E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Question How to keep things from sliding around in the trunk?

how do you keep things from sliding around in your trunk? its really annoying, i get papers and stuff all over my trunk from driving around. is there like a cargo net or something that i can use to prevent stuff in the trunk from sliding around? thanks in advance

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
theres an optional cargo net you can get from BMW. forgot the part #. You can also reverse that mat and use the rubber size as its reversible.

i put one of those bungee cords in the trunk and hooked it up to those two hooks on either side.

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
I could use one of those nets for sure...How much do they cost?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
$30 i think
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
$60-80 I keep my papers in a bookbag. all the cleaning stuff I store in the spare tire bucket thingy. The hole on the driver side in the trunk, I store stuff easily, and it doesn't slide out.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
flip the trunk mat over to find a lovely rubberized surface (at least in my car)
Old 04-08-2006, 11:13 PM   #7
jeffreyslc

My Ride: 330xi Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
how do you keep things from sliding around in your trunk? its really annoying, i get papers and stuff all over my trunk from driving around. is there like a cargo net or something that i can use to prevent stuff in the trunk from sliding around? thanks in advance
A cargo net will just let stuff fly around in a smaller controlled area. I have an old milk carton crate. It is a metal wire-frame crate about 18"x12"x12". Strapped it down centered and pushed against the back of the back seats with a long bungee cord using two of the trunk hold-down clamps. I put all my extra car tools, owners manual, a small fold-up back-pack shovel, first aid kit, etc. Does not slide around or lose its contents. Plus, if hauling something smaller that I don't want to tip over, such as a growler full of beer on the way home from the pub, I have a smaller bungee that I strap to the metal frame work, wrap it around, and strap it on the other side of the crate. Works good for me.

Jeff
2002 330xi Auto
Steel Blue
Mods: Shark, Conforti CAI, Dinan Tranny s/w, LED interior lights, OEM Alarm install, OEM 6-disc changer install, Homelink Install, Window tint, golf tee mod.
jeffreyslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
vincentvega9701
has a power steerin leak :/

My Ride: '01 325i, EMD F59PHI
lol this sounds dumb but i found two rubbermaid baskets at wal-mart that fit in the two slots perfectly. they came with lids, hence no stuff flying around anymore.

bigger stuff tends to be a problem, i ended up flipping the trunk mat around to where the rubber side is up - more grip that way, i guess

vincentvega9701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
Chad McGowan

My Ride: JetBlk323CI
Send a message via AIM to Chad McGowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by djabaley
flip the trunk mat over to find a lovely rubberized surface (at least in my car)
I have the same problem, until I fliped my trunk mat around and saw the rubberized black matting. I also got a container to put several loose items in. It works great.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Tenchi
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist

My Ride: 330i, 535i
Send a message via AIM to Tenchi
here's a cheaper option. go to Costco and take a few empty boxes and put it in ur trunk.

Quote:
Stay away from FedEx if you want your packages delivered in one piece.
Tenchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
if you have a problem keeping carrier bags upright, skoda/VW make these hooks...

http://www.skoda-auto.com/newoctavia...erback_2_3.jpg

they bolt to the underside of the parcel shelf. quite good i think and they fold away so you can't see them.
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
vert///mthree

My Ride: E46 M3 + E90 335
Just put velcro on everything
vert///mthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
jon323i

My Ride: 2000 323i SP&PP
I had the same annoyance, but found an OEM cargo net from a fellow fanatic for $45 in the classifieds.

No more crawling in the back of the trunk for your soup cans!
jon323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #14
Clockwork

My Ride: E46, E31, E53
generic cargo net at automotive store

http://www.skoda-auto.com/newoctavia...erback_2_3.jpg

the second picture (bottom one) shows a cargo net holding an umbrella. I bought that net from a Canadian Tire store in Canada. It is an automotive/Hardware store for $20 Can.
This generic net comes with 4 tie-downs. It is suposed to be used like the net in the middle of the cars flooring (spread out like a blanket net), but I doubled it up, so it is like a hammock, and i screwed the tie-downs into the back of the rear tail light housings. Actually, there were lots of holes in it already, so i just put the tie-down into one of the holes, so I never had to create another hole actually.
it works perfectly!!!
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Clockwork

My Ride: E46, E31, E53
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...romSearch=true

here is the actual product I bought, it is from BELL.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #16
skipm2k

My Ride: '04 330Ci 6spd.
Cargo net

You can get a cargo net at a motorcycle shop for about 10.00$us.
skipm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #17
bimmer jon

My Ride: M3(Sold),2005 645ci
i forgot. in the BMW accessories catalog, BMW has a trunk organizer that folds flat when not in use and pops up when you need to use it.

BMW has 3 trunks kits. The first picture is the one i was talking about. Says it should hold 40 pounds of stuff. here's a link

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc.htm
Search for Luggage Compartment Tray
Attached Images

B l a c k . S a p p h i r e . M e t a l l i c . 6 4 5 c i
bimmer jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
To answer your question simply, yes there is a cargo net that is made just for this. It's about $50.
There have been many other options listed and one more(but for the inside of your car is to add the first aid box(es) to the underside of the front of your seats. I have the cargo net, and two first aid boxes.

http://www.bmw325i.net/rev_firstaid_box.shtml
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote