E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #41
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I don't like my automatic a/c controls either. I don't like the auto setting, as I don't really NEED the temp in my car to always be X degrees... If I'm hot, I'll turn on some cooling myself... if I'm cold, I'll turn on some heat myself...thank you very much. And I hate that the climate control ALWAYS turns on after I start the car up, regardless of whether it was on or off during the last drive. I heard that a dealer can reprogram can this part, but it'd probably be like $200 for 10 minutes of work...

The only thing I like better with the climate control faceplate is the look of it.
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #42
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jiveman View Post
I don't like my automatic a/c controls either. I don't like the auto setting, as I don't really NEED the temp in my car to always be X degrees... If I'm hot, I'll turn on some cooling myself... if I'm cold, I'll turn on some heat myself...thank you very much. And I hate that the climate control ALWAYS turns on after I start the car up, regardless of whether it was on or off during the last drive. I heard that a dealer can reprogram can this part, but it'd probably be like $200 for 10 minutes of work...

The only thing I like better with the climate control faceplate is the look of it.
What the member told you was 100% incorrect. My install was successful. I'm still waiting on the car to be coded, but as of right now, its working w/o the coding. FWIW, it was 12 HOURS of labor:

Here's a picture of my car with the dash out so they could install the kit:

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #43
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Elmore View Post
You dont know what you are doing. I promise you that you will soon HATE your new auto climate control. I hope you love pushing buttons for ever, b/c thats what you have to do to get the dang fan and temp to change. Plus the auto function just doesnt cut it for me. in the summer it blows hat air at full blast into your face until the ac can cool it down. then in the winter it is the same only with cold air. good luck and i hope you enjoy yours more than i i have.
Not sure why yours does that mine doesnt blow any air hot or cold till its the right temp. In the winter it waits for heat before it sends air through the vents and in the summer waits for the cold before it sends air.

I honestly think except for changing the a degree up or down one or two I never touch the thing.

Oh wait I put on the rear defrost sometimes lol thats about it.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #44
The Jiveman

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
What the member told you was 100% incorrect...
Errrr... Was that intended as a response to somebody else's post? 'Cause, what I said cannot be "incorrect" (NOR "correct" for that matter)... It was a statement that I don't LIKE the automatic climate control system, especially the fact that it turns ON every time I start the engine. I'd be much happier with the functionality of manual knobs, EXCEPT for their looks.
The Jiveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #45
Bozz

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
What the member told you was 100% incorrect. My install was successful. I'm still waiting on the car to be coded, but as of right now, its working w/o the coding. FWIW, it was 12 HOURS of labor:

Here's a picture of my car with the dash out so they could install the kit:

WTF!!!

I guess I'm not going to do it myself. What's the damage?

Bozz
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #46
SoCalBuff

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Not sure why yours does that mine doesnt blow any air hot or cold till its the right temp. In the winter it waits for heat before it sends air through the vents and in the summer waits for the cold before it sends air.

I honestly think except for changing the a degree up or down one or two I never touch the thing.

Oh wait I put on the rear defrost sometimes lol thats about it.
Mine operates the same way as yours. No air moving through the vents until the air is the right temp (hot or cold). It also stays off when I start the car if I had it turned off when I get out of hte car. It's always worked that way for me. I can't imagine why someone would have the auto a/c controls. If you don't have it on auto it works as a manual...
SoCalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #47
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jiveman View Post
Errrr... Was that intended as a response to somebody else's post? 'Cause, what I said cannot be "incorrect" (NOR "correct" for that matter)... It was a statement that I don't LIKE the automatic climate control system, especially the fact that it turns ON every time I start the engine. I'd be much happier with the functionality of manual knobs, EXCEPT for their looks.

Yeah sorry, was meant for this post:

Believe what you want, you are reading stuff someone posted on the net and I have the car I actually did the swap on. My AC works, the zones work, the auto temp works, the defrost buttons work. Do you know how I know? I didn't read it somewhere, I actually did it. Is every e46 built exactly the same????
Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #48
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post

WTF!!!

I guess I'm not going to do it myself. What's the damage?

Bozz
12 hours labor x shop rate = OUCH
Old 03-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #49
jiggz

My Ride: '05 ZHP & '12 X5 50i
Quote:
12 hours labor x shop rate = OUCH
Damn, all that $ and work for auto climate controls

I sure hope you like 'em. I think they're annoying...
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #50
SoCalBuff

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBuff View Post
Mine operates the same way as yours. No air moving through the vents until the air is the right temp (hot or cold). It also stays off when I start the car if I had it turned off when I get out of hte car. It's always worked that way for me. I can't imagine why someone would have the auto a/c controls. If you don't have it on auto it works as a manual...
Oops. I meant to say 'hate' instead of 'have'.
SoCalBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #51
EDMBMW

My Ride: 03 E46
Quote:
FWIW, it was 12 HOURS of labor:
Wow, I guess that ruined my dream of switching to the auto controls.

Anyone want to buy my controls off of me? It is from a Canadian car, so celcius.

And I did ask my local dealership today and they told me $486CDN for the kit and $110 per hour.

Unfortunately it isn't worth over a grand to me when I don't plan on keeping the car that much longer.
EDMBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #52
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMBMW View Post
Wow, I guess that ruined my dream of switching to the auto controls.

Anyone want to buy my controls off of me? It is from a Canadian car, so celcius.

And I did ask my local dealership today and they told me $486CDN for the kit and $110 per hour.

Unfortunately it isn't worth over a grand to me when I don't plan on keeping the car that much longer.
They have sepearte controls for F and C ? Weird, I'd figure you'd be able to toggle between them somehow...

BTW, they were unable to code my car for the controls, BUT its working w/o the coding... weird...
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #53
EDMBMW

My Ride: 03 E46
^ I'm not really sure, but that is what I was told.

Either way, it isn't worth the work for me, but I'm glad yours is working.
EDMBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #54
garodgers

My Ride: '01 325i
Wow! I was thinking of trying the switch too, but after seeing that pic there's no damn way! Thanks for slapping my back into reality!
garodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #55
mikerob97

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323it
Auto Climate Control to Manual Climate Control

Quote:
Ugh. I have one, I tried it, it doesn't work. Many others have tried it with the same results. BMW's documentation states the same.

The only way I can think that this is working for you, is if the original owner had the auto climate controls and then swapped the manual ones... (btw, that works)

If you really have it working, then please take a video with the digital camera showing it. I would love to see it working, it would save me $300 when I do this mod.
I have resurrected an old thread that was addressing the conversion from Manual to Automatic Climate Control. I however am interested in doing the opposite. I prefer the manual controls.

The comment above caught my eye - member implied that converting from Auto to Manual works? "The only way I can think that this is working for you, is if the original owner had the auto climate controls and then swapped the manual ones... (btw, that works)"

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a manual control module that I acquired to use as a test. All wiring harnesses / plugs from my car are the same as the manual controller so the manual unit plugs right in. These are my observation of how the system operated after I installed it.

1. The fan switch operated the fan correctly.
2. The recirculate switch seemed to work - what I mean is I heard flaps moving when I depressed the switch.
3. The directional controls did not work.
4. The rear defroster switch worked correctly.

So - the big question - does anyone know how to do this conversion?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cars in Fleet
2000 BMW E46 323i Touring - Daily Driver
1994 BMW E36 w/S50 Engine - Fast Driver
2010 Honda CRV - Wife's Driver
2002 Ford Focus - Daughter's Driver
mikerob97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #56
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerob97 View Post
I have resurrected an old thread that was addressing the conversion from Manual to Automatic Climate Control. I however am interested in doing the opposite. I prefer the manual controls.

The comment above caught my eye - member implied that converting from Auto to Manual works? "The only way I can think that this is working for you, is if the original owner had the auto climate controls and then swapped the manual ones... (btw, that works)"

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have a manual control module that I acquired to use as a test. All wiring harnesses / plugs from my car are the same as the manual controller so the manual unit plugs right in. These are my observation of how the system operated after I installed it.

1. The fan switch operated the fan correctly.
2. The recirculate switch seemed to work - what I mean is I heard flaps moving when I depressed the switch.
3. The directional controls did not work.
4. The rear defroster switch worked correctly.

So - the big question - does anyone know how to do this conversion?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
The IHKR (manual control module) will need coded to work correctly.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
mikerob97

Only Coding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
The IHKR (manual control module) will need coded to work correctly.

So no wiring harness, linkage or stepper motor changes? Only coding changes to the IHKR module? Is this something that can be performed with the module out of the car - or does it have to be installed? Is this similair in concept to coding an LCM?

Cars in Fleet
Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #58
g6

entire thing is a waste of time. esp if going from auto to manual. put it in your 401k because you prob wont even have the car for over 5 years from now
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #59
mikerob97

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6 View Post
entire thing is a waste of time. esp if going from auto to manual. put it in your 401k because you prob wont even have the car for over 5 years from now

Indeed - but I am a car enthusist - this is what I like to do.

Cars in Fleet
Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #60
silber92

My Ride: 330CiC
I'll be intrigued to see if you're able to get this recoded successfully. I find the auto climate control an annoying feature of both of my cars, and would much prefer the manual version.

Where did you find the manual unit you're using? The only one I found that looked like it would work was from ebay UK, and they wanted 50 quid to ship it overseas. Do you have a part number from it so if I go down this path I can make sure I'm buying the correct one?

I wonder if the dealership is even able to do a recode on these cars anymore. Last time I talked to my service advisor about adding an OBC function to my 325XiT he said the software version they are using now doesn't support the older vehicles for something like a recode.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks!

Michael
silber92 is offline   Reply With Quote