E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M3's with 90,000 miles or more?

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  R3IGNman 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have, or know of someone who has a 90,000+ mile E46 M3? I would like to know how hard they drive it, what they have had to replace or fix... at what mileage and how much did it cost???

#4 ·
I bought my 01 m3 with 90k miles. I bought it from dealer and I had to replace the clutch and the coils. And it ran perfect after that. But in addition to that I changed all the fluids, air filter, alternator, battery and I think thats about it. But my car still drives solid. It currently has 115,000 miles.

#5 · (Edited)
Do you drive it hard? This is my perfect car... the only thing holding me back is all the repair/maint cost scares... Which is difficult to understand considering the E36 is allegedly very reliable and a strong runner for 6 figure mileage with just maintenance and attention. I would love to think the E46 is because I love the car so much more.

#6 ·
i drive her hard i hav 99k ....chaged fluids ,batt,so far so good ...she treats me well ...and if you didnt know im talkin about my M3 mate not my girl lol later

#8 ·
Yea, i do drive it hard. Especially when im on the highway I tend to have a heavier foot. I was afraid of the maintenance cost too before I got the car but I love the M3 and I went for it. It's not as that bad. Just find a good indy shop instead of going to the dealer. Also, research and buy parts online, from websites or fellow owners.

**That reminds me Rat3d M, you know you still owe me money from our last transaction.**

So this car is a car you guys plan to own til 150k? I don't mind a premium for maintenance or parts... but what I do NOT want is a car that will make me hate it. To me, this is the perfect car... 4 seats, a coupe... styling that won't ever get old to me... it has everything. But I want to buy one and keep it for a while because flipping cars costs more than the maintenance of the expensive ones. Mileage on these cars is climbing, they are getting older and the prices are dropping... I will take my time finding a well cared for M, and be smart about the purchase and hopefully I will be ok. Even if I buy one with 80-100,000 miles on it...

I am almost feeling like these cars and the maint/repair horror is hype, because I have read posts about how as long as you take care of it, IE. dont let it go to crap, change the oil and make sure you don't buy one from a neglegant owner with no records it will last a long time... with a lot of hard driven problem free miles. That's all I want.

#13 ·
OK, I had my fun so I'll throw in a serious response.

It sounds like you cannot afford to own an M3. That's not an insult, and I'm definitely not saying that I think people who can afford an M3 are in anyway better than those who can't. The truth is, most of the young people that own an M3 got it because their parents bought it for them, and I'm pointing this out because you sound pretty young. It used to be that people accepted it takes time and effort to save up for the more luxurious things in life, but it seems more and more that people expect the world as soon as they step out the door of whatever college they attended.

You said in an earlier thread that your budget is 25k, and a lot of people told you that isn't enough. Sure, there are people out there with high mileage cars that are very happy with them. The difference is that they likely have some money in the bank to take care of the problems when they come up. Again, I'm not here to comment on how much money I think you may or may not have, but if you don't have at least 20k in the bank left over after buying a luxury car, it seems like a bad idea. Not because I think the car will require 20k worth of attention, but because there is a lot more out there that is going to take money, not to mention the security of money in the bank.

So, take my opinion for what it's worth, I know you're pretty excited with the prospect of owning an M3. However, it seems like you'd be much better off relaxing for a few years, and accepting that you don't need an M3 the very minute that you can scrape together enough money to afford one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.