E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Speaker Upgrade/Amp Install

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shellback 
#1 ·
So this weekend I'm finally tackling a project that I've had waiting since I got the car. I had to order some additional parts from Crutchfield to make the speaker install possible, but I'm ready now.

I'm installing a new set of component speakrs, Alpine Type S, 600c into my front doors and an aftermarket amplifier. I've already Installed a couple Subs, so running wire to the trunk isn't a problem at all, and will be done in no time. The issue I have it the speaker wire. I was originally going to run new speaker wire to the front doors and started doing some research and found that most with e46s just tapped into the speaker wires running to the factory amp.

Lastly I'm going to be installing the ASWC steering wheel control integration as well.

My questions are as follows:
1. Is it best to tap into the wires in the trunk or run new wire? My new wire is a much thicker guage then the OEM wires.
2. Has anyone installed the steering wheel interface and is there a DIY on it, coudn't seem to find any real information on this.
3. If I do tap into the wires in the trunk, can I just buy wire taps, or do i need to solder the connections for best sound? I'm looking for something convieniend and not too time consuming if I decide to tap.
4. Has anyone run new speaker wires to the front doors before? How hard is it?

I have a 2002 325i Sedan.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't really say TOO much about it, as I haven't done it in mine yet. But a couple things for you. Chances are you won't notice a difference between using the stock wiring back to the doors, versus the new stuff. But to actually run it, you're running back to the front, then through the door fittings. The easiest way to do that, would be while you have the door panels off to change out the speakers, trace the wire back to the inside of the door jam from the speaker, and then hook your lines to that, and pull it through with the old wires. It might be easy, might not, depending on how tight the pack is, etc. Again, I haven't done it on one of these. Last one I did, was...hell, I don't even remember what car, it was a while ago. I haven't set up a serious quality setup in a long time. I usually just go factory wiring, for simplicity sake.

For best connection at the rear, you'd want to splice in and solder the wires, but I've never had issues with tap connectors either. As long as you have the correct ones, and keep them from getting yanked or pinched, they should be fine.

And let us know how you make out :)

#3 ·
I'll definitely keep you posted. According to research it isn't easy to pull the wires through to the door because there is an actual plug rather then a wire loom going into the door. I'll definitely have to look into soldering in the rear, another option I found is soldering the wires to the harness behind the headunity which may be a little easier so that If i ever want to put everything back stock, I can with no issue.

Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has info on this let me know!

#4 · (Edited)

My questions are as follows:
1. Is it best to tap into the wires in the trunk or run new wire? My new wire is a much thicker guage then the OEM wires.
3. If I do tap into the wires in the trunk, can I just buy wire taps, or do i need to solder the connections for best sound? I'm looking for something convieniend and not too time consuming if I decide to tap.
4. Has anyone run new speaker wires to the front doors before? How hard is it? ...
My answer for speaker wiring: in short, you don't need to. Put you r money and effort on other components.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=900734&highlight=

#5 ·
I have a steering wheel controller thing that hooked up to my sony HU and it's never worked right. They reprogrammed it a dozen times and, no matter what they do, it still acts up. I have to press volume up to turn it down and track backwards to turn it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.