E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #1
Pan

My Ride: BMW 323i
Question What to look for when buying used? (BMW 323i)

Hello all fanatics. I've been looking over the site for the last few days because i was looking for information about the BMW 323. I'm considering purchasing a 1999 323i with 75,000 miles, manual transmission. Here are the options:

POWER WINDOWS,LOCKS,MIRRORS AND MOONROOF,16" ALLOY WHEELS,DUAL POWER FRONT HEATED SEATS,DUAL FRONT AND SIDE AIRBAG,TRACTION CONTROL,XENON LIGHTS,AM/FM RADIO,SINGLE CD,KEYLESS ENTRY,SECURITY SYSTEM,TINTED WINDOWS,BLACK EXTERIOR WITH BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR.

I do not believe it has the sport package. The car looks like it is in excellent shape and is very reasonably priced (to me at least). I do not plan on modding it at all, which is why I'm not pursuing a 328i.

I am new to BMW, and this would be my second car purchase ever. What are some known issues with the 323's at this mileage point? Other concerns I should look for/have a dealer inspect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
CC Nomada

My Ride: 98 ///M3/4/5 Silver
Send a message via ICQ to CC Nomada Send a message via AIM to CC Nomada
I have a 99 323i with around 73k on it. So far no real major problems luckily. One thing I would sugguest is remove the valve cover over the spark plugs and take a look. I replaced my spark plugs at 72,800 and found a small oil leak from a bolt between the 4th and 5th cylinder.
Also one of the first things you may want to do if you buy the car is change the spark plugs, especially if they are the originals. I think they are supposed to last till 100k or so. Mine probably would have but over the last 10k or so I've noticed a decrease in my MPG. I replaced my spark plugs with Denso Iridium IK20s. Few days after I changed them I had a friend (someone I drive with a lot) in the car and as I climbed past 3500 and shifted at about 5000 or so, he was like, "wow nice power and sounds nice too." To me they made a noticable differance, especially in the higher RPMs, they also seemed to give the engine a sweeter sound lower down in the RPMs too.
CC Nomada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Big Willy

My Ride: 2000 323CI
YEAH DONT FORGET TO SEARCH THIS SITE FOR INFO ON SUB FRAME DAMAGE.
YOU DONT WANT TO HAVE TO DROP 2-3 THOUSAND TO FIX THAT. I HAVE A 00 323CI AND HAVENT HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS YET
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
While its really more prevelant on the coupes then the sedans I would have a mechanic/body shop check the subframe to make sure its not cracked, that is a known issue on the early model 3's. Like the other post, I would replace plugs check to make sure there are no leaks. My car is a 2000 323 with almost 114k on it right now and it runs really strong, had one major problem with the trans at 112k (manual) but that was fixed for $1300 which I dont think is that much considering how long I have had the car with really no problems.

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
richietherocket

My Ride: 323iT Wagon
Send a message via Yahoo to richietherocket
Things that have come up on my 323 Wagon are:
1--Try to find out if the control arms have been replaced. These are notorious for going out and it's about 350-400 bucks to get them fixed.
2--Brakes need to be replaced and that is another 300 or so. Unless you DIY and then it will be much less
3--Check for Subframe damage as already stated. You can pull the trunk mat up and then pull the two rubber plugs and shoot a flashlight down to see if there are any cracks

Good luck. Mine is a dream to drive. It has about 79000 miles on it and mine is a 2000. They will last forever if you do the maintanence on them

Rich
richietherocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
At 75,000 miles, things to watch for and replace:

-Control arms and control arm bushings (most cars will be on their second if not third set by 75k, assuming they've been cared for)
-Spark plugs will need replacement (I recommend between 50k and 60k, honestly)
-Transmission fluid should be changed
-Differential fluid changed
-Coolant flush
-Check for power steering leaks
-Windshield guard at bottom of windshield, probably will be cracking
-Wheel bearings (I had one go at 49k)

Common problems which may or may not appear upon inspection (but will likely occur sooner or later regardless):
-Sunroof shade
-Window regulator
-Control arm bushings
-Wheel bearings

Also check the alternator, power steering pump, radiator for leaks.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
i got mine a used 323i with 100,000 miles yr 2000 for 10,500 and it got everything u have including cd changer in the trunk
iverson2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote