E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado-Ri View Post
No good news with my oil consumption. Now I have 5w40 Castrol Softec with STP Smoke Treatmnet aditiv and the car still use lot of oil...the latest was 1 Lit after 300 miles. As mentioned above no leak under the car, new ccv valve, compression ok, ... must be bad valve seals i think.
Hey buddy

I thought you were gonna get the valve seals done long time ago
With the amount of oil burning, it might be cost effective to do it as soon as possible

p.s.
Got that steering rack yet?

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #22
Dado-Ri

My Ride: E46 330 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Not a DIY thing to change the valve seals.. do the least expensive things first, i.e. compression test
In Bmw service have told me they have never changed valve seals to an E46 so it is not a common problem... my car as it has "only" 125k km...i had great mod ideas but this consumption is driving me crazy so i will do no mod before the problem is resolved.

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Dado-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #23
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
They do sell a Valve Seal Repair kit though.. did your problem start all of a sudden? i.e. did you have any oil consumption before?
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #24
Dado-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Hey buddy

I thought you were gonna get the valve seals done long time ago
With the amount of oil burning, it might be cost effective to do it as soon as possible

p.s.
Got that steering rack yet?
Hey, good to see you !

The bmw service in Rijeka and my other mechanic just dont wont to change the valve seals as they never did it before to a e46 !!! Can you belive it !? Anyway, I didnĘt ordered the rack because if i dont resolve this problem i will probably sell the car and the money for all planned mods i will ad to the amount and will buy 2003 e46 m3 (manual)...well this is my courent situation. Once again great to see you here again

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #25
Dado-Ri

Quote:
They do sell a Valve Seal Repair kit though.. did your problem start all of a sudden? i.e. did you have any oil consumption before?
My consumption started to raise after I have changed the oil to 5w30 and now when i have returned to 5w40 the consumption is still high. I was thinking the STP Oil Treatment will help as they say on their web site :

"Oil burning and exhaust smoking occurs when motor oil enters the combustion chamber and is burned along with fuel. This condition, known as oil blow-by, often results when friction and metal-to-metal contact have worn parts and created gaps between the cylinder walls, piston rings and valve guide seals."

But it didnt.

I have noticed the consumption dramaticaly raises when going down hill with no foot on gas pedal @ 3000 RPM or more.

Any clue ?

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #26
paraklas
OEM ///Member

It may take a while for the engine to re-adjust to the 5W40.. How long have you had it?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #27
Dado-Ri

Quote:
It may take a while for the engine to re-adjust to the 5W40.. How long have you had it?
Oil 5w40 about 2k miles ago...STP added 250 miles ago.

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #28
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado-Ri View Post
Hey, good to see you !

The bmw service in Rijeka and my other mechanic just dont wont to change the valve seals as they never did it before to a e46 !!! Can you belive it !? Anyway, I didnĘt ordered the rack because if i dont resolve this problem i will probably sell the car and the money for all planned mods i will ad to the amount and will buy 2003 e46 m3 (manual)...well this is my courent situation. Once again great to see you here again
Ma da. Uvali ga nekom drugom pa nek se oni zajebavaju sa time

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #29
Dado-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Ma da. Uvali ga nekom drugom pa nek se oni zajebavaju sa time
Well said !

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #30
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
gumice na ventilima su problem 100%,litar ulja na koliko km ga potrosi? ja koristim Mobil 1 5w50 full sint i trosi ga na 5000-6000km 1 litar
Mc 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #31
Dado-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc 007 View Post
gumice na ventilima su problem 100%,litar ulja na koliko km ga potrosi? ja koristim Mobil 1 5w50 full sint i trosi ga na 5000-6000km 1 litar
1 Lit / 400 km

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #32
paraklas
OEM ///Member

we could all be a bit more helpful if you used english for typing..
Old 12-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #33
Dado-Ri

Quote:
we could all be a bit more helpful if you used english for typing..
I will do so, sorry for my reply in foreign language.

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #34
ByTor330ci

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Same for me - 02 330ci

Really curious how you get your problem resolved * - - don't want to hijack this thread, just stating I'm having very similar experience.

I'm having same oil consumption issues. I don't see a leak anywhere and am having to put about a qt every couple thousand miles.
I run with Castrol Synthetic 5/30. Temps here are generally mild in Wa State.

I've done the experiment on the driving with someone watching behind me as I floor it up into 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm putting a good puff out there that is visible at night through headlights especially. It's a white or maybe a tad dirty white smoke - not anything black looking. Car doesn't smell like burning oil - just a note.

Have you noticed a slight ticking noise at idle..?? I don't like the sound, but the mechanic said he thinks it's the PCV valve? He said it could also be why I'm burning more oil... Is he pulling my chain or ? I've done research on the PCV here and it appears people are talking about two different parts most of the time. I'm confused as heck about this PCV replacement. Any links?

Also, when I've changed my plugs, they are pretty grizzly looking - even after just 6 months of average mileage and driving. I've changed plugs 3 times in last 18 months to get my performance "normal" feeling. I've used Bosch Plat 4s. The car runs great after an oil/plugs/filter change for about a few months and then gradually starts feeling crappy again. I'll change oil every 3 to 5k and generally filters at the same time.

I had a pinging problem when I first Conforti Sharked (ECU chip) the car, so sent the chip back to TMS and Conforti applied a drop on the timing advance to remedy the ping situation. I'll admit, it's also compromised the step in performance, but it's still a noticed gain with the mod chip either way.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #35
Dado-Ri

Bad news ! I had a engine failure two days ago. The STP aditive must be reason for that 99%. After adding STP oil treatment aditive i didnt drive my car over 4k rpm for about 250 miles, two days ago I went on a highway and pushed my car over 4k rpm in the fifth gear and I had a engine check on my board with loud noise in my engine, i stopped my car turned off and on again with no check light, after i have pushed my car again over 4k rpm and had a same problem again. The loud sound is like metal to metal wear, i think the reason is low oil pressure because of the oil filter being plugged of the stp aditive which is very dense.

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-24-2006, 06:38 PM   #36
Dado-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTor330ci View Post
Really curious how you get your problem resolved * - - don't want to hijack this thread, just stating I'm having very similar experience.

I'm having same oil consumption issues. I don't see a leak anywhere and am having to put about a qt every couple thousand miles.
I run with Castrol Synthetic 5/30. Temps here are generally mild in Wa State.

I've done the experiment on the driving with someone watching behind me as I floor it up into 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm putting a good puff out there that is visible at night through headlights especially. It's a white or maybe a tad dirty white smoke - not anything black looking. Car doesn't smell like burning oil - just a note.

Have you noticed a slight ticking noise at idle..?? I don't like the sound, but the mechanic said he thinks it's the PCV valve? He said it could also be why I'm burning more oil... Is he pulling my chain or ? I've done research on the PCV here and it appears people are talking about two different parts most of the time. I'm confused as heck about this PCV replacement. Any links?

Also, when I've changed my plugs, they are pretty grizzly looking - even after just 6 months of average mileage and driving. I've changed plugs 3 times in last 18 months to get my performance "normal" feeling. I've used Bosch Plat 4s. The car runs great after an oil/plugs/filter change for about a few months and then gradually starts feeling crappy again. I'll change oil every 3 to 5k and generally filters at the same time.

I had a pinging problem when I first Conforti Sharked (ECU chip) the car, so sent the chip back to TMS and Conforti applied a drop on the timing advance to remedy the ping situation. I'll admit, it's also compromised the step in performance, but it's still a noticed gain with the mod chip either way.

Merry Christmas!
Some 330 ci use more oil than other models but in my case my oil consumption is far beyond any tolerances. I have changed the PCV you are talking about hoping it wil resolve my problem but it didnt. PCV is oil pressure regulating valve ( pic in attachment - part N. 1 ) it has rubber diaphragm inside which uses to wear and flow through the oil. In many cases it was the reason of oil consumption, maybe this is your answer to the problem, but still dodnt know untill you chnge the PCV. I didnt have a ticking noise at idle, i dont see how PCV can affect to the thicking sound at idle.

There can be reason for oil consumption...piston rings, PCV, bad valve seals, the bad O ring of the vanos sucking oil in the intake,... In my case I think the problem are the bad valve seals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54.png
Views:	829
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	208093  

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i
Old 12-25-2006, 01:16 PM   #37
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
nemoguce da ti toliko ulje trosi! karike su otisle 100%,morat ces napraviti polugeneralku,glava+karike...
Mc 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #38
ByTor330ci

Thanks for the very informative post Dado Ri. I really appreciate and will go with the PCV replacement first thing. Were you able to replace this yourself, or did you have to go to a shop? Expensive?

Again, thanks for the excellent information!

Happy New Year to you.

Troy
ByTor330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #39
ByTor330ci

Holy crap Dado Ri - I just realized I didn't see your post about your motor. Very sorry to hear this. I wish you luck with your M3 I read you might be after. That should be fun!
ByTor330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #40
Dado-Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTor330ci View Post
Thanks for the very informative post Dado Ri. I really appreciate and will go with the PCV replacement first thing. Were you able to replace this yourself, or did you have to go to a shop? Expensive?

Again, thanks for the excellent information!

Happy New Year to you.

Troy
The PCV is 100 Eur ( equal to 100 $ ) in BMW shop, I didnt replace by my self, it did my mechanic and needed some 1,5 hour. I didnt paid the replacement because the mechanic is a friend of mine so hi did it for free. If you have some knoweledge I think you could change it by yourself, the PCV is under the intake of the motor and is a little tricky to reach because a lack of space. You could try by yourself and always take it to BMW shop mechanic if you fail to replace. Hope this will resolve your consumption, but afaik I think the valve selas are the most common oil consumption problem on early 330 engines. Happy new year.

- Koni adjustable shocks
- Eibach Pro Kit springs
- K&N 63i