E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Question E46 2001 Coupe steering wheel telephone controls

On my e46 2001 325Ci I have a couple of buttons on the steering wheel that I believe relate to the installed (Nokia) car phone kit.

One has R/T written on it and one has what looks like a speech symbol

Could someone please explain how these work to me ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46_steering_wheelww.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	168637  
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
330I DRVR

My Ride: 05 330I
I activated the Blue Tooth function on my phone and my phone found my car, I then plugged in my pass code and my phone and car were paired up. To use the Blue Tooth speaker system in my car with my phone you hit the R/T to switch to telephone then scroll through your address book and hit the little face button just below the R/T button and your phone will dial through the speaker system and you will be able to talk hands free. I hope that helped with your question, if you need more help you can PM me.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
R/T means "radio/telephone" - so pressing it toggles between the two functions of your system. and the talking button is pressed quickly to redial, and held for a second to receive a voice command. both buttons are functionless without the bmw phone system or the ULF bluetooth system.
olinjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Is it possible to reroute these buttons to something other than the telephone, like to an on off powered switch or something of the sort?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
can't see that you'll be able to get those buttons working via bluetooth as i don't believe 2001 models are supported.

should work ok when properly hooked up to a car phone though. might need some professional assistance!
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
e4t6

My Ride: 2001 330i Sport
I used the those buttons in my phoneless e46 for my new aftermarket head unit (in my case, an Eclipse AVN5435). The R/T button is used to change sources and talking button is used for muting. Very cool.
e4t6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Thanks guys. It seems that my steering wheel controls probably aren't connected to the (professionally installed, but Nokia, not BMW cradle). Pressing R/T or the voice button does nothing, neither does the steering volume control work on the phone.

There must be some degree of integration with the stereo because when the phone rings or I activate the phone in the cradle using it's keypad the stereo mutes, and comes on again when the call completes.

As for bluetooth, I know there's a retrofit option available, but at over 1000 from BMW I think I can live with reaching a few inches further to the phone cradle.
After all, if I'm gonna spend an extra 1000 on the car it's gonna get mv or mv2 wheels or a leather interior!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tony325ci_51text.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	168799  

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 03-02-2006 at 02:31 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote