E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Crankshaft sensor

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  scarface007 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone has done this before and Has pics. I having a really hard time locating the sensor on my 2001 BMW 330I. Please Help I try search but no luck on the location. thanks

#5 · (Edited)
I still having Problem with my car and I really need help. After I install two Crank sensor on my car and it still running bad, hard to start and it sence like it miss firing and when let it set for a while then motor start making click sound , never done it with the old sensor even when the engine light is on.

I got my car dinostic and the code say Crank sensor but no luck.

Engine service light and Traction light and Brake light is on.

Do I have to clear the code to make it run normal again?

Please someone that know HELP:cry:

#7 ·
if you have a missfire and the dme miss reads the engine RPM it will set a crank possition sensor fult . if you dont know what you are doing you need to take it to some one that does . reason im being so harsh is that there is no need to throw parts at the car if you dont knwo whats going on or how the system works . its hard to diagnose a rough start conditon over the internet . i will help you but you need some kind of BMW equipment to see what is going on . but we can start here .

have you done anything to the car lately ?
have you gassed the car up lately ?
give a visual inspection with the plastic covers off ?
if you have a rough iddle you can pin point the cylinder by eliminating coils as the car runs , basically start the car , disconect coil 1 . if the car stumbles and iddles rougher than before its not that one . if it doesnt change the iddle thats the cylinder thats missfiring . if you find it swap coils ,then plugs , and finally injector ( one at a time , with a good cylinder ) .
the CKPS is located on the drivers side of the engine block , you can get to it from the bopttom of the car by the control arm .

if you cant find anything with this , you need to take it to a shop or someone that can read live data as the car runs .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.