E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Macario
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 16
My Ride: 325i
2001 E46 Radiator Hose Replacement

Hello all -

New to group here, and new to BMW. I want to replace upper and lower radiator hoses on my E46 but am unsure how to remove the clamps as I have only worked on American cars until now. Don't want to break anything. I know this is probably simple but I learn fast. If there is a DIY that talks about this just point me there.

Thanks
Macario is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
kbsilver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 621
My Ride: 2000 328i
I was told the hoses last almost forever

I was told the hoses last almost forever. Depends on your mileage. But I was told more than once BMW hoses will outlast the water pump and radiator, good for at least 120K miles. Now don't hold me to this, check with your dealer, but this is what I heard.

The plastic ends are molded to the hose. if you want to change them just pull the metal clips and they should slide off. Beileve they are sealed with O-rings.
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Macario
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 16
My Ride: 325i
Thanks for the info. I have 55K miles on my E46 and unsure if the hoses were ever changed by the previous owner but they look fine. I am going to drain and refill with coolant/distilled water mix very soon. Thanks again.

Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver
I was told the hoses last almost forever. Depends on your mileage. But I was told more than once BMW hoses will outlast the water pump and radiator, good for at least 120K miles. Now don't hold me to this, check with your dealer, but this is what I heard.

The plastic ends are molded to the hose. if you want to change them just pull the metal clips and they should slide off. Beileve they are sealed with O-rings.
Macario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
kbsilver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 621
My Ride: 2000 328i
One word - Water Pump

One word - Water Pump. You look like you want to do some preventitive maintenance. Many mechanics recommend replacing the water pump on our cars every 60K miles as they can start failing at that point. You do not want to overheat the straight 6 as with the long cyllinder head, it will warp almost eveytime. Search the archives.

You going to spend nearly $30 on BMW coolent (which is what we all recommend), might as well spend the extra $55 or so on the pump. The water pump is sealed with an O-ring, not a gasket, so it's an easy change out.

At it turns out I'm all set for my 60K mile maintenance coming up in about a month. I have the new water pump, new belts, coolent, air fillter, and fuel filter ready to go. Got them all from the dealer (the one I use gives 25% off on Saturdays to BMWCCA Club members).
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Macario
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 16
My Ride: 325i
Thanks Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver
One word - Water Pump. You look like you want to do some preventitive maintenance. Many mechanics recommend replacing the water pump on our cars every 60K miles as they can start failing at that point. You do not want to overheat the straight 6 as with the long cyllinder head, it will warp almost eveytime. Search the archives.

You going to spend nearly $30 on BMW coolent (which is what we all recommend), might as well spend the extra $55 or so on the pump. The water pump is sealed with an O-ring, not a gasket, so it's an easy change out.

At it turns out I'm all set for my 60K mile maintenance coming up in about a month. I have the new water pump, new belts, coolent, air fillter, and fuel filter ready to go. Got them all from the dealer (the one I use gives 25% off on Saturdays to BMWCCA Club members).
Macario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Surk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Burlington,CANADA
Posts: 848
My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
Good advice on the WP.. they are known\prone to go without notice... I'm at 65k miles on mine aand may just do it as prevent maint.. it feels good without play.. but you never know what road trip it fails on...

Here's a helpful WP replacement DIY from my buddy Mark (Canuck328i) to help anyone considering it..

http://www.tuningemotion.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2094
Surk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
///Mechanic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 1,078
My Ride: None currently
Me - "Don't fix it if it ain't broke"
You - If you got the money to waste, go ahead
__________________
YOU BOUGHT A BMW, IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO MAINTAIN IT............SELL IT.
///Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Macario
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 16
My Ride: 325i
Surk thanks for the good DIY. I appreciate it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Surk
Good advice on the WP.. they are known\prone to go without notice... I'm at 65k miles on mine aand may just do it as prevent maint.. it feels good without play.. but you never know what road trip it fails on...

Here's a helpful WP replacement DIY from my buddy Mark (Canuck328i) to help anyone considering it..

http://www.tuningemotion.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2094
Macario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #9
Surk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Burlington,CANADA
Posts: 848
My Ride: C Blk E46///M3
n\p

Canuck328i is the DIY Guru at our meets..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macario
Surk thanks for the good DIY. I appreciate it.
Surk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
munya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: NYC
Posts: 47
My Ride: 2012 Legacy GT
Send a message via AIM to munya
What about http://www.bavauto.com they have a replacment pump with a metal impellar.

Would this be a longer lasting solution?

josh
munya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
kbsilver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 621
My Ride: 2000 328i
Mine was metal from the factory

Just got around to changing the water pump on my 2000 328i at 62K miles. The original looked fine, had a metal impeller as did the replacement I purchased from the dealer. It took longer to drain the cooling system than it did to change the pump.

The pully was stuck to the pump and needed some force to get off. Be careful, the pully IS made of plastic.
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #12
silverbeamr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 196
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver
Just got around to changing the water pump on my 2000 328i at 62K miles. The original looked fine, had a metal impeller as did the replacement I purchased from the dealer. It took longer to drain the cooling system than it did to change the pump.

The pully was stuck to the pump and needed some force to get off. Be careful, the pully IS made of plastic.
you don't have to drain the system to change the water pump!
__________________
Driving an automatic is like having sex with a blow up doll-- sure she's easy, but not nearly as fun, and she's nothing you'd go bragging to your friends about.

People who track their cars make a safer road environment for everyone else.
silverbeamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
Rdizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 141
My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macario
Hello all -

New to group here, and new to BMW. I want to replace upper and lower radiator hoses on my E46 but am unsure how to remove the clamps as I have only worked on American cars until now. Don't want to break anything. I know this is probably simple but I learn fast. If there is a DIY that talks about this just point me there.

Thanks
It's actually really easy. There's a little spring clip on the ends of the hoses. Just use a flathead screwdriver to lift up the spring clip and put the hose out. I changed my upper radiator hose in like 15 minutes. I will do the lower one soon when I flush the coolant.
__________________
'00 328Ci Step + Sport & Premium Packages
Mods:
BMP Design Front Strut Bar | K&N 63 Series Intake | LED Interior Lighting | M3/H&R Sway Bars | OEM Bi-Xenons + CCFL Angel Eyes | Smoked Turn Signals | UUC SS Brake Lines | ZHP Shocks & Springs
Rdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
jansenw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fremont, CA
Posts: 5
My Ride: 2001 330i 4-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdizzle
It's actually really easy. There's a little spring clip on the ends of the hoses. Just use a flathead screwdriver to lift up the spring clip and put the hose out. I changed my upper radiator hose in like 15 minutes. I will do the lower one soon when I flush the coolant.
Just replaced my 2001 330i upper hose assembly ($33). The pressure release plug was sheered off and not maintaining pressure (I could fill the reservoir up but coolant would come bubbling out of the plug hole). I don't know what could have sheered it off. The snap rings made attachment easy (15 min.) once you got everything aligned.
jansenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #15
generx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PDX
Posts: 190
My Ride: scrapes
I agree on changing the WP, e46s (and e36s) are plagued with cooling issues when not maintained and as long as you're there, you may as well change out the t-stat and belts (BTW, belts are pretty much done at 50K, mine had chunks missing that were not visible, it's about $30+ for both) All very very easy to do since it's up top (WP is held on with 4 nuts, t-stat is held on with 4 nuts) Coolant was $20 from the dealer, in fact the t-stat, WP, and coolant all were really reasonably priced from my local dealer, besides I couldn't wait to do it at the time.

The WP that I removed at 47K had the newer composite impeller, looked new, worked fine, but for under $80 would rather replace. Already had a WP failure with my old e36 and that cost me a lot of $$$ (overheated, blew head gasket) It's alarming how quickly it happened too, temp just shot up, I shut it off but damage was already done. I'm paranoid now so I firmly believe in prevention.

The oldest water pumps are plastic (white impeller) then they came out with the metal ones (shiny metal impeller) and the latest ones are composite (looks like black plastic/composite) so get the newest one if you end up changing it.
generx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use