E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
dinane46328i

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to dinane46328i
My car sounds like a semi truck untill about 3k rpm

My car sounds like a semi truck! Every time a accelerate from a light, my sounds like there a mack truck. Its even worse with the AC on. I think this is due to temp starting to get a little warmer here. Also feels like the car has no power at all. Seems to get better pasted 3k rpm but what could be causing this?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
for me it was the weather change. If you notice the problem getting less noticeable at night then its definitely the weather, because air is denser when it is cooler out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
Mine too. I think that it's the fan that's driven via clutch off of the crank shaft. That's why it's matched to the rpm of the engine and only when the car is warm.

Am I right?
Old 05-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iBMW View Post
Mine too. I think that it's the fan that's driven via clutch off of the crank shaft. That's why it's matched to the rpm of the engine and only when the car is warm.

Am I right?
yes you are. it's the clutch fan that comes on while on a local road(doesn't need to come on at the highway, obviously) and matches the engine RPM up to like 3 or 4k rpm. it does make the car sound like a mack truck.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
dinane46328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
yes you are. it's the clutch fan that comes on while on a local road(doesn't need to come on at the highway, obviously) and matches the engine RPM up to like 3 or 4k rpm. it does make the car sound like a mack truck.
Could it also explain powerloss?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
328iBMW

My Ride: C320
A fan does take a few hp. I don't know exactly how much.

Is this a feature of steps only? Or manuals too?
Old 05-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
eek142

My Ride: E46
auxiliary fan is coming on because of the hot weather when you are stopped. once you reach 20 mph (i think, maybe 15- cant remember..) it turns off. it's just some additional cooling since it's getting hot out...
eek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
dinane46328i

Well in my car, it keeps doing it at freeway speeds also , is there like a sensor or something that needs replaceing? Do the 33o's have an updated fan system? my friend has a 330i, never heard anything as loud as this.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
dinane46328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinane46328i View Post
Well in my car, it keeps doing it at freeway speeds also , is there like a sensor or something that needs replaceing? Do the 33o's have an updated fan system? my friend has a 330i, never heard anything as loud as this.
???
Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
mcmc

My Ride: 2003 330i
I get this sound at around 2000 RPM and goes away once I hit 2500. Most noticeable after the engine has warned up. Anyone know if it's normal or something might be going wrong?
mcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #11
defex

My Ride: 330i
My car started sounding like this recently also. I don't know what it is but it doesn't go away. :/
defex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
drummersam65

My Ride: 323i
All automatics, m3's and most, if not all 323's and 328's have a mechanical fan that is connected to the water pump. That is what is causing the noise. There are a few people who have replaced their mechanical/clutch fans with electric fans, but most of them are e30 and e36ers, and there is very little information about it. I have wanted to do this for a long time but there is so much I don't know about it.

I want to do this conversion for a few reasons...
1. Many people have had their fan clutch literally explode resulting in overheating, damage to the hood, as well as slicing belts and hoses.
2. There is a considerable loss of power while the fan clutch is in operation.
3. Replacing with an electric fan should let the engine run a bit smoother because of the decrease in parasitic drag on the engine, as well as improving acceleration, throttle response, and an increase in low end torque.
4. Finally, I want to get rid of the Mack truck sound!

There are a few options...
The OEM fan is fairly expensive http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalo...38/4147815.htm and I wouldn't know how to wire it up like facelifted manuals.

From what I have read 16in is the right size for our cars, but I could be wrong. There are aftermarket alternatives:
Flex a Lite are popular
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
along with Derale
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

bimmerworld.com/ has a 16in Spal electric puller fan, mounting kit, and a relay, but I called and told him what I wanted to do and he did not recommend doing it? He told me it was an auxiliary fan, which I thought was the pusher fan, but it clearly states it is a puller fan. Has anyone used this fan?

I know you would need to pair them with some kind of control like this http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4860934+309446 or this one would have a variable speed and temperature setting http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Some people even remove there fans altogether... http://www.understeer.com/fanclutchmod.shtml, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it because you can tell your fan clutch is working very hard because of the loud noise. And when I go into 7.0 on the hidden OBC functions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=easter+eggs) on a hot day in traffic I can run as hot as 95 degrees Celsius which is about 203 degrees Fahrenheit. Those numbers would be much hotter if I didn't have the fan in there.

Sorry for the long post, So if anyone has actually done this conversion, what fan did you use? How did you wire it up?

Last edited by drummersam65; 05-30-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: mistake
drummersam65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
323iINt.o

My Ride: 328i
i like the mack noise.

but to me it sounds more like a jet engine lol

NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
dinane46328i

So this is the fan comeing out of the moter correct.

aslo the manual trans e46's use the fan found here, http://www.oembimmerparts.com/catalo...38/4147815.htm.

Why couldn't out just get one of those aftermarket fans and wire to always be on when the car is on, regardless of temp and rpm?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 AM   #15
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummersam65 View Post
I want to do this conversion for a few reasons;
1. Many people have had their fan clutch literally explode resulting in overheating, damage to the hood, as well as slicing belts and hoses.

i can definitely verify this reason. my fan clutch blew up TWICE on me, puncturing my hood both times(had the gas pedal floored, and heard a loud bang). first time, i only replaced the fan blade and shroud. so when it happened the second time, the independent bmw mechanic replaced my fan coupling, water pump, fan blade again, and radiator(and so far, so good- no fan blowing up again, lol). fan coupling being part #2 in this diagram, and fan blade obviously part #1, just incase this happens to anyone else;

Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
mcmc

My Ride: 2003 330i
Hmm that's very interesting. I have 2003 330i manual and have similar sound. I wonder if it's something else for my case....
mcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #17
drummersam65

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
So this is the fan comeing out of the moter correct.

Why couldn't out just get one of those aftermarket fans and wire to always be on when the car is on, regardless of temp and rpm?
Yea its the fan connected to the engine.

You could have it always on but that is not the most efficient way; some of the fans can draw up to 19 amps, so instead of draining power directly from you engine it is making your alternator work harder... Not to mention some of the fans may be equally as loud as a mechanical fan like Mite46 when he installed his, watch this video and you will see what i am talking about http://e46.mit.edu/images/2006-08-02...n/MVI_9293.avi
And your car would take a long time to warm up in the summer months, and you wouldnt need the fan at all during winter months so it would just be eating up power for no reason.

This would be an alright solution but you would have to wire up a master switch that could turn everything on and off, and you would have to keep an eye on your obc temp reading (not the stupid buffered temp gauge) ... It just seems like there would be an easier way since all of the facelifted manuals have theirs like this from the factory.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #18
dinane46328i

ok so today it was 78 out, very nice day, yet the dam fan was still on, the car was only on for about 5 min and i could hear it. is there a temp sensor or somethign that tells it that it's to hot?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
dinane46328i

Quote:
ok so today it was 78 out, very nice day, yet the dam fan was still on, the car was only on for about 5 min and i could hear it. is there a temp sensor or somethign that tells it that it's to hot?
???
Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #20
bazz780

My Ride: 323ci auto
my 323ci does exactly this and it is VERY annoying, sounds like a range rover or bus!!

never heard it on any other bmw, and always happens when hot... surely something can be done to make this noise go away, it isnt normal is it?
bazz780 is offline   Reply With Quote