E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
elester12

My Ride: 04` 325i
Send a message via AIM to elester12
Car shakes while driving....

Hello all! I have just about gone insane with this problem in my car. When I first start the car being cold and get to about 60-65MPH the car feels like its shaking too much. I can feel "tap tap tap tap tap" on the wheel. Now, whats strange is the problem goes away after the cars warmed up. I just had a new manual transmission/clutch installed... I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I know some of you will say check the wheel balance... but I have...twice...they're fine. Others will say check the alignment.. I did that as well! Help! I have an XI i dont know if that may have something to do w/it.
elester12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
You have stock wheels or aftermarket?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
deutsch325

My Ride: xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12
Hello all! I have just about gone insane with this problem in my car. When I first start the car being cold and get to about 60-65MPH the car feels like its shaking too much. I can feel "tap tap tap tap tap" on the wheel. Now, whats strange is the problem goes away after the cars warmed up. I just had a new manual transmission/clutch installed... I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I know some of you will say check the wheel balance... but I have...twice...they're fine. Others will say check the alignment.. I did that as well! Help! I have an XI i dont know if that may have something to do w/it.
Initially, I would have said check wheel balance. sorry, but bmws are very sensitive equipment, even an ounce out of balance on one wheel can give a vibration at speed. What tire pressure are you running? I use 34/39 F/R on my xi(transfer case requires 5psi bias to the rear). My mom drives a 2002 325xit with 60k miles and it makes a really loud vibration/grinding noise at highway speed but I don't think it's coming from the wheels. I think it's the differentials, which have never had fluid changes(this is a snow-going car so the diffs worked harder than average). I plan to change the diff fluid on my 03 325xi pretty soon..

PS tranny and clutch; break in carefully.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
get your tires balanced and or alignment.
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
get your tires balanced and or alignment.
Wow, way to actually read the post before responding.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
deutsch325

Quote:
Others will say check the alignment.. I did that as well! Help! I have an XI i dont know if that may have something to do w/it.
BTW when you get 4 wheel alignment, make sure they use 325xi specs, they are different from all other e46. Make them print you a sheet with the values so you can check their work(also retain it for future reference). they like to just get it in the ok range, tell them you want it closer if they were lazy
Old 11-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
elester12

I love how the guy who wrote i should get an alignment and wheel balance didnt see in my orig. post that I did that already. I went to a BMW dealer.. They told me that the virbration is normal. Normal my butt! I never had them before. --I have OE style 17 wheels and i run whatever the sticker on the door says for the tire pressure... I have no idea whatelse it could be. I'm way out of warrenty so I dont know if its worth taking in
Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
bushings?

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Wills330ci

My Ride: BMW 330CI
Send a message via AIM to Wills330ci
tire

Quote:
I dont know if it is this simple but my tire air pressure was way too low and I had the shaking problem too. Putting nitrogen in your tires will help also...
Wills330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
deutsch325

Quote:
I went to a BMW dealer.. They told me that the virbration is normal. Normal my butt! I never had them before. --I have OE style 17 wheels and i run whatever the sticker on the door says for the tire pressure... I have no idea whatelse it could be. I'm way out of warrenty so I dont know if its worth taking in
I took my xi in to the dealership when it was less then one year old for an unusual sound I had noticed, it was quiet at low speeds and louder and higher frequency at freeway speed. They called me after taking a look at it and said they couldn't replicate the sound. I tell him I'm not deaf, I can hear a vibration, windows up music off, it's very distinct. The tech jumped in the car with me and I drove for 5 minutes and pointed it out, but he said it's not abnormal for BMWs to transmit tire noise. I ask him will it fix it if I change my tires? I was looking forward to losing the contis anyway.. He says "It might.." So a month or two later I blow a tire on the freeway and order a new set of bridgestone re950s(vr) from tirerack. I get them mounted and balanced and the noise is gone. Dissappears for a while when the treads were fresh, but now that they are half-worn the vibration is back. I've had tires rebalanced and regular wheel alignment too, seemed to improve the situation, but I can still hear it especially after a long 200 mile stretch. Thinking of switching to a tire that is known to have quieter qualities, also one that BMW recommends(Michelin, Pirelli, Conti) The Pirelli pzero nero m+s is tempting. This time I'll have wheel works install it though.. goodyear is retarted they know nothing, one guy was road testing my car after rotation-rebalance and I saw him drive it over a speed bump without clutching or even letting off the gas.

I think you should just get a bunch of different people to listen to it, someone will be able to diagnose it. New tires may or may not help.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #11
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

My Ride: goes wshh
Could be a control arm. I had a severe shake in my wheels and steering wheel if i would hit a bump on the highway or something. Also, when turning into a driveway with a high lip i could hear a clunking sound when the wheel hit the lip. I ended up needing 2 new front control arms to the tune of $1300.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
whitedove

My Ride: E46 323i
shakyness

I agree i had same problem with the control arms and bushings. Check brake disc
whitedove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #13
elester12

But its only when its cold...

You all point out great ideas... but why does it ONLY happen when its cold!!! once the car is warmed up..the shaking goes away. The wheel doesnt shake...just the car only when cold. After 4 miles..its gone!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
berserker

My Ride: 2000 328i stick
Quote:
You all point out great ideas... but why does it ONLY happen when its cold!!! once the car is warmed up..the shaking goes away. The wheel doesnt shake...just the car only when cold. After 4 miles..its gone!
Yep I have it too now - my huess is that when it is cols out the rubber in the bushings contract - when the heat up after a bit of driving the rubber expands, thus lessening the effects of your worn bushings....

I am relacing the control arms next week - I am 100% sure that is my issue, as it has gotten worse I have the braking shakes, and skakes at 140 KM/h
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 AM   #15
elester12

let me know what happens after replacing them. I dont want to do them if I dont have to (I hear its a pain in the butt)
Old 11-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #16
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
i would say front control arm bushings...i'm about to replace mine....similar problem.
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #17
Porsche Guy

My Ride: M3/GT3
differential could be the problem also since u have the Xi
Porsche Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #18
elester12

hey guys..you know what i noticed today..when i push the clutch in at a high RPM... I get vibration in the clutch (its a new clutch) --i wonder if that has anything to do w/it!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #19
elester12

Guess what everyone.. I solved the damn problem! I replaced my bushings, control arms, and tires. It was one of those or may be ALL of them... but problem solved!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 AM   #20
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
my bad on this post, i was in class and the teacher was coming
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote