E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Ajay

My Ride: 02 BMW 325i 5spd/nav
EML DSC BRAKE Light please help!!!!!!

Hi,
I have a 2002 325i. The EML, DSC, and yellow BRAKE light all come on. I am really worried. Does anyone know what could have triggered this? How do I fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
lennon31987

My Ride: imolarot II M
Send a message via AIM to lennon31987
my eml came on when my Cam Sensor went... what were you doing when this happend and how many miles are on the car

ILLm3 hates me cause im GGGOOODLOOKIIINN

seeking detailing perfection?
lennon31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Ajay

I was on a freeway going about 60mph. My car is a 5 spd. The car has a little over 62000 miles. I have not done the inspection II yet but it will be done this tuesday by a independent mechanic.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
tturedraider

My Ride: '04 Imola/NB ZHP:-)
My DSC and Brake lights came on when my DSC controller went south. I had to have the DSC controller and one wheel-speed sensor replaced.
tturedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
Ajay

Ok so I got my car back from the mechanic last wednesday. Inspection II has been done.

Today the lights turned on again. EML, brake, and dsc lights all went on.

When I lifted my foot from the gas the car jerked a bit and I felt a loss of power. I really need help.

I am planning to do more modifications(FI ) to the car but if the car continues to behave like this I might as well trade it in for something reliable like a camry.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
jusdtm

My Ride: E90 & EL53
Like ttruedraider said, it's probably a dsc/asc control unit or even hydro unit and/or abs wheel speed sensor. It might be a good idea to check the dsc pressure senors which are the two on the brake master cylinder. Oh and they are the exact same part so sometimes it's hard to tell which one is bad. The control unit and/or hydro unit will be expensive I think close to a grand. Be careful when ordering the control unit/hydro unit because some are asc and some are dsc and production date and vehicle options are important. But if you have the last 7 of your vin #, there should be no problems if you go to a dealer to order the part or parts.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
You're brake fluid level sensor could also be bad or the fluid could be low. The sensor is MUCH cheaper than a DSC unit. Have the codes pulled and that will give you the answer anyway, we are all guessing.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
14att

My Ride: E46 330Ci sport
Did you manage to figure what the problem was? Only my '01 330 does exactly the same thing (EML, DSC, Brake = yellow) once every few days. Restart fixes it temporarily but waiting to have it booked in.
14att is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
lore2486

My Ride: 04 m3 aw/ir
mine did that and it was the throtle body that was getting stuck .. when the lights got on the car whent into limbmode and i couldent exede 40mph or somethig like that ..
lore2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
itsablurr

My Ride: '01 M Roadster
My S54 does this, only it's usually just the EML light... sometimes EML and CEL, and once in a while EML and DSC.

It seems to be directly related to extreme cold weather starts (< 20 degrees F), and driving before the car is warm.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Ajay

14att,
It hasn't happened to me since I last posted (knock on wood). The problem however was my car was discharging. My friend told me something is draining my battery and that is why that was happening. One day my car starts the next day its dead. It's like a ghost. However, everything is good now. The only thing I do different is try to drive as much as I can. I hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #12
gabimmer22

My Ride: 2000 323I
ajay....my car is doing the same thing....with the battery and the Brake/abs...did you find out what was causing this?
gabimmer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #13
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
You're brake fluid level sensor could also be bad or the fluid could be low. The sensor is MUCH cheaper than a DSC unit. Have the codes pulled and that will give you the answer anyway, we are all guessing.
It seems I joined the club yesterday: EML, DSC and "BRAKE" lights... But my Digimoto scan tool gave me no error codes (unfortunately, I checked only after shutting down and restarting the engine, but all lights were off again at that time).

Has anyone been able to pull some error codes with one of those aftermarket scan tools? Last (and only) time I took the car in with the CEL on, the dealer charged me $220 for the diagnosis, which took them an estimated 30 to 60 seconds to do...
Old 02-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
JamesH325Ci
What a Pisser

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Send a message via AIM to JamesH325Ci Send a message via Yahoo to JamesH325Ci
I had the same issues about a year ago. Found out that a sensor for my intake manifold was faulty. Had that fixed under warranty. A week later ir happened again and the Stealer said my passenger seat plug was fault ? I told him he was full of it. They did an inspection and cleared the codes after finding nothing wrong. Hasn't happened again but I hate when the car goes into "safe mode".
Good luck.
JamesH325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH325Ci View Post
I had the same issues about a year ago. Found out that a sensor for my intake manifold was faulty. Had that fixed under warranty. A week later ir happened again and the Stealer said my passenger seat plug was fault ? I told him he was full of it. They did an inspection and cleared the codes after finding nothing wrong. Hasn't happened again but I hate when the car goes into "safe mode".
Good luck.
Which sensor was that? Any recollection (or records)?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #16
JamesH325Ci
What a Pisser

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Send a message via AIM to JamesH325Ci Send a message via Yahoo to JamesH325Ci
I don't have the paperwork handy, but if I remember correctly they said it was a sensor connected on the throttle body. Not sure if thats correct or if he was jerkin my chain. Either way they replaced it (sensor). Hope that helps.
JamesH325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
silver_bullet

My Ride: 325ci
Had this problem too. Seems relatively common.

Have dealer check wiring harness for bad/corroded connectors.

No problems after fix.
silver_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
m3monkey

My Ride: 04 e46 m3 smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH325Ci View Post
I don't have the paperwork handy, but if I remember correctly they said it was a sensor connected on the throttle body. Not sure if thats correct or if he was jerkin my chain. Either way they replaced it (sensor). Hope that helps.
If im not mistaken, its called TPS (throttle position sensor). my car went on limp mode twice this sat. restarting the car makes it drivable again. heading to my mech after work today to get the codes. hope its not too much $$.
should i put the sticker on before i do tints or after i do the tints? also i have a paking sticker and it will expire in a year so i think i will put it on after the tints? anyone has any suggestions ?? thx
m3monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
jaybmw

My Ride: 2003 325i
Im having similiar issues. It drives fine for about 10min, then DSC/EML & Brake lights come on and the car losses about 50% power?? Need help!! Had a foreign auto specailty place ck codes when they did an oil chng for me today. Here they are: (246-sec air inj low B2),,,,,(245-low B1),,,,,(248-MAF Signal),,,,,(228-fuel trim). Didnt have them complete any work as I had to get home. Anyone know about this? Thanks in advance!! Jay
jaybmw is offline   Reply With Quote