E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
Gbimmer

My Ride: Subway
Buying two cars at once

So basically, my brother totalled his car and my mom needs a commuter car to save on gas money. Now, what would be the best way to walk into a dealership and use the need for 2 cars as a negotiating tool to lower the price of both? Woudl you go in, bargain on one, and then say, "I'll buy that one too if you give it to me for X$?" or would it be best to go in and say, "I'm looking for two cars, I'm want this one and this one for X dollars combined."
Gbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
joedaddy

My Ride: OCTA
ummm...save the trouble and tell them that u want 2 cars
Old 06-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
MikeT325ci

My Ride: 02' 325ci
Ok so im thinking the best way to go at this, and any situation would be to figure out the price you wanna pay for both cars combined, then tell the sales guy that you have done all your research, and have already been given a very nice quote by dealer X down the road. Instead of playing the "Well can i get a better deal if i buy two?" game, i'd say just walk in there and act as if you already have a good deal going on over at some other dealer, and that you're just doing your final research...Maybe it will be as easy as the sales guy saying, "Well... if i can match that offer will you do it today?" That would be cool if it went that smooth...Good luck with that...
MikeT325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
vodkarocket

My Ride: 2006 M3
I would say you go in and negotiate on one car (the cheaper one).

Then, take some time to "think it over," and go negotiate the price on the second car. Since this second car is more expensive, first ask them to lower the price so you can buy this car (otherwise they assume you will buy the other one).

Once you have agreed on your desired price for both cars, tell them that if they can take XXXX off, that you will buy both on the spot.
2006 M3 Vert - OEM hardtop, Work VS-XX, BBS CH w/ JDM red caps, JIC/CROSS Competition Coilovers 564F/787R/RSM/Camber plates, Eibach F/R sways, Axxis Deluxe +, Eisenhaus Meisterschaft TI 83mm, Supersprint V2 headers, Supersprint Sections 1&2, V-CSL full CF bootlid, bumper, diffuser & hood, Hardwired V1, Icelink+
vodkarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Gbimmer

My Ride: Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
I would say you go in and negotiate on one car (the cheaper one).

Then, take some time to "think it over," and go negotiate the price on the second car. Since this second car is more expensive, first ask them to lower the price so you can buy this car (otherwise they assume you will buy the other one).

Once you have agreed on your desired price for both cars, tell them that if they can take XXXX off, that you will buy both on the spot.
This one actually sounds like the best idea.
Gbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
BGReddy00
09 X5

My Ride: 2009 X5
do you want the honest answer or the answer you wanna hear!? ha..i worked in sales at a dealership before..not bmw..and it was my summer job partly through HS/College so not a career,but everyone single person that bought more then one def got taken for a ride..they didnt care cause they were so excited or too many numbers or some odd combo, but it was really much easier to work the numbers on 2 cars then 1..it might seem like a deal, but shop around..and dont mention it at first..say o well maybe id like to get a second car after they give the numbers on the first and see if they can discount it..one last thing dont say id like to be in the ballpark for 399-450 or something like that cause thats just a prime target to up sell you..
Old 06-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
CareySutra
Banned

My Ride: VW BMP .:R32
Send a message via AIM to CareySutra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghard
So basically, my brother totalled his car and my mom needs a commuter car to save on gas money. Now, what would be the best way to walk into a dealership and use the need for 2 cars as a negotiating tool to lower the price of both? Woudl you go in, bargain on one, and then say, "I'll buy that one too if you give it to me for X$?" or would it be best to go in and say, "I'm looking for two cars, I'm want this one and this one for X dollars combined."
Tell your sales rep up front that you are looking to buy 2 cars at once. Being a Sales Rep myself...that is a dream come true. Automatically they will work their asses off to get you to a price you can agree on because they want to get both cars out...not only for commission, but also for monthly quota count reasons. Make sure they know that you are a serious buyer and not just a tire kicker because not all sales reps will help you out 100% knowing that they arent going to make a sale that day. Let them know everything you can do up front, i.e if you have a trade, how much you want to put down, doing that will give them an idea of where you are at and they can start working numbers in their head while you are looking at the cars. Dont say a price up front...pick out the exact 2 cars you want, show a lot of interest in buying them, and then sit down with them and work out numbers. I dont know what cars you are looking at so i cant give you a good quote on a bargaining price...but i would say if you are buying a new car, start 3000 below msrp, and if its used, start 4000 below list price. They might say that theres no way in hell they can sell you the cars for that price, but they will still go to their manager and get a price from them for you. That 1st price is going to still be a money making deal for the dealership. If it's still way more than what you want to pay, state a reasonable price that you will pay for the car, anywhere from 500-1000 off of that 1st reworked price (dependent upon what kind of car you are looking at). They will go see their sales manager again and tell the manager what price you said, and you will either end up somewhere inbetween the 1st reworked price and what you stated, or somewhere damn close to what you stated.
That is what I would say is the best way to approach buying a car from a dealership. If you go in there saying "I want to spend this much total on these 2 cars", it complicates things because you are missing the first few steps of the process. If you go in and settle on a price for one car and then bust out with "Ohh and Ill buy this one too if you give it to me for ???" im positive that you will end up paying more for the 2 cars than if you were to work out 2 deals at once. I dunno...thats just my 2 cents. And I apologize for that being a novel.
CareySutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
CareySutra
Banned

My Ride: VW BMP .:R32
Send a message via AIM to CareySutra
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Mpwr
Ok so im thinking the best way to go at this, and any situation would be to figure out the price you wanna pay for both cars combined, then tell the sales guy that you have done all your research, and have already been given a very nice quote by dealer X down the road. Instead of playing the "Well can i get a better deal if i buy two?" game, i'd say just walk in there and act as if you already have a good deal going on over at some other dealer, and that you're just doing your final research...Maybe it will be as easy as the sales guy saying, "Well... if i can match that offer will you do it today?" That would be cool if it went that smooth...Good luck with that...
This always seems like a good tactic but if you are bluffing, they will find out. Even though dealerships are competition against each other, they also communicate a lot because of this exact reason. Everytime someone comes in and does this, we ask for a copy of their worksheet from the other dealership, or we call over personally to verify whether the deal exists or not.
CareySutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
mccoy55

My Ride: Pershing 115
my dad has done this a bunch of times actually he goes in one day gets all the info on the two cars he wants gets a price quote. (it was a yukon xl and a denali). he went in the next day with a check written out for the amount he wanted to spend which was significantly lower then what they offered but he got the cars so i guess that works maybe just for that dealer but it workd
mccoy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
I would take a shiat in the 2 cars you want to buy.....Bring them back to the dealer..Tell them....Unless you give me a hell of a discount...I can not take these stinky cars
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote