit could give a 14bhp increase unless there was something seriously wrong with the design of the intake as standard. Especially when the cost of a secondhand ecu is half the price of a decent induction kit
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #33
jack.kupracz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PL
Posts: 6
My Ride: E46
I've been studying this thread for a while. Unfortunately I have 316i M43TU as well and would like to improve performance a lil' bit. I replaced standard air filter with ITG Air flow series, but honestly I haven't noticed any progress so far. Yesterday I made 4 attempts 0 - 60 mph and the result was pretty poor. 12.1 secs. (17" alloys 206/65 tires and one 80kgs passenger on board). Do you have any suggestions how to make the car more eager and why BMW introduced this model, if 318i had already existed. Thank you in advance! BTW Good job jimma!
jack.kupracz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #34
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Thanks Jack

12.1 seconds seems pretty much on standard specification so at least your engine probably isnt suffering any problems, my car was producing on average about 12.3 seconds prior to changing over the ECU etc. The book time for the 318 is around 10.1 seconds so a remarkable difference, the torque figure for the 316 is 165nm@2500 and 180nm@3900 for the 318 so again quite a difference and accounts for the improved drivability imo.

Like yourself there was no noticable improvment with an induction kit or cat-back exhaust system, although it was still something I felt like doing there has been no detrimental effect.

I would like to hear from anybody who has changed the camshaft and see what the results are as this could be an option although was quite expensive when I looked into it sometime ago.

Still the cheapest option is to swap the ecu's etc as discussed above.

Would be interested to know the reason for producing a 'low power' 316 and a 'high power' 318 I heard although I cannot confirm that it was because the 316 entered a lower taxation bracket in germany over the 318 but that wouldnt explain it's arrival in other countries without that taxation law so not sure...anyone else know?

Last edited by jimma; 12-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #35
MK IV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Folkestone - UK
Posts: 21
My Ride: BMW 316 I SE 2003
Send a message via MSN to MK IV
hi, i know its not the reason bmw decided to do it, but it makes a difference in insurance, as the 318 counts as 'high performance' and the 316 does not.
MK IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #36
Michael M3ndoza
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 5
My Ride: 318i 2001 E46
Hi all,
I have a 2001 model e46 318i m43 engine and it has a lag specially on the getgo I wonder what's wrong with my engine.
Should I trade my m43 engine to a m52 330ci or is there a fix with the m43.
Michael M3ndoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
heineoen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Norway
Posts: 41
My Ride: E46 2004 Tour.N46B18
Send a message via MSN to heineoen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma View Post
Well I finally got round to doing it, only took about an hour to replace the modules. Car started fine as it should have done, was a bit nervous that the breakers may have got the bits mixed up but all was ok.

So this is what I found although I ve not had chance to fully analyse it yet nor get the performance meter on it.

Bearing in mind that the bhp increase over the 316 is 13bhp I was aware that I wouldnt notice a drastic change although it should be noticable

After installing it I took the car out and the first thing I noticed was the car appeared more eager to rev, previously it always felt as if it was being held back (a bit like I was carrying alot of weight in the boot) this improved most noticably after 3500rpm. The improvement low down was less noticable, there was still a flat spot (the one that can be induced to great effect if you pull away in second) although this also appeared to be better with the car requiring less revs to get over the flat spot, I would put this down to the increase in torque betweeen the 316 and 318.

In gear acceleration appeared to be improved again with the car more eager to get through the rev range and exiting roundabouts in second is more urgent.

I havnt had oportunity to assess if the DISA is working properly yet. I am still using the 316 engine loom it did have the wiring for the DISA although Im aware there is some additional wiring in the 318 loom. Ive yet to find any relavant wiring diagrams for the M43 E46 engine so if anybody knows where I can find one that would be great.

Overall at present I am please with the results of the conversion and certainly has no side effects, gains although marginal are there to be had and of course a re-map on top of this would improve things further.

I had to re-align the new ignition key to the central locking

Like i said ive not had time to put the performance meter on or do any significant miles but ill test further and let you know what I find, I think ive pretty much swapped over every part from the 318 now but if anyone knows anything ive missed let me know

hope this helps guys
Can you please make a "DIY" and "part's you need" list
Clocked 0-60mph with the new setup?
heineoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #38
330xiBoarder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,383
My Ride: a car
yeah id like to know the 0-60 asa well
330xiBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #39
jimma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 34
My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineoen View Post
Can you please make a "DIY" and "part's you need" list
Clocked 0-60mph with the new setup?
I will write one up when I get a bit of time etc and take the pictures

I havnt got round to doing a 0-60 check yet as Im going to need to get / borrow another performance meter

Ill post here as soon as I know what it is, wish I had got round to doing a before and after test before doing the conversation to get a proper comparision (taking into account weather conditions etc)
jimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #40
vickk11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1
My Ride: 316 e46
Hi all,
Interesting tread. I am upgrading my 316 e46 to a 318 and found out the difference thanks to you all and other links on the net. The only difference between the 316 and 318 m43TU engine is the camshaft and the DISA valve. Also when they are being changed the computer should be coded to the change. And that's it! The camshaft holds the intake valves a tiny bit longer open, and the DISA valve is not present on the 316. I hope I can feel it after I change all these Here is 2 pics I found that can show a bit..
DISA part number: 11-61-1-438-404
316 camshaft number: 11311436853
318 camshaft number: 11311739176
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42476_big.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	582697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_42477_big.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	582698  

Last edited by vickk11; 12-03-2014 at 07:00 PM.
vickk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use