E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1999 323I Automatic Transmission Problems

33K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  fox123kfoury 
#1 ·
I have been reading a lot on how the E46 automatic trans is no good. I am fearing that maybe mine is going out. Under hard acceleration it makes a funny noise and almost pulses, or hesitates. The check engine light just came on yesterday and recently the exclamation point comes up on the shifter indicator (then goes into limp mode). I had it to a BMW mechanic about a month ago to have the speedo sensor replaced and he cleared all the codes. I dont know anything about BMW so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
-Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No codes, no help, you're asking people to find a needle in a hay stack. The main problem with the automatic tranny is no reverse not what you are describing. Next time it happens have the codes read then I'm sure people will be able to guide you in a better direction.

#5 ·
If you have a 1999 then you most likely have a GM tranny not the ZF with the no reverse problems. They switched from the GM to the ZF on the 323 in mid year 2000 and I think they stayed with GM on the 328s. Call your local BMW dealer and give them the VIN. They can tell you which tranny you have. I have heard the GM was worse than the ZF for everything except the reverse problem... both are ECT so if it not slipping or grinding, it is most likely in the electronics... My ZF slipped in reverse for about a week and then kaput, no reverse...

#9 ·
You probably need a rebuilt tranny. Just make sure you go to a reputable trans shop and get a good warranty. Ask how much more for the "lifetime" warranty. I paid $300 more to get lifetime. Total cost of my rebuilt trans $2,900. No more worries about trans...priceless. :)

#11 ·
Why spend $$$$$ on the toque converter when you get an entire transmission rebuilt (including torque converter) for a little more money. The last thing you want is to fix the torque converter then the solenoids break (one at a time) then valve body goes...etc etc etc....get it all fixed with a good warranty and no more worries. Don't do this piece meal. Please post updates whatever your decision is so we can all learn from this.

#12 ·
By the way this is from experience! My solenoids went and after they replaced it something else broke and my trans guy allowed me to just pay the difference between solenoids and lifetime warranty...total cost $2,900 and peace of mind.

#13 ·
I have the GM transmission (5L40E, aka A5S-360R) sitting on my garage floor while I am replacing the engine out of my '99 323i. Just yesterday, I opened up the trans to replace the filter. Not knowing any history of the car and not even having driven the car yet, I was concerned about what I would find in the pan. What I found was nothing but dark colored fluid and the typical grey "gease" on the magnet. Now, as far as I know, the transmission has 150k miles on it and it seems in good shape. I also replace the input shaft seal, o-ring and gear selector shaft seal (what a PITA to remove!). Also, the transmission did not have any stored faults when I checked before pulling the engine/trans.

Not sure of the point of this post except to maybe indicate that the GM transmission may not be all that bad. I think the durability of automatic transmissions is like most other parts...if you treat them right, they just might last awhile. So, change the fluid, go easy on the high rpm shifts, etc.

What I do know is that many trans shops will not touch the 5L40E so you need to find a specialty trans shop...probably one that is not afraid of the ZF transmissions. Otherwise, replace with used or remanufactured unit.

The symptoms described by the OP indicated torque converter lock-up clutch issues as others have surmised.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the information guys. I had the codes read and it was indicating rapid misfire on all four cylinders. The next day I got in my car the check engine light was off and hasn't come on since. BUT there is still a funny noise under hard acceleration....it honestly sounds like you are spinning your tires in gravel...but your not haha.

#15 ·
I have a bmw e46 323 1999 ,when I start the engine in the morning and I change from park to drive its working very good , but after 1 hour of driving if I pull over and turn off the engine and start again, the gearbox take about 15 seconds to work , so I have to turn it off again And take off the battery cable for about one hour until the gearbox cold again This is a big problem I hope some one help me and tell me what to do and thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.