E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
BMWKing23

My Ride: 330ci 2004
Taking the BMW Key apart...

Does anyone have instruction on how to properly take apart my 2004 330ci coupe key? I want to clean the insides and replace the battery. Thanks in advance!!!
BMWKing23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
From what I understand, the battery is not replacable. It gets recharged each time its placed in the ignition. Never heard of one failing to recharge/hold a charge. But when it does, I suppose you'd have to replace the entire key. Big $$$.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
mjparky

My Ride: a car
You can take the key apart my father just did mine. You can replace the batter. The battery only has 1,000 charge cycles(about) so it can die. I will ask him in the morning how it came apart. im pretty sure he just pried it apart bc its stuck together at the factory and basically plasitc welded together
mjparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
nEVERCLEAR

My Ride: 323
On the older keys there is a cover on the back that snaps on and there are 2 screws under it.

I'm not sure of the new ones.

Some people dream of speed-others create a damn jet powered shopping cart.
Curious about VoIP and Vonage click here
nEVERCLEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
wzorba

My Ride: 2001 325ci
does this apply to a 2001 key as wel..my remote key hasnt been working consistantly, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. Is this the key or something else?
wzorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzorba
does this apply to a 2001 key as wel..my remote key hasnt been working consistantly, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. Is this the key or something else?
try replacing the battery, i had the same issue in my 328. Then again, i've got a different key as you...
Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
Dinan3er

My Ride: 01 325i
I'd be interested in knowing how, one key already went down. I've been told the same thing at the stealership that once a key is dead, well its like $125-150 to get another one. Damm. On the flip side at least the key still starts the car, consider it an expensive valet key.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
ck21084

My Ride: 323ci
Lightbulb To Open all BMW keys 1999 to present...

It really is so simple to open the keys I am supprised that no one has figured it out yet.

Just place the old key on a firm non marking surface. then find something very very heavy (a hammer works best ) and strike the key. Several hits may be necessary and should be repeated until the two halfs come appart or you have more than six pieces that don't look like they will go back together with glue.

How is that for a DIY??
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084
It really is so simple to open the keys I am supprised that no one has figured it out yet.
Just place the old key on a firm non marking surface. then find something very very heavy (a hammer works best ) and strike the key. Several hits may be necessary and should be repeated until the two halfs come appart or you have more than six pieces that don't look like they will go back together with glue.

How is that for a DIY??

HE WAS KIDDING

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
i did this. i'm not sure when BMW started using the newer keys but I read that they are ultrasonically sealed and the parts inside are unservicable. i can verify this as I bought a dummy key to experiement with. On 2002 and below, the keys had decals on it that rubbed away, on 2003+ they have raised plastic for unlock, and trunk release.

i took a razor blade and just kept going back and forth until i got the cap off. Its really difficult only because you have to take your time. if the razor blade goes to far into the key, its garunteed to knock out the resistors and other electronic stuff underneath the cover.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084

How is that for a DIY??
Oh great. I just followed the directions of this DIY.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
kp.eric

My Ride: 2004 BMW 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post

How is that for a DIY??
Thanks for the great DIY! I'll try it as soon as I get home.
kp.eric is offline   Reply With Quote