E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Seenary

My Ride: 330ci M sport
car popping out of gear

Hey guys,
Quick question.....my car for the third time today popped out of third gear.....it seems to happen when im decelerating in third at about 1900-2000 rpm.....has anyone experienced this before? my car has a ac schnitzer SSk, so can it be attributed to that perhaps????

thanks in advance!
Seenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
///Bruce

My Ride: 2003.5 M3C
Sounds like an old fashion syncho problem. It MIGHT be linked to the SSK. I'm not sure about this. Did this problem happen before you put the kit in? If not, I'd say it's the kit mis-installed.
///Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
Seenary

well i bought the car pre owned and it already had the ssk in it....so i dont know whether or not it can be attributed to the ssk
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
mark///m3

My Ride: turbo e30; x5 4.6is
i'd be scared if i were you. from what i've heard you can't get parts for the tranny so you might need a new one

Old 02-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
deilenberger

My Ride: '02 M3C, '03 525iT +
I'd be somewhat concerned also. It would be worthwhile to get someone who knows the shifter mechanism to look at the SS installation. It's possible it's not installed correctly and is exerting force on the shifter when in 3rd.

As Mark said - it's also possible it's a synchro problem (although those usually exhibit themselves when putting the car into gear, not after it's in gear), or a bent or worn shift fork. In either case - the problem here is there are no parts available for these transmissions.. the fix is to swap it out for a rebuilt one from BMW which is up in the megabucks region.
deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
FABIO

My Ride: 01 E46 M3
It could be the synchro's or it can also be the cold weather or may possibly also need a fluid change.

Does this happen mainly when the car is cold?

One other question, may sound stupid but it's possible. Do you keep your hand on the shifter? and are you sure you fully engage it in third gear? This used to happen to me in third as well until i realized then when having it in third gear and hitting the gas i would unconciously be putting slight pressure on the shift lever and made it pop out of gear.

Good luck!

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie
R10's

Link To Pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...544&highlight=
FABIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
deilenberger

My Ride: '02 M3C, '03 525iT +
BTW - your registration lists a 330ci "M Sport" (whatever that is..) if it's a 330ci - it uses a different transmission and I believe parts are available for it. It will probably help if you actually post in the correct forum for your car.. if it isn't an M3 - this isn't where you'll get good answers.
deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Also, theres more people that visit the General Section of this forum

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Carbon///M3

My Ride: e46 M3 yet again!
Send a message via AIM to Carbon///M3
it may be something as simple as Tranny mounts.. did you upgrade those when you put in the SSK?.. it's likely that if you didnt upgrade, they could be indeed causing the problem.. and that'd be an easy fix

-Alex
Old 02-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Seenary

BTW: i traded in my 330 for the M3.

This problem has only happened three times, and you know what I think what FABIO said is quite accurate.....cause all three times after it popped out i realized by hand on the shifter....im hoping this is the problem....since i usually do hold onto the shifter when i shift into third

ALso, another reason i think its the above reason, would be why wouldnt it happen in any other gear and only third???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FABIO View Post
It could be the synchro's or it can also be the cold weather or may possibly also need a fluid change.

Does this happen mainly when the car is cold?

One other question, may sound stupid but it's possible. Do you keep your hand on the shifter? and are you sure you fully engage it in third gear? This used to happen to me in third as well until i realized then when having it in third gear and hitting the gas i would unconciously be putting slight pressure on the shift lever and made it pop out of gear.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
FABIO

My Ride: 01 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenary View Post
BTW: i traded in my 330 for the M3.

This problem has only happened three times, and you know what I think what FABIO said is quite accurate.....cause all three times after it popped out i realized by hand on the shifter....im hoping this is the problem....since i usually do hold onto the shifter when i shift into third

ALso, another reason i think its the above reason, would be why wouldnt it happen in any other gear and only third???

Glad i was able to give a little insight. Try to pay attention next time (if there is a next time, hopefully not) it happens as to where your hands were and make sure to push it fully in gear.

It hasn't happened to me in months, and i tried really hard to make it pop out of gear on purpose but i couldn't get it to pop out so i'm happy.

OO and just to answer your question above, it could be the third gear synchro's. Not all the synchro's go bad and from what little i know each gear has it's own synchro's. So it would be possible for just third gear to pop out if it were the 3rd gear synchro's but we hope that's not the case.

Mods: V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, Radenergie
R10's

Link To Pics: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...544&highlight=

Last edited by FABIO; 02-21-2007 at 12:57 PM.
FABIO is offline   Reply With Quote