E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
captain bimmer

My Ride: 325i
P0365 Camshaft Position Sensor B

I did a search, and all the posts say this is an easy DIY, however I have yet to find an actual post with this simple DIY. I did find one for the intake sensor, but since my code says "B" its for the exhaust camshaft sensor. That is the DIY I need, and cant find. Any help guys? Thanks =)
captain bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
gfhanson

My Ride: 323i, 323ci, 325ci
Here's one I found. Replacing the exhaust sensor is easy - its on the front passenger side of the engine as the thread below shows. This thread has photos. Good luck

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...exhaust+sensor
gfhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
captain bimmer

THANKS SO MUCH!!! How come I couldnt find that post? LOL All I found were people posting how easy the fix is.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
captain bimmer

I tried tugging/pulling at the harness, pushing on boths sides on what appears to be clips? but the thing wont budge at all from the sensor. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
gfhanson

My Ride: 323i, 323ci, 325ci
While squeezing both sides of the plug (you'll see the plastic clips), wiggle it back and forth and it should come loose. I just tried it on my '00 323i to make sure I remembered how! Squeeze hard and wiggle it while squeezing. It should come off OK!
gfhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:45 AM   #6
Demon Eyes Kyo

My Ride: 2001 330i
DIY - Replace Exhaust Camshaft Sensor

I've been driving with the P0365 error code until it was time for my smog inspection that I finally changed the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor

This took me 35 minutes to replace cuz I did not have the proper right angle hex / allen driver to work in the tight engine space.

Support our sponsors and buy the following items:
1. Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor (BMW part #12147518628)
2. Position Sesnor O-ring (BMW part #12141748398)

Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 AM   #7
Demon Eyes Kyo

1. Allow car to cool down (overnight if possible), since you will be sticking your hands into hot compartments of the engine bay.

2. Open hood and on passanger side, locate Exhaust Camshaft Sensor. Squeeze Left / Right tabs and wiggle plastic connector with wire off.

3. The tabs can be stuck on making pulling the connector off very difficult. I found it was best not to stand in front of the car to do this but to stand along the passenger side of the car and use your left hand to reach in and feel the tabs (as you won't be able to see from the angle that you're standing). Squeeze with your left thumb and forefinger and the connector should just wiggle off easily.

4. Push the cable out of the way and it may help to get a
sandwich bag over this to keep dirt out while working.

Demon Eyes Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
Demon Eyes Kyo

5. This is where if you have the correct garage tools, it will be very easy. But all I used were my old bike 5mm hex / allen key (see pic below) to remove the bolt. There is Loctite on it so you will some strength to initially loosen the bolt.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Demon Eyes Kyo

6. Here is the old Exhaust Camshaft Position Sensor - note position of the orig O-ring so you put the new O-ring in the same spot. Put some motor oil on the new O-ring before sliding it on the sensor.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
Demon Eyes Kyo

7. Insert sensor circle side into the big hole opening (circled in red)

8. Apply a dab of Blue Loctite to the bolt and tighten the bolt down. Make sure the sensor is not loose as oil will leak out if the bolt is not tight.

9. Plug back in the old sensor cable

10. To see if you did this correctly and for 2001 and newer cars, to reset the Service Engine Soon (SES) light:
a. Insert key into ignition and allow the diagnostic to complete before starting the engine.
b. Drive a little bit, stop and shut off engine.
c. Do this twice and on the 3rd time you start the car, the SES light should turn off.
d. If the SES light is still on, you may have to manually RESET the SES light.

Hope this helps y'all with this DIY
Old 02-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
idoc330ci

My Ride: 2003 330ci
awesome diy bro.

idoc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
To confirm, the bolt is regular thread i.e. standing in front of the engine I would be turning left (toward the windshield fluid box) to loosen, correct? I tried last night but it would not budge. I need to get a better hex key though because the one i have is small with not enough leverage. I do understand there is loctite on the bolt, but wanted to check just to make sure before i start putting some pressure on it.

Also maybe someone can shed some light here. My CEL went on, I went to Autozone and read code P0369, asked them to reset then drove around. After a day CEL went on again. Went to Autozone and they read the same code again. Asked them NOT to reset the light. OK, at this point i confirmed the exhaust camshaft sensor so I went to the dealer and picked up the new sensor. Shortly after that while driving the CEL went OFF. I drove today it is still off. I am assuming i still need to replace the sensor, but wondering why would it go off.

Thanks.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
what are symptoms of a faulty exhaust cam sensor? Mine isn't throwing any codes, but when the car is in gear at idle, there is a slight vibration and the whole exhaust tends to shake at a stop.
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
bump
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Joelc532

My Ride: 2004 ///M3
after u replace the CPS, does anyone know how to get rid of the SES light, i reset it with my OBD II reader, but the next time i start the car, it comes back on.... the car is running great
Joelc532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
garodgers

My Ride: '01 325i
what code was it reading? I had the P0369, replaced CPS, reset the light and it never came back on. If you bought a FEBI CPS, you might have gotten a defective one. Lots of people on here complaining about the high failure rate of those!
garodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
Spyder_Venom

My Ride: 01 325 CI
a CPS code will usually reset itself once you replace the sensor.
Spyder_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Joelc532

My Ride: 2004 ///M3
i replaced mine with an after market sensor and when i first started the car, the light went out, but after that first time, the car spits the same codes, but the car runs fine. How do I fix this? should i get an OEM BMW sensor? codes are p0365 and p1620
Joelc532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
b1st

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Thanks for the great write up, Demon Eyes! I just did this on my car and I think I feel about 20hp difference. I'm not sure if other people experienced about the same or my sensor was exceptionally bad.

One thing I'd add to this is I removed the air intake assembly thing and the radiator fan (VERY easy on manual cars) and it gave me much more room to work with. That bolt was on really tight, I don't know how you removed it just with an allen key. I used an allen bit with a wrench.
b1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #20
dasha877

My Ride: '00 323i, Sport-Prem
Worked for me

I used this diy procedure and all went well. I'm little concerned about the bolt though. It took a beating while I tightened it, and I think it's a bit stripped. It bugged me enough that I tried to lossen it to make sure it could be done, and it did give way, but now I'm concerned about over tightening it and stripping it further. It's tightened only a quarter turn right now, snug, but not super tight...is this enough to prevent a leak?