E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
scudmiss

My Ride: '01 325i
Transmission Flush at 100,000 miles?

Hi there,

I have been debating for some time whether I should do an automatic transmission fluid change (including filter change, obviously). I have a hair over 100,000 miles on my 2001 325i and am planning on keeping the vehicle for as long as possible (would love to hit 250,000 on it).

I currently do not have any issues with the transmission, except in third gear the RPM's will dip about 300 upon acceleration then continue to rise. (Much like a gear shift, but without actually shifting gears). The dealership told me this was normal about 40,000 miles ago.

Should I change my tranny fluid?

Thanks,
Mike
scudmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
platanito

My Ride: 06 ZCP M3,91 E30vert
There is no such thing as lifetime fluids. Do search and you will see a bunch threads on this topic. Read some of the links below, but I am sure there are more. I flushed mine at 95k and I will be doing it every 30k-60k depending on when I can perform them. GL

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...transmission00

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=366147

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=126486

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438667 DIY GOOD INFO.

Hope this helps.
platanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Bimmer44

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudmiss View Post
Hi there,

I have been debating for some time whether I should do an automatic transmission fluid change (including filter change, obviously). I have a hair over 100,000 miles on my 2001 325i and am planning on keeping the vehicle for as long as possible (would love to hit 250,000 on it).

I currently do not have any issues with the transmission, except in third gear the RPM's will dip about 300 upon acceleration then continue to rise. (Much like a gear shift, but without actually shifting gears). The dealership told me this was normal about 40,000 miles ago.

Should I change my tranny fluid?

Thanks,
Mike

BTW What does 100,000 Miles equal out to in KM's???????????????
Bimmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
leej323

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer44 View Post
BTW What does 100,000 Miles equal out to in KM's???????????????
1 km = .62 mile
leej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
importhunnie

My Ride: 01 330xi TiAg
Send a message via MSN to importhunnie
1.7km=1mi
BMW Performance front calipers/TMS spacers/H&R studs
BBS CH/thule 753
importhunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
scudmiss

Thank you for the info. It appears a transmission flush is in order!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
enzo_the_baker

My Ride: 328Ci, 328iC, X3
Interesting. I took mine (with 130K miles) in to the dealer for an oil change/brake flush last week and asked them to do a tranny flush as well. They outright refused to do it, saying that the transmission fluid is lifetime and that flushing the old fluid could actually cause more problems than not changing it. I've never heard of a dealer's service department actually turning down requested work-- they usually recommend everything under the sun, necessary or not!
enzo_the_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Bimmer44

How come my car doesnt have Miles on the speedometre i live in Canada?????????????
Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo_the_baker View Post
Interesting. I took mine (with 130K miles) in to the dealer for an oil change/brake flush last week and asked them to do a tranny flush as well. They outright refused to do it, saying that the transmission fluid is lifetime and that flushing the old fluid could actually cause more problems than not changing it. I've never heard of a dealer's service department actually turning down requested work-- they usually recommend everything under the sun, necessary or not!
Go to an independant then.
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Red_wagen

My Ride: ZHP
Send a message via AIM to Red_wagen
I asked a well known indy shop in my area and he said that if you don't change it before 50k you're better off leaving the fluid in there. He said he didn't find a correlation between changing tranny fluid every 50k and tranny longetivity. In other words, he saw trannies that had the fluid change break down before 100k miles and trannies that are running strong w/o a fluid change. Go figure. Basically he said, it's a crap shoot.

Previous:
2007 Mystic Blue 530i
2003 Gray Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Nice guys finish last.
And I'm a very nice guy...

-Jay

[IMG]Under construction[/IMG]
Red_wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
scudmiss

Hmm...Interesting comments. It appears there is no 'right' answer for this? I am skeptical to change my fluid since my tranny is operating just fine, but I do want to keep my car for as long as possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
milobloom242

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_wagen View Post
I asked a well known indy shop in my area and he said that if you don't change it before 50k you're better off leaving the fluid in there. He said he didn't find a correlation between changing tranny fluid every 50k and tranny longetivity. In other words, he saw trannies that had the fluid change break down before 100k miles and trannies that are running strong w/o a fluid change. Go figure. Basically he said, it's a crap shoot.
I got the same story from 2 indy shops in my area. But I just don't believe that fluids in between high velocity metal pieces can last the lifetime of most of the rest of the car's parts. So I picked one of those shops to change the fluid @ 70k (mostly highway), and they updated the step software too. 2 dealers in the area refused to change the fluid.
milobloom242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
scudmiss

Anyone with a similar situation as mine? Has anyone done a first time flush at around 100,000 and been successful long-term?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
changed at 100,000 mile a couple of years ago. I don't do a flush, just filter and drain(5 qts). This is the information I understand:

A long time ago when dextron III came out. GM said that the new formula will last 100k and that oxidation is the reason for it to break down( I'm guessing the GM also assumes that the tranny will not overheat and stuff). So, if it sealed then it should last forever(lifetime). Do you trust it? I don't.

Your point on changing the fluid.
Change the fluid now and risk f-ing it up. The tranny may last 200k w/o it. My thinking is that if you don't change the fluid, for sure it's going to f up. It's also a peace of mind too for me.

I'm consider draining it again soon. With no filter change, bc the first time things look Ok.
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
Bimmer44

Quote:
How come my car doesnt have Miles on the speedometre i live in Canada?????????????
Anyone know im a NOOB!!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 AM   #16
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Anyone know im a NOOB!!
Yes you are a noob, It doesn't have miles because Canada uses KM/H instead of MPH.

You should still have MPH in little letters under the KM.
Polish_328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #17
palomino

My Ride: e36 328, e46 330ci
there's really no right or wrong at this point.

either way is risky. people have already posted that they've changed the fluid after 100k+ miles with no problems. other people have done it and regretted it.

perhaps you could drain & refill it little by little over a few months? sort of like a fishtank, i guess. you cant change all the water all at once, or it could shock the fish & kill them or whatever.

Last edited by palomino; 02-17-2007 at 01:15 AM.
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:14 AM   #18
Polish_328Ci

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino View Post
there's really no right or wrong at this point.

either way is risky. people have already posted that they've changed the fluid after 100k+ miles with no problems. other people have done it and regretted it.

perhaps you could drain & refill it little by little over a few months? sort of like a fishtank, i guess. you cant change all the water all at once, or it could shock the fish & kill them or whatever.
Hhaha no worries, I know exactly what you mean, and that might not be a bad idea. Anyone else think thats smart?
Polish_328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
2fast2

My Ride: 99 323
If your transmission is working fine, now is the time to change the fluid and filter. Draining the transmission, dropping the pan, changing the filter, and refilling to the fill port with the transmission up to proper temperature (around 100 F) will not change ALL the fluid anyway.
Use the right fluid. I have researched and researched this trying to rationalize how I could use Dextron 3h instead of Texaco expensive stuff. Yesterday when picking up my 99 323 from the transmission shop (remanufactured this week) I spoke with the German owner / master technician who insisted I only use texaco because of the specific additives that are necessary for our transmissions (in my case 5L40E GM) as used in the BMW. Other people will share anecdotes about successful use of something else, but having just trusted my transmission to this guy to rebuild it, and this is what he does for a living, exclusively, I will respect his opinion. He also said change the fluid, maybe every other year or even third year if you don't drive much, but lifetime is the demise of these transmissions.
2fast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #20
Bimmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish_328Ci View Post
Yes you are a noob, It doesn't have miles because Canada uses KM/H instead of MPH.

You should still have MPH in little letters under the KM.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^No i don't!!!!!!!!!!!! thats why i'm confusedddddddddd?????????^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL!