E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
IcemanJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 65
My Ride: '02 M3 SMG in CB
Send a message via AIM to IcemanJ
Unhappy LED Tail Lights flickering after install...need assistance

hey guys,

wonder if anyone can help. i just installed the LED tails to my 2002 M3 (10/01 build) and when i power up the lights, the LEDs flicker like strobe lights. has anyone had this before? i haven't brought it in for the reflash yet, but i don't think that will fix the flickering...or will it? could it be that i need a new LCM? The guy from Crevier told me that on 10/01 and newer do not need the new LCM so he did not include one in my kit.

When I depress on the brakes, the lights stop flickering. Only when the headlights are on and idling (no braking) will the LEDs flicker.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
IcemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
bimmer000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in my car.
Posts: 22
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanJ
hey guys,

wonder if anyone can help. i just installed the LED tails to my 2002 M3 (10/01 build) and when i power up the lights, the LEDs flicker like strobe lights. has anyone had this before? i haven't brought it in for the reflash yet, but i don't think that will fix the flickering...or will it? could it be that i need a new LCM? The guy from Crevier told me that on 10/01 and newer do not need the new LCM so he did not include one in my kit.

When I depress on the brakes, the lights stop flickering. Only when the headlights are on and idling (no braking) will the LEDs flicker.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
yes, getting it reflashed should do it, a newer lcm maybe needed but in your case because of the production date yours should be fine.
bimmer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
IcemanJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 65
My Ride: '02 M3 SMG in CB
Send a message via AIM to IcemanJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer000
yes, getting it reflashed should do it, a newer lcm maybe needed but in your case because of the production date yours should be fine.
i hope you're right . i'll try to get it reflashed tomorrow. has anyone had the flickering issue right after the install?
IcemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
:. RaFFi .:
Registered User
 
:. RaFFi .:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sunland, CA
Posts: 1,174
My Ride: MBZ SL55 ///AMG
Yeah, alot of people have that problem. Once you get it reflashed, it will go away.
__________________
:. RaFFi .: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
rusty0099
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 655
My Ride: Steel Grey M3
they are flashing because the computer doesn't recognize LEDs and keep checks to find the conventional bulbs. reflashing is the procedure that makes the computer recognize the LEDs instead of bulbs so yes, after reflashing it will be gone
rusty0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
IcemanJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 65
My Ride: '02 M3 SMG in CB
Send a message via AIM to IcemanJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty0099
they are flashing because the computer doesn't recognize LEDs and keep checks to find the conventional bulbs. reflashing is the procedure that makes the computer recognize the LEDs instead of bulbs so yes, after reflashing it will be gone
Thanks =)
IcemanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
Erik_G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 178
My Ride: Bmw M3 E46
I have the same problem. What should I tell my Bmw-mechanic to reflash? The ECU or what?
Erik_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
gimpyviper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,299
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 - PYM
Send a message via AIM to gimpyviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_G
I have the same problem. What should I tell my Bmw-mechanic to reflash? The ECU or what?
You have to make sure you ask them to code the car using DISPlus, MoDiC III or GT-1 via the Retrofit path (LED tail lights)

That's the actual instruction written in the official BMW guide for LED tail retrofit install.

Write it down or print it out but specifically ask them to do just that. Alot of the dealers don't even have a clue as to what to reflash. If you give them these exact instruction they'll be fine.

Try to get it done for free, but if you can't no more than 1/2 hour of labor.

If you're interested in getting the fourt ring lit go here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161717
__________________


"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

Last edited by gimpyviper; 02-26-2006 at 10:52 AM.
gimpyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
yesyes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto,canada
Posts: 729
My Ride: 330ci
where do you guys order them ? how's fitment ? will it fit on my 330ci 2001 ?
__________________

** Offensive Images Removed **
yesyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
fu98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 374
My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_G
I have the same problem. What should I tell my Bmw-mechanic to reflash? The ECU or what?
hey somebody posted that video one time of the flickering.. i thought it looked pretty sweet.. kind of like a spaceship.. you should leave it...


fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
gimpyviper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,299
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 - PYM
Send a message via AIM to gimpyviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyes2
where do you guys order them ? how's fitment ? will it fit on my 330ci 2001 ?
Depends on if you want true OEM parts and if you care about that, if you don't go here - http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....roducts_id=271

If you want the real OEM parts, contact circleBMW or pacificbmw both off great prices and your final price should be around 525 + shipping unless you need a new LCM (November 2001 or earlier) in which case add another 160 dollars

Coupe
  • Left Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 695
  • Right Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 696
  • Left Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 701
  • Right Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 702
  • Left Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 017
  • Right Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 018
  • Adaptor Cable/Plug Set - 61 12 0 153 650
  • Left Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 705
  • Right Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 706
  • Wire Lead to Activate 4th Ring - 61 13 0 005 197 (x2)

Cab
  • Left Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 733
  • Right Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 734
  • Left Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 701
  • Right Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 702
  • Left Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 019
  • Right Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 020
  • Adaptor Cable/Plug Set - 61 12 0 153 650
  • Left Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 705
  • Right Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 706
  • Wire Lead to Activate 4th Ring - 61 13 0 005 197 (x2)

LCM (Light Control Module)
Halogen Lights
  • No Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 066
  • Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 068

Xenon Lights
  • No Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 070
  • Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 072
__________________


"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."

Last edited by gimpyviper; 02-26-2006 at 08:14 PM.
gimpyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
BMWPower06
Registered User
 
BMWPower06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DC Area Want: TX
Posts: 21,537
My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
i had that prob, the reflashed fixed it tho
__________________


Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
yesyes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto,canada
Posts: 729
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper
Depends on if you want true OEM parts and if you care about that, if you don't go here - http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....roducts_id=271

If you want the real OEM parts, contact circleBMW or pacificbmw both off great prices and your final price should be around 525 + shipping unless you need a new LCM (November 2001 or earlier) in which case add another 160 dollars

Coupe
  • Left Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 695
  • Right Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 696
  • Left Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 701
  • Right Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 702
  • Left Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 017
  • Right Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 018
  • Adaptor Cable/Plug Set - 61 12 0 153 650
  • Left Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 705
  • Right Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 706
  • Wire Lead to Activate 4th Ring - 61 13 0 005 197 (x2)

Cab
  • Left Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 733
  • Right Tail Lamp LED - 63 21 6 920 734
  • Left Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 701
  • Right Bulb Carrier - 63 21 6 920 702
  • Left Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 019
  • Right Lamp Covering/Seal - 63 21 6 933 020
  • Adaptor Cable/Plug Set - 61 12 0 153 650
  • Left Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 705
  • Right Trunk Lamp 63 21 6 920 706
  • Wire Lead to Activate 4th Ring - 61 13 0 005 197 (x2)

LCM (Light Control Module)
Halogen Lights
  • No Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 066
  • Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 068

Xenon Lights
  • No Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 070
  • Rain/Auto Sensor - 61 31 6 925 072
thanks... on umnitza page is says Requires no LCM ... i ask umnitza but he said they need few more weeks, but i dont know for what
__________________

** Offensive Images Removed **
yesyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
gimpyviper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,299
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 - PYM
Send a message via AIM to gimpyviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyes2
thanks... on umnitza page is says Requires no LCM ... i ask umnitza but he said they need few more weeks, but i dont know for what

You only need a new LCM if your car is older than 11/2001 If it's newer than that all you need is to reflash the LCM.

However, with the umnitza product you don't even need to reflash the LCM at all. It's a direct bolt on product from what I understand. I can't say for sure about fitment and color and quality but I'm sure it's a high quality product.

If you have a car older than 11/2001 I'd tell you for sure to go for the umitza product. Otherwise it would cost you almost 800 bucks to do the retrofit. Not worth it.

If your car is newer than 11/2001 then I would say its up to weather or not you care about the parts being BMW or not. If you do care, get the parts I listed. If you don't car get the umitza product. They're alot easier to install. Less parts and no need to flash your LCM.

Oh I forgot to mention the trunk lights are completely option. I have a set but I didn't install them because I like the look of the old ones more.
__________________


"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
gimpyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #15
yesyes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto,canada
Posts: 729
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper
You only need a new LCM if your car is older than 11/2001 If it's newer than that all you need is to reflash the LCM.

However, with the umnitza product you don't even need to reflash the LCM at all. It's a direct bolt on product from what I understand. I can't say for sure about fitment and color and quality but I'm sure it's a high quality product.

If you have a car older than 11/2001 I'd tell you for sure to go for the umitza product. Otherwise it would cost you almost 800 bucks to do the retrofit. Not worth it.

If your car is newer than 11/2001 then I would say its up to weather or not you care about the parts being BMW or not. If you do care, get the parts I listed. If you don't car get the umitza product. They're alot easier to install. Less parts and no need to flash your LCM.

Oh I forgot to mention the trunk lights are completely option. I have a set but I didn't install them because I like the look of the old ones more.
i believe my car was made somewhere in 2000, but marked as 2001 so if i dont have LCM it's not worth doing? even umnitza led's wont work without doing major configuration ? how can i check if it has lcm ?
__________________

** Offensive Images Removed **
yesyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #16
gimpyviper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,299
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 - PYM
Send a message via AIM to gimpyviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyes2
i believe my car was made somewhere in 2000, but marked as 2001 so if i dont have LCM it's not worth doing? even umnitza led's wont work without doing major configuration ? how can i check if it has lcm ?
No no, all cars have an LCM you just need a new one if you want the BMW LED tail lights since your car is a 2000 model.

Since you're car is a 2000 model you should just get the umnitza lights. They'd be alot cheaper. (300 for the set I believe as opposed to 800 to do the full BMW retrofit) They should work fine and with little hassle.
__________________


"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you."
gimpyviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
soaristo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LA
Posts: 28
My Ride: m3
ok now i have the same problem
my car is early 2001 M3. bought the LED kit from crevier BMW, and have my dealer reflash my LED with NEW LCM, now LED taillight works and turn signal flashed fine. but the DANG Dash warning light DID NOT go away even after the reflash, is this normal??? my dealer told me that the dashwarning will not go away?!??!?!
soaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
acitydweller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,183
My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper
However, with the umnitza product you don't even need to reflash the LCM at all. It's a direct bolt on product from what I understand. I can't say for sure about fitment and color and quality but I'm sure it's a high quality product.

If you have a car older than 11/2001 I'd tell you for sure to go for the umitza product. Otherwise it would cost you almost 800 bucks to do the retrofit. Not worth it.

If your car is newer than 11/2001 then I would say its up to weather or not you care about the parts being BMW or not. If you do care, get the parts I listed. If you don't car get the umitza product. They're alot easier to install. Less parts and no need to flash your LCM.
I bought a set from Umnitza. They are made by depo. The lights are blurry (due to the plastic lense) and dimmer than OEM. The lights will not go on unless the car is turned on. Fitment is okay except the black cover that runs along the lights and trunk dont snap in very well at all. Required some filing to get it to fit. Repeated Bulb out error which goes away after pressing the brake pedal a few seconds... only to return moments later.

These are all things i wish i knew before i bought the lights from Umnitza... and these are things they wont tell you...
__________________

Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
fu98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 374
My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller
I bought a set from Umnitza. They are made by depo. The lights are blurry (due to the plastic lense) and dimmer than OEM. The lights will not go on unless the car is turned on. Fitment is okay except the black cover that runs along the lights and trunk dont snap in very well at all. Required some filing to get it to fit. Repeated Bulb out error which goes away after pressing the brake pedal a few seconds... only to return moments later.

These are all things i wish i knew before i bought the lights from Umnitza... and these are things they wont tell you...
a$$ hats.... i love it when vendors leave out the little things like fitment and function... pure weaksauce...
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #20
Nelson
OEM ///Member
 
Nelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,082
My Ride: Alpin weiß ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu98
a$$ hats.... i love it when vendors leave out the little things like fitment and function... pure weaksauce...
weaksauce!
__________________

///M
| eBay mod'ing sUUCks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use