E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
SK328CI

My Ride: 2006 Jeep SRT8
whats so special about bmw coolant

I am going to get a coolant change and wanted to know whats so special about the BMW coolant.
I hear that you have to get it from BMW and mix it 50/50 with distilled water then put it in.

As anyone put regular antifreeze in there? Or is the genuine bmw coolant necessary for our cars?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
S2Krazy
A Flammable Plumber

My Ride: ****ED UP CL
Send a message via AIM to S2Krazy Send a message via MSN to S2Krazy
nothing
S2Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
cgrizzly888

My Ride: 00 328i
Send a message via AIM to cgrizzly888
Only use bmw coolant, otherwise, you risk ruining your cooling system.
cgrizzly888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
joserse46

My Ride: 2001 325I
well from what I was told the BMW stuff has no phosphates or nitrates which will mess up the seals and gaskets so just get coolant without those ingredients and you should be OK
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
e330zhp46

My Ride: (SEE SIGNATURE)
Send a message via Skype™ to e330zhp46
you also have to make sure that your new coolant wont start to create caviatation around the cylinders....the block is aluminum, and any air bullbles that form can be detremental to the walls of the cylinders.....i would look at the ingredients of both before switching it out.....

** sig size and layout changed by tim330i to reduce side scroll ** sorry my monitor is 1680x1050 so there is no side scroll for me
e330zhp46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Choson1
Owner

My Ride: Keepin' it Real
you can use other brand coolants as long as they meet the specifications outlined in the manual.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
UnBreakable

My Ride: OB E46 328i
Some Antizees have no corrosion inhibitors, meaning they have no protection agaisnt corrosion. Also some cheap brandnames have corrosive agents and can corrode your aluminum block. Some will leave residues on the coolant passages leading to overheating or hotspots.

-l-
'---0-(_)-0---'
UnBreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
BMW coolant is silicate free, phosphate free, amine free, and borate free. This keeps things nice and happy amongst all the dissimilar metals, plastics, seals and rubber in the cooling system. It is sourced from Pentosin, a very reputable European fluids manufacturer and supplier along with development from BASF. It is relatively expensive for this reason.

Granted it is twice to three times what OTC coolant is at the local parts superstore but coolant only needs to be changed every 2~4 years. Amortize the cost difference over that time period and it comes out to .60 a month for the two year interval. Can't even get a Happy Meal for that. I say feed your Bimmer well and use the OEM coolant.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb
BMW coolant is silicate free, phosphate free, amine free, and borate free. This keeps things nice and happy amongst all the dissimilar metals, plastics, seals and rubber in the cooling system. It is sourced from Pentosin, a very reputable European fluids manufacturer and supplier along with development from BASF. It is relatively expensive for this reason.

Granted it is twice to three times what OTC coolant is at the local parts superstore but coolant only needs to be changed every 2~4 years. Amortize the cost difference over that time period and it comes out to .60 a month for the two year interval. Can't even get a Happy Meal for that. I say feed your Bimmer well and use the OEM coolant.

Hey - I thought my coolant was low and tried to top it off with some coolant I picked up at the gas station (50/50 premix, generic). Long story short, it did not really need to be filled up like I thought and I only put maybe a cup in (at most). Should I be concerned at all about getting it flushed and refilled? It was listed as low silicate formula. I have never thought much about coolant other than making sure it is mixed with distilled water.
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
BattleWagon

My Ride: Colnago/325iT/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrizzly888
Only use bmw coolant, otherwise, you risk ruining your cooling system.
I heard its Zerex G05 formulation with blue coloring for BMW
StreamlineŽ Air Filter | Shark | CDV Delete | DSSR | RE Tranny Mounts and RSMs | Powerflex FCAB Bushings| For Sale: RE Pulleys
BattleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
What's so special about BMW coolant?
It makes BMW a lot of profit!!!!!
They are all ethylene glycol and if used with distilled water, there is no problem with Prestone or similar long life anti-freeze. Prestone's bottle is trying to dispell the myth that everybody's stuff is different because the color is different. It's called MARKETING! Prestone can be "used with any color anti-freeze" It's mixed in mine with BMW coolant since going off maintenance warrantee and soon to be totally flushed.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
I really don't get this - BMW, as well as the guys that write the tech columns for Roundel and Bimmer who have a lot more experience servicing BMWs than anyone on this forum, say only use BMW coolant. Frick guys, if you pay the dealer to flush your cooling system every 2 years it's $100, and maybe you buy a gallon to keep in the garage for top offs for $30. Other than oil, its' what keeps your engine alive.

Why all the hand wringing over this given the cost of your car - I mean there are people here that spend hundreds of dollars on bling and stereos, yet sweat paying $100 for the right coolant. A tricked out car with a blown headgasket and $3000 bill to get fixed or failed radiator sitting on the freeway doesn't sound too cool to me.......................
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
halcyon

My Ride: 99 328
Why is BMW coolant special you ask?

Because it's a pretty blue color. Blue makes me happy. Ah look at the blue.
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon
Why is BMW coolant special you ask?

Because it's a pretty blue color. Blue makes me happy. Ah look at the blue.
HOray for blue!
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
curious_george

My Ride: '02 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoE46s
I really don't get this - BMW, as well as the guys that write the tech columns for Roundel and Bimmer who have a lot more experience servicing BMWs than anyone on this forum, say only use BMW coolant. Frick guys, if you pay the dealer to flush your cooling system every 2 years it's $100, and maybe you buy a gallon to keep in the garage for top offs for $30. Other than oil, its' what keeps your engine alive.

Why all the hand wringing over this given the cost of your car - I mean there are people here that spend hundreds of dollars on bling and stereos, yet sweat paying $100 for the right coolant. A tricked out car with a blown headgasket and $3000 bill to get fixed or failed radiator sitting on the freeway doesn't sound too cool to me.......................

I was hoping someone would see my question and answer it. I would gladly buy BMW coolant, but it is not like the stuff is available at the local Exxon (which, incidently, is where I picked up some no-name stuff that I used). Anyway, I ended up putting less than a cup in the car. Should that even be a consideration as far as flushing out?

In addition, I would have to say that the fact that the BMW coolant is labeled "BMW" is not important - I suppose it is the characteristics. The same stuff is surely available from other vendors, as they are the ones who supply BMW no doubt. BMW does not have a coolant production factory. This reminds me of the BMW windshield threads.
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
george -may I call you george?- I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I put in Prestone (about 3 cups of anti-freeze + 1 cup tap water) in my coolant tank...even though it's for all makes and models, I am still going to have it flushed out and topped off next Wednesday at my dealer just to be safe. I suggest you do the same. This way, they can't ever blame engine problems on bad coolant g'luck!
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #17
halcyon

My Ride: 99 328
Righto.

A little Prestone won't hurt your car. They all have to conform to the same minimum standards. I would use the BMW coolant and some nice distilled water when flushing the system, but for just a little top off, the green stuff won't hurt.

Speaking of which, I still have a gallon sitting in my living room. I should probably flush the coolant soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisboi25
george -may I call you george?- I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I put in Prestone (about 3 cups of anti-freeze + 1 cup tap water) in my coolant tank...even though it's for all makes and models, I am still going to have it flushed out and topped off next Wednesday at my dealer just to be safe. I suggest you do the same. This way, they can't ever blame engine problems on bad coolant g'luck!
halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #18
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious_george
I was hoping someone would see my question and answer it. I would gladly buy BMW coolant, but it is not like the stuff is available at the local Exxon (which, incidently, is where I picked up some no-name stuff that I used). Anyway, I ended up putting less than a cup in the car. Should that even be a consideration as far as flushing out?

In addition, I would have to say that the fact that the BMW coolant is labeled "BMW" is not important - I suppose it is the characteristics. The same stuff is surely available from other vendors, as they are the ones who supply BMW no doubt. BMW does not have a coolant production factory. This reminds me of the BMW windshield threads.
The coolant (or windshields) are certainly not made by BMW. However, I am sure in the auto industry as with many others, OEM agreements with the actual manufacturers of a product, can include exclusivity rights on the design / formulation, so that you can not buy exactly the same thing off the shelf.

By the way, if you were only a cup low, I would have just added some water, not another coolant...............
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
xchromex

My Ride: 08e90m3
i dont use anything...

my car is already... "cool" :]
never over heats.. HOORAHH~
xchromex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #20
SK328CI

My Ride: 2006 Jeep SRT8
im not being picky about not spending money, i will go to pick it up from the dealership, i am just curious to ask why it has to be BMW coolant.

i mean almost all other cars let you use brands you can find from any local auto shop.