E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #21
Robin5

My Ride: 2003 M3 Cab
Bring your cars to your dealer and tell them to perform Service measure #54-200-03. It is a known problem and this is the solution they should be aware of.

I have an '03 M3 Cab and have experienced the rattle when the top is up only (regardless of hot or cold days). This measure, if properly done, will elliminate the rattle.

I would never accept the rattle. We paid top money for these cars and a rattle should not be included.
Robin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #22
JetBlack

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330ciC
Whoa! That could be it! I've always been suspicious of that part of the car so I'm going to try to put a little padding there and see if the noise goes away. Good call!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #23
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: 2.8-M52TU'ed Vert
hey!!!

squeaks are in Cic DNA.... it's normal (but try to use some siliconic spray on the junction of the roof structure.......)

this is my3rd BMW cabrio and I assure you that e46 are a lot quiter than e36...
in the e36 a lot of noise comes from the release handle

Phat gives you the right advice!!! PUMP UP THE MUSIC..... and install a direct exhaust.....

Old 01-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #24
Machan

My Ride: 330i and 325CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
Sounds pretty extreme. I hope that the sounds don't come back now. I am always afraid that when the BMW dealers mess with the car that it will be worse than what you brought it in for.

Last year I had to go in for a recall on the timing for the convertible top. After that my passenger side window never closed all the way down again. The dealer told me that this is normal and that it cannot be fixed. Do your convertibles have this problem too?

I just noticed today that my passenger side window does not go down all of the way now. the tip of the window stick up about a 1/4 inch.
Machan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:01 AM   #25
JetBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i and 325CiC
I just noticed today that my passenger side window does not go down all of the way now. the tip of the window stick up about a 1/4 inch.
Mine too. I think it sucks.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:57 AM   #26
RayC

My Ride: 2002 330Cic
I ditto all of you for the rattling noise. My driver seat squeak, the steering wheel squeak, the rear tonneau cobver squeak, and the driver's side convertible top rattle on bumps. I've taken my car in 4 times in the last year to fix all the annoying noises. I dont' think they really did anything on my first 3 visits, they pretty much just gave me the talk about how convertible doesn't have the b-piller support and it's normal for some ratting noise, spray some lub and gave it back to me. On my 4th visit I made friend with one of the tech that specialize in convertibles (I saw him on a bike and we both ride so we started talking) and he fixed all my rattling noise in one visit and they never came back. I think if they really look into it, they can fix it. It's just that most of the time I dont' think they really tried to fix it, just lub it and call it done.

Ray
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #27
winter_baby

My Ride: e46
After taking the car to the dealer a few times, I just gave up on fixing it... - The noise seems to disappear for short time after dealer touches it but returns shortly after.

I just accepted it as the cabrio DNA as TheRiddle's pointed out...

2003 330i Titanium Silver / Black - [Sold]
2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
2001 330cic Metallic Steel Gray / Gray - [Sold]
2000 Z3 2.8 Topaz Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]
1997 Z3 1.8 Atlanta Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]

winter_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:08 PM   #28
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

...especially when it's cold outside......

actually my car is squeaking all around.. (means that she's missing summer )..

when i clean the inside of the car (if the weather is ok) i always open the top,doing this the grease into the junction is "waked up".. and for a while she stills quiet...

IMHO with hardtop mounted it squeaks the same
Old 01-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #29
JetBlack

I think the 330cic has more squeaks in the seats and doors than it does in the convertible top. As convertible drivers we are all used to having more road noise and some rattling here and there from the convertible top, but my 330 seems to have noises in the door panels and in my drivers seat (sports seats) which cracks and groans all the time whenever my weight is shifted. I find those noises much more aggravating than any of the top's noises.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:01 PM   #30
ragiriad

My Ride: 02 M3 for sale
I've been hearing rattles but nothing from the drop top. The noise is comming from the doors as if the plastic peices used to hold the door panel are loose in their fittings. Maybe its different from your problem but just as annoying, even when I turn the stereo on the bass makes it more evident. I should take it in to the dealer to have it looked just didn't get a chance yet.

Anyone know where I could get the cheapest red and clear tail lights for the convertible? Bought the one's for the coupe to my surprise the coupes are different from the convertible so I posted them on ebay if anyone is interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455595068

Last edited by ragiriad; 01-23-2004 at 03:22 PM.
ragiriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #31
WHEEL1

My Ride: 03E46M3Cab /02 E53X5
To add my $0.02...

I have the same squeeky, rattle and it does annoy the crap out of me too!

Retired Cars:
Dinan 3er Cabbie
Nissan 240SX
WHEEL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #32
MidLifeCrisis

My Ride: 325Cic
Fix for the rattle in the Convertible top

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC
I ditto all of you for the rattling noise. My driver seat squeak, the steering wheel squeak, the rear tonneau cobver squeak, and the driver's side convertible top rattle on bumps. I've taken my car in 4 times in the last year to fix all the annoying noises. I dont' think they really did anything on my first 3 visits, they pretty much just gave me the talk about how convertible doesn't have the b-piller support and it's normal for some ratting noise, spray some lub and gave it back to me. On my 4th visit I made friend with one of the tech that specialize in convertibles (I saw him on a bike and we both ride so we started talking) and he fixed all my rattling noise in one visit and they never came back. I think if they really look into it, they can fix it. It's just that most of the time I dont' think they really tried to fix it, just lub it and call it done.

Ray
Since the rattle in your convertible top was fixed, can you find out from your new BMW service repair person what he did to fix it. I have taken my 325Cic in at least 6 seperate times and they say its fixed every time but it starts rattling as soon as I get in the car and hit the smallest bump on the road. It is coming from the rear passengers side behind safty bars. It's driving me bonkers! I have spent more time at the dealership than with my wife. She's starting to suspect / think that I am not really at the dealership. Too Funny!Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MidLifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #33
CaveDweller

My Ride: '04 325 CiC
I've got two rattles. One is caused by having tint on the windows. The tint covers whatever they put on the windows and rubs against the door seal. A little gummi phlege every couple months and it goes away. The other is from the right rear behind the back seat and it doesn't sound the same as the window rattle. It sounds more metal on metal. I've always figured it comes from my daughter's car seat because it goes away if I give her seat a quick jerk (without her in it of course )

As for my passenger window, it sticks up maybe 1/4 inch above the door when down. It's not even noticeable.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #34
s18adeli

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert/M3 Sedan
Send a message via AIM to s18adeli
The dealer told me that they couldn't cover my speakes and rattles since my car is an 01 m3 with 43k miles. I thought that it extends to 50,000 miles or 4 years. I'm covered only for engine/mechanical parts. Lets get more info on service action #54-200-03. this maybe could solve my rattles.

Thanks
s18adeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #35
04ragtop

My Ride: 04 330 Cic
I have had this exact same rattle in the right rear of my 04 330 convertible. It took two visits but after the second visit it was fixed. They told me that there was a service bulletin for this problem and a known fix for it. They replaced something and realigned something. Not sure exactly what they did but there's definitely a known fix for it if they do their research.

Now I have this really horrible squeek/rattle coming from my driver's side window top. They've told me to bring it in and they'll try and fix it. It is really, really loud and right next to my ear. I'll bring it in soon.

Don't accept that top rattle, they can fix it.
04ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #36
Micro64
ACM3

My Ride: IRed/IRed M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machan
Has anyone experienced a rattle in their covertible top? I have a 2004 325CiC and I have an annoying rattle that only occurs when the top is up. It seems to originate from the back of the top on the passenger side. I took it to the dealership and they sade they torqued some bolts underneath and it seemed to be fixed for a while but now it's back. I live in Chicago and it's really cold here now which could be a factor.

I'm taking it back to the dealership on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can give the dealership some hints.
this is prolly bad to say here but i am glad that i didnt go with the m3cab and got the hardtop again after the 330.. Cos i heard the rattling noises are nasty.. and hard tops feel more secure while parking at some places.. but well the chicks love it! I have another friend who asked 2 ladies which car they like better and they all wanted the 330cab instead of my m3coupe lol. Good luck fixing it !
Micro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #37
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
My top has no rattles whatsoever. The rest of the car is pretty much squeak-free too.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #38
Mikeyg

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG triple blk
Send a message via AIM to Mikeyg
i am ahving exact same problem...from rear passenger area...rattle will drive you up the f-ing wall! but radio covers it up

if you know a permanent fix, let me know!
Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:24 AM   #39
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

permantent fix would be a sedan or a coupe'

...i think....
Old 03-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #40
Mikeyg

My Ride: 02 M3 SMG triple blk
Send a message via AIM to Mikeyg
So, i took my car to BMW today to get various noises fixed in my BMW. here are some solutions that may help. FYI, i had the head mechanic test drive the car with me and he personally worked on my car, so if this doesn't work, don't know what will...

1) The outside release cable on the passenger door was making noises, so they removed the panel and installed foam around the release cable

2) Lube the convertable top seals

3) Lube your hood pins

4) they performed bulletin 54-200-03, which has to do with the tension rear bow seal. This actually was ROBIN5's suggestion!!

Hope this helps...just got the car back now..will if noises continue

Mike
Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote