E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: Which transmission would you pick for the new 997 Turbo?
Manual 55 77.46%
Tiptronic S 16 22.54%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
Porsche 911 Turbo: manual vs. Tiptronic S

Would you pick the manual transmission or the Tiptronic S transmission for the new 997 Turbo? I know manual is the way to go but considering the car is actually faster with the Tiptronic S, I thought that might "alter" your decision.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Rated///M

My Ride: 996 TT
Not at all. Manual is the way to go for the Porsche. Tiptronic is the crappiest system I've seen. Its just like an automatic. You get small buttons on your steering wheel, why would you want that? F1 and SMG is different.
Rated///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Kain

According to Porsche, 0-100 km/h for manual is 3.9 seconds where the 0-100 km/h for Tiptronic S is 3.7 seconds.

0-160 km/h for manual is 8.4 seconds
0-160 km/h for Tiptronic S is 7.8 seconds (that's quite a difference!)

http://www.porsche.com/middle-east/m...turesandspecs/
Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
Kain

BTW, I know Tiptronic S is just an automatic and nothing like SMG or F1, but the point here is that it's faster than the manual in this situation.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
bimmerbum46

My Ride: sweet pair of Vans
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbum46
when you spend 150K on a car you must be retarded to buy an auto, especially if its not even F1 or SMG like
Old 08-27-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbum46 View Post
when you spend 150K on a car you must be retarded to buy an auto, especially if its not even F1 or SMG like
not really.

How many NON-car enthusiasts do you think want to drive manual after a hard day at work....stuck in rushhour etc etc

i'd personally get the 6spd(even if it was slightly slower), but I could definately see some of the older people opting for the auto...the fact that it's faster only sweetens the deal for them

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Az330im
Flyin' High

My Ride: '03 Stahl Grau 330i
i don't see a problem with anyone buying that car in auto, especially (as said above), the people who buy these cars aren't always looking to drive a manual...

I myself would probably buy the manual though, only cuz I hate Porsche's automatic....the steering wheel buttons are so retarded in those cars...
Old 08-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
Malachi

My Ride: Synth. testosterone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_coupe View Post
not really.

How many NON-car enthusiasts do you think want to drive manual after a hard day at work....stuck in rushhour etc etc

i'd personally get the 6spd(even if it was slightly slower), but I could definately see some of the older people opting for the auto...the fact that it's faster only sweetens the deal for them
I'm pretty sure anyone who can afford a 997 turbo will have a daily driver. Manual is just so much more fun. Who cares if it's slower, it still feels faster.

**NO POLITICAL CIGS** -MODERATOR
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I agree that the buttons on the Porsche Tiptronic are horrible. I'd prefer the switching to be only on the shifter. Doing simple **** like parallel parking, with one hand spinning the wheel I kept engaging the Tip buttons. While normal driving it wasn't bad but I didn't get into any hairy manuevers either where I could test out the hand/button placement.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
Jarn0

My Ride: Nada :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
I'm pretty sure anyone who can afford a 997 turbo will have a daily driver. Manual is just so much more fun. Who cares if it's slower, it still feels faster.
A lot of rich people think of a 997 turbo as a DD
Check 6speedonline for those kind of people

But IMO, I would choose manual over tiptronic even if it's slower.
Originally Posted by JoeVert
There is a good reason why so many more black men date white girls then vice versa. I have a feeling black men are not avoiding black women because of their color
Of all the posts I've read in forums in my life, this was easily the most captivating. It has all the elements of a great post, adventure, mystery, love, and danger...When I read this post, it took my breath away. Simply amazing. 10 stars!

Last edited by Jarn0; 08-27-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Jarn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
46_coupe

My Ride: is lame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
enh it's a mixed crowd.....I've met a handful of Turbo and C4S owners in Toronto and all of em drive their car in the winter(they have other cars too...but their reasoning is awd cars belong in ALL weather conditions )

"As soon as you're born, you start dying, so you might as well have a good time" - Cake
46_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Elefant
Banned

My Ride: and hes hairy too
wow .2 seconds faster,, jeez youll really notice that
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
Jarn0

My Ride: Nada :(
But there's something I don't get .. the Tiptronic is 100 pounds heavier than the manual but still faster
Originally Posted by JoeVert
There is a good reason why so many more black men date white girls then vice versa. I have a feeling black men are not avoiding black women because of their color
Of all the posts I've read in forums in my life, this was easily the most captivating. It has all the elements of a great post, adventure, mystery, love, and danger...When I read this post, it took my breath away. Simply amazing. 10 stars!
Jarn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
Elefant
Banned

My Ride: and hes hairy too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarn0 View Post
But there's something I don't get .. the Tiptronic is 100 pounds heavier than the manual but still faster
because theres no boost lost between shifts in an automatic.. you dont take your foot off the gas. auto's are alot more consistent in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #15
Kain

Quote:
Originally Posted by other View Post
wow .2 seconds faster,, jeez youll really notice that
0-160 km/h for manual is 8.4 seconds
0-160 km/h for Tiptronic S is 7.8 seconds

That's more than .2 seconds.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #16
Kain

Quote:
Originally Posted by other View Post
because theres no boost lost between shifts in an automatic.. you dont take your foot off the gas. auto's are alot more consistent in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times
What if with the manual you don't let-off the throttle between shifts? I know that would kill the clutch but would your times increase?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #17
Scott_H

My Ride: '03 320Ci
Manual for sure, is there even a question involved? if you have to sit in rush hour traffic - granted an automatic would be far easier... so get a 2nd car.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 AM   #18
StupidGermans!

My Ride: my ride
My buddy actually went over to spain for the official release of the new 997 TT, he got to drive it on their track both with trained instructors and by himself. He was very impressed with the auto although he hates SMG and auto. With all the technology and advanced PSM in these cars it almost makes sense to go with an auto and leave out one part of the car where the drive still can mess up.

*flame suit on
StupidGermans! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
^^^ Interesting. Ive ridden in a Tiptronic Boxster and 996 Carrera. The autos in those cars were on the crappier side IMO. I wonder if they really improved it, or if your buddy was just so overwhelmed by the speed, he didnt notice how smoothly it shifted, etc.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
Ward

My Ride: 2011 335is coupe
I'd want to drive both before making the choice. If it were a daily, I might get an auto but if it were a fun weekend car, I would possibly go with the manual. I'm not a super hardcore auto elitist so I usually don't shun the autos if they make sense (daily traffic, convenience). I do dislike the shifting mechanism of the Porsches though. My ex's 06 Boxster S tiptronic was such a slow shifter. The buttons on the wheel are pretty flimsy too. What car was it that Porsche was planning on introducing paddles on?
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote