E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
fismail

My Ride: E46 330D/A exclusive
E46 330d/auto heavy (intermittent) steering.

Car is a E46 330d/auto.

What has been happening recently is that the steering gets "heavier" at random turning intervals.

Power steering fluid is all good.

Also had it flushed at Zeemax when I replaced the discs and pads on 16 March 2010.
No real major difference as steering still gets heavy at random intervals and then functions as normal (well I drive a facelift E90 320i sportpack and the steering felt just as heavy at low speeds as my E46) so maybe the problem is in my mind?

I went along to SMG Century City (Cape Town , South Africa) and spoke to one of the mechanics on the floor.
What he mentioned was that if the pump was going that it should be noisy and he checked the belts and they all ok.

There is one part that I bought that must still be installed which is a Banjo Bolt with 2 washers , the bolt acts like a valve (part number 32416781261) as well as the 2 washers (part number 32411093596)

See www.realoem.com -> http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&fg=20&hl=17

Has anyone had this problem before and has the part above solved the problem?
fismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
fismail

My Ride: E46 330D/A exclusive
Installed the new Banjo bolt (part number 32416781261) which made no real difference.
This bolt controls the pressure in the rack.
Whilst checking things out on the rack a leak was picked up on the right hand side of it.
Will have to have the steering rack refurbished / service (much cheaper than buying a new one)

Steering still feels firm and heavy but mechanic reckons it could just all be in my head (re the "heavy" steering)

Last edited by fismail; 03-23-2010 at 11:29 PM.
fismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
silverfish

My Ride: 2004 325
this happens to me sometimes, I just thought it was the tires reacting to differences in the road surface..
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Tlvivo

My Ride: 320i Individual
I also have this problem especially when I try to maneuverer in small spaces then its almost as if the car has no power steering at all. I do occasionally hear a whining noise though so maybe my pump needs to be changed.
Tlvivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
hvirani

My Ride: e46 320i
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_steering
hvirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Goughie

My Ride: 330d Sport Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvirani View Post
This. As article states, reasonaby well known about in the UK (I have a 300d, too).

"The protection of views purely on religious grounds cannot be justified. It is not only an irrational idea, but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary" - Lord Justice Laws, UK 29/04/2010
Goughie is offline   Reply With Quote