E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
r6tanz

My Ride: ///332 & 328
What Oil Weight is recommended for my 2000 328ci?

Does anyone know what oil weight to use on a 2000 328ci?
And also how many quarts?
I'm gonna use the bimmer DIY website for help
r6tanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
BMW owner's webpage states that E46 2.8L should use synthetic 5W-40. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 myself, but I wonder if 5W-30 would be ok for better mileage?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I've been running 5w-30 with no problems.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
therealm3

My Ride: 01 325, 89 M3, 05 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivea328I
I've been running 5w-30 with no problems.
If you use Mobil 1 the preferred weight is 0-40. Check out this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=168505
therealm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
GIO_21

My Ride: Active HKS Blown
Send a message via AIM to GIO_21
i use 5W-30 and its 7 quartz
Old 07-31-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
\\V

My Ride: 2002 AW 330ci
0w-40 for WARMER climates
\\V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
0w-40 for summer and if i drive my car hard
5w-30 for winter and easy driving

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
Lone

My Ride: 2000 328i
I know mileage is a factor in changing your oil, but does time have a role in it? Could you drive 1k miles in 6 months and still not need an oil change? I'm leaving for Iraq soon, and probably wont be back in about a year.....

I was gonna have a friend turn on the car weekly and let it run for 5-10 minutes and then shut it off
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
r6tanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3
If you use Mobil 1 the preferred weight is 0-40. Check out this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=168505

wow that was an awesome thread i guess you guys running Mobil 1 5w30 should switch to 0w40 now
Old 07-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
therealm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone
I know mileage is a factor in changing your oil, but does time have a role in it? Could you drive 1k miles in 6 months and still not need an oil change? I'm leaving for Iraq soon, and probably wont be back in about a year.....

I was gonna have a friend turn on the car weekly and let it run for 5-10 minutes and then shut it off
yes oil will degrade over time due to fuel or coolant blow by(all be it small amounts) contaminating the oil. I change mine every 5k miles or 6 mo., which ever comes first. Also have your friend drive the car instead of letting it idle. this will circulate things much better. Get a battery tender and pump up the pressure in your tires to like 50lbs. if it is going to sit for extended periods of time in the same spot. Put a box of baking soda or something similar inside the car to absorb moisture and put some mouse traps near and under the car so you don't have unwanted guests making a home in the car.

Take care over there!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
shortyb

My Ride: Has blue lights
Quote:

I salute you for your service, be safe over there.

On the storage, its not really a good idea to run your car like this. It would be better if you changed the oil and filter (after a good long drive) and then stored it without running it. If you want your friend to run it, it should be driven and probably for a good 20-30 minutes to get the oil temp up. This way moisture can burn off and keep combustion by-products at a minimum.
shortyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM   #12
Lone

unfortunately i dont really trust my friend driving my car( barely knows how to drive stick, RWD, or both in the snow). So it'll be okay to let the car sit outside yearlong without turning it on until I get back and then change all the fluids? I was going to sell it, no point in keeping it when I dont see it for a year, but my departure date is set for august 29th. not enough time

and why would there be rats? i dont usually keep cheese in my car haha
Old 07-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
therealm3

Quote:
unfortunately i dont really trust my friend driving my car( barely knows how to drive stick, RWD, or both in the snow). So it'll be okay to let the car sit outside yearlong without turning it on until I get back and then change all the fluids? I was going to sell it, no point in keeping it when I dont see it for a year, but my departure date is set for august 29th. not enough time

and why would there be rats? i dont usually keep cheese in my car haha
Wow. the car will take a beating outside for a year. No garage you can use? maybe rent a storage unit? Mice will seek out cozy little spots to build a nest away from the elements. There are plenty of areas that meet this description in a car. You should hear some of the stories from guys on the E30 M3 list. Mice in the heater system, in mufflers, etc.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #14
Lone

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3
Wow. the car will take a beating outside for a year. No garage you can use? maybe rent a storage unit? Mice will seek out cozy little spots to build a nest away from the elements. There are plenty of areas that meet this description in a car. You should hear some of the stories from guys on the E30 M3 list. Mice in the heater system, in mufflers, etc.
oh wtf. I never knew this, but if i leave rat traps around, i dont want dead rats decaying inside of my car. i did see on pimp my ride that rats ate through this girl's floor and carpet, didnt think rats could survive in the cold though outside. It'll get expensive to put it in storage for a year. The best I can do is a car cover.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
r6tanz

Quote:
oh wtf. I never knew this, but if i leave rat traps around, i dont want dead rats decaying inside of my car. i did see on pimp my ride that rats ate through this girl's floor and carpet, didnt think rats could survive in the cold though outside. It'll get expensive to put it in storage for a year. The best I can do is a car cover.
squirrels built a nest in my friends car and it caught on fire when she started it up...
The leaves that the squirrels brought in to make a nest was ignited from the heat of the engine.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Lone

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6tanz
squirrels built a nest in my friends car and it caught on fire when she started it up...
The leaves that the squirrels brought in to make a nest was ignited from the heat of the engine.

oh man, maybe i should get a 360 degree car cover so nothing can get in?