E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
HardBMW

My Ride: BMW 325ci
Angry !!locked My Keys In Car!!!

hey i need some serious help, i locked my keys in my car and i have no other keys to unlock it with, i have one key in my armrest and i lokced the one i was using in my trunk, i know i know im extremely stupid and dont have anyother keys not even the little plastic fella, what should i do, is there anyhting i can do to get into the car, or anyone or company that can, can a dealership do it? PLEASE HELP IM STRESSIN, MY CARS JUST PARKED ON VENTURA BLVD>

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: 1995 E36/2003 E46
OK, if you installed the keyhole cover and removed the locking mechanism, you can unlock the car by simply inserting a screwdriver in there (philips) and turning. Which reminds me, don't just leave the hole open -- seal it off or leave the original locking mechanism there.

Aside from that, the only way is to bust a window... where's the little wallet key? Can someone bring that to you? Is your car sealed up tight? If not, you could slip something long and hit the center button.

Good luck.
Sicily1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Will ZCPM3

My Ride: ///M3
i cant help but that sucks man, i think thats about the only way to lock your keys in a bmw
Old 02-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
rapid

My Ride: 03 sedan
oh man...a similar situation happened to some other guy on here..
he had several locksmiths attempt to pick the lock but none of them could do it. bmw's are one of the more difficult vehicles to break into. I'm pretty sure the only way to get in is to break a window or have a new key fabricated for you.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
HardBMW

My Ride: BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918
OK, if you installed the keyhole cover and removed the locking mechanism, you can unlock the car by simply inserting a screwdriver in there (philips) and turning. Which reminds me, don't just leave the hole open -- seal it off or leave the original locking mechanism there.

Aside from that, the only way is to bust a window... where's the little wallet key? Can someone bring that to you? Is your car sealed up tight? If not, you could slip something long and hit the center button.

Good luck.
i dont have the plastic key at all i lost it =(, i hav a 325ci,never have touched the door handles, i dont think it has a keyhole cover, no way to go through the sunroof or trunk? How much to reapir the window?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
Dougs325
Anxiously awaits a turbo

My Ride: '03 325i
Send a message via AIM to Dougs325
"When in doubt...call BMW"

If someone challenges you to an after-school fight, tell them you don't want to fight afterschool...you can kick their ass right now.
Dougs325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
///M DrOp

My Ride: ///M3 Drop
did you figure anything out?
///M DrOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:32 PM   #8
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Your best deal is to call BMWNA (roadside assistance) and have them tow your car to the nearest BMW service center. When you get to the dealership you have to order a new key from them. Don't order another master key because that would be over $150. Just order a vallet key (non electronic key).
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
otto325coupe

My Ride: 01 frontier crew cab
your keys have a code that came with them. find it and you should be able to have a new key made at the dealer. get ready to bend over no matter what the solution is. good luck.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA
Your best deal is to call BMWNA (roadside assistance) and have them tow your car to the nearest BMW service center. When you get to the dealership you have to order a new key from them. Don't order another master key because that would be over $150. Just order a vallet key (non electronic key).

how did you lock the car without the key?
Old 02-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
sycE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarSong

how did you lock the car without the key?
He left his keys in his trunk. I did that once... but luckily I was home at the time.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
Amil
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
where on ventura? i wonder if its nearby my house
Old 02-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46
He left his keys in his trunk. I did that once... but luckily I was home at the time.
oops, i need to learn to better
Old 02-01-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
kataklyzm

My Ride: 323i
find someone with a slimjim set

co-worker loked his keys in his 5 series whith engine running, naturally he freaked out, so i went to the back and got a slimjim set (worked at mitsubishi, so we had one handy) and it took about 10 minutes to open it, while he was behing me blabbing about how its impossible to slimjim a bimmer
kataklyzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
GHoStRidEr4450

My Ride: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataklyzm
find someone with a slimjim set

co-worker loked his keys in his 5 series whith engine running, naturally he freaked out, so i went to the back and got a slimjim set (worked at mitsubishi, so we had one handy) and it took about 10 minutes to open it, while he was behing me blabbing about how its impossible to slimjim a bimmer
Well your friend was partially right. When a BMW's engine is running, the cars locking mechanisms arent in a state of full lockdown. However when the car is off, its in a complete lockdown mode, if you were to try and slimjim the lock, a counterweight inside the door offsets the slimjim everytime you pull it up. So its futile to slimjim a locked Bimmer...
GHoStRidEr4450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:45 PM   #16
ADA
Banned

if you guys do a search, I had the same exact situation on X-mas 2003.

The thread was like 5-6 pages long and every scenario was discussed. Basically, it is extremely hard to "slim jim" a BMW.

Your best deal right now are two things:
1) Break your window
2) Order a new key
3) find someone that can slim jim a BMW---but this is like finding a needle in a hay stack
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #17
getchellad
Living Large

My Ride: 02 330xi, 01 C320,
Send a message via AIM to getchellad
break a back window... glass is pretty cheap if you do it yourself.. or most insurance companies cover glass....
getchellad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #18
vernong

My Ride: Steel Gray 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to vernong
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBMW
hey i need some serious help, i locked my keys in my car and i have no other keys to unlock it with, i have one key in my armrest and i lokced the one i was using in my trunk, i know i know im extremely stupid and dont have anyother keys not even the little plastic fella, what should i do, is there anyhting i can do to get into the car, or anyone or company that can, can a dealership do it? PLEASE HELP IM STRESSIN, MY CARS JUST PARKED ON VENTURA BLVD>
Call BMW Roadside Assistance thats one of the things that they can help you with.
Good luck
vern
vernong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 08:00 AM   #19
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by getchellad
break a back window... glass is pretty cheap if you do it yourself.. or most insurance companies cover glass....
or the front window.

when the BMW OEM cracked after first 2 months of usage, I called autoglass. $275 baby!!!

And from what I hear, that's a lot cheaper then gettting a key made at the dealer.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #20
323iguy
99 323 with a few dents

My Ride: 99 323i, 96 328conv.
Send a message via AIM to 323iguy
wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AM3R
i cant help but that sucks man, i think thats about the only way to lock your keys in a bmw
i seemed to figure out a new way. i had my door open and i was sitting still trying to move the car on deep snow ( i was stuck ) and the doors in my car lock over 5 mph so i guess the wheels got going at the rate they would be for 5 mph and the door locked. i couldnt hear them lock because i had the engine reved up and i have a uuc tse2. then i got out and shut the door a boom i was locked out with the car running
323iguy is offline   Reply With Quote