E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
330Ciiiiii

My Ride: 330ciiiiii
Airbag lights are on. Ran it through computer. Help ?

Hey guys.

I'm a new user but long time fanatic. My friend suggested I come here to find my mods and seek help when needed. Well, unfortunately the first time is for help.

My airbag light came on last week and when my friend (he who suggested I try here) ran it through his computer two error codes came up.

MRS4 - 02 Belt tensioer driver --- Currently present --- Resistance too high
-Belt Tensioner, driver B6510 30010

and

MRS4 - 0B Battery, positive terminal isolation 1 --- Currently Present --- Resistance too high - Fault fr
-Battery safety terminal B6510_30008

Any ideas if these are the problems causing my airbag light to go on?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Tom

Last edited by 330Ciiiiii; 04-20-2006 at 01:46 PM.
330Ciiiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Nuori
_

My Ride: A 323 mule pepe
Your drivers side sealt belt tensor is out of wack it's telling you. The battery needs replacing? Go have them fixed/replaced.

Nuori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
330Ciiiiii

So my airbag light is on because my seat belt tensioner is out of wack? That's kind of extreme. What if I get into an accident without the seatbelt tensioners and an airbag!

Slightly poor designing =T

Oh, I swaped my 2001 Sport Steering for an Alcantra Wheel and airbag. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Hobbes330i
Addicted!

My Ride: Jet Black 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Ciiiiii
Oh, I swaped my 2001 Sport Steering for an Alcantra Wheel and airbag. But I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Did you disconnect the battery before swapping?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
330Ciiiiii

Sure did. Even resetted the airbag sensor.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
ucberic

My Ride: 330CI Sports Coupe
Belt tensioner is the safetly belt lock. When you brake hard it should lock you in. No idea what's with the battery positive terminal isolation thingy...

01' 330ci mid-conversion 'SOLD
ucberic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
330Ciiiiii

Anyone know if the battery error has anything to do with the airbag?? =T
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
Steel330ci
BMW Parts Advisor

My Ride: '02 Dinan 3
Quote:
Anyone know if the battery error has anything to do with the airbag?? =T
It could. The battery safety terminal(BST) blows off of your battery in the event of an accident, disconnecting power to avoid a fire I believe. So if you have a problem with your airbags, it could possibly affect the BST's behavior. Just a thought though, I'm not a technician.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
Quote:
My airbag light came on last week and when my friend (he who suggested I try here) ran it through his computer two error codes came up.

MRS4 - 02 Belt tensioer driver --- Currently present --- Resistance too high
-Belt Tensioner, driver B6510 30010

Airbag light was on in my car, too. Took it to the dealer and they wanted ~$400 to fix it! They said they had to replace the seatbelt/buckle and that required removing the seat
Old 04-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
camarochevy1970

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladha
Airbag light was on in my car, too. Took it to the dealer and they wanted ~$400 to fix it! They said they had to replace the seatbelt/buckle and that required removing the seat
Does that definitely fix the tensior warning issue? My car developed this tonight, and even when I use the Peake tool to reset it, it only stays reset for a few seconds before it lights up again.
camarochevy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarochevy1970
Does that definitely fix the tensior warning issue? My car developed this tonight, and even when I use the Peake tool to reset it, it only stays reset for a few seconds before it lights up again.
not sure, I have yet to get it fixed. once i do, i'll let u know. i just don't want to pay the dealer ~$400!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:03 AM   #12
homejavier

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel330ci
It could. The battery safety terminal(BST) blows off of your battery in the event of an accident, disconnecting power to avoid a fire I believe. So if you have a problem with your airbags, it could possibly affect the BST's behavior. Just a thought though, I'm not a technician.
Yes. I agree.
Anybody knows how many ohms the airbag module does expect in the battery positive terminal?
I have the same problem, and I want to put a resistor between the wires to simulate a working battery safety terminal.
homejavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #13
mostarac_au

My Ride: 325i
Did you find out how many Ohm's it has to be?
I have the same thing and they want Australian $1200 to fit it!!!
mostarac_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
Mikaly

My Ride: TiAG 323i on 19s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladha View Post
Those crooks! The seats are held down by a couple of bolts. Not difficult to remove...

Mikaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
I rec taking a contact cleaner and cleaning the seat belt connector then applying a chemical called stabilant 22A and putting it in the contacts then clearing the codes, I have found many buckles that have been replaced that did not need to be that only had contact issues. I also have replaced many faulty buckles but always try that first. The BST you were referring to is the pyrotechnic device in the trunk by the battery if that cable is loose or has a voltage drop anywhere in the cable then it needs to be replaced. The one place I have sen issues in under the passenger seat carpet up by the bulkhead corrodes causing that faults sometime replacing the whole battery cable is necessary. I hope this helps Good Luck.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #16
BMW_SSG

My Ride: '02 325i|'11 GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_SSG
I have the same problem, thought I was alone on this one. I replaced my steering wheel with an M3 one and followed the removal instructions, (disconnecting the battery), I got the light on after about 1 month. I am going to try to clean the seat belt connector. ANy ideas as t owhere to find the "Stabilant 22A"
Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Most auto stores or stereo shops can get it for you it is expensive 20-40 for a 4 ounce bottle so use one or two drops!! BMW and VW/Audi Spec it to use in May bulletins for connection issues. This is the only product that I have had work successfully there are lots of contact enhancers out there this is the only one I have had work!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:31 AM   #18
chrismiros

My Ride: E45 316TI SE Compact
My airbag light flicks on and off randomly, can't seem to narrow down what it is that triggers it, but can go on and off a few times in the course of a 20 minutes journey. What tool have you used to get the error codes out? yo usaid you ran it through a pc? what interface and software do you have? I have heard there are also sensors under the seats themselves, anyone know where these are and how to get access to them?
chrismiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:46 AM   #19
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
Ok firstly Fix the battery problem because i have had my car throw a fault code for the seat belt tensioner exactly same code as yours when there was nothing wrong with it. The Occupancy Sensor on the passenger seat was to blame, While doing a little fault finding of my own I worked it out by simulating an occupancy sensor and clearing the codes the Tensioner Error disappeared as well so Thats why I say Fix the battery first.

Btw Seth you able to get me a Occupancy sensor for my Passenger seat (RHD) ?

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 AM   #20
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx View Post
Ok firstly Fix the battery problem because i have had my car throw a fault code for the seat belt tensioner exactly same code as yours when there was nothing wrong with it. The Occupancy Sensor on the passenger seat was to blame, While doing a little fault finding of my own I worked it out by simulating an occupancy sensor and clearing the codes the Tensioner Error disappeared as well so Thats why I say Fix the battery first.

Btw Seth you able to get me a Occupancy sensor for my Passenger seat (RHD) ?

Sorry I don't sell part that i don't install on customers cars. Mabey one of the other sponsors can help you out?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech