E46 Fanatics Forum banner

car popping out of gear

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  FABIO 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Quick question.....my car for the third time today popped out of third gear.....it seems to happen when im decelerating in third at about 1900-2000 rpm.....has anyone experienced this before? my car has a ac schnitzer SSk, so can it be attributed to that perhaps????

thanks in advance!

#5 ·
I'd be somewhat concerned also. It would be worthwhile to get someone who knows the shifter mechanism to look at the SS installation. It's possible it's not installed correctly and is exerting force on the shifter when in 3rd.

As Mark said - it's also possible it's a synchro problem (although those usually exhibit themselves when putting the car into gear, not after it's in gear), or a bent or worn shift fork. In either case - the problem here is there are no parts available for these transmissions.. the fix is to swap it out for a rebuilt one from BMW which is up in the megabucks region.

#6 ·
It could be the synchro's or it can also be the cold weather or may possibly also need a fluid change.

Does this happen mainly when the car is cold?

One other question, may sound stupid but it's possible. Do you keep your hand on the shifter? and are you sure you fully engage it in third gear? This used to happen to me in third as well until i realized then when having it in third gear and hitting the gas i would unconciously be putting slight pressure on the shift lever and made it pop out of gear.

Good luck!

#10 ·
BTW: i traded in my 330 for the M3.

This problem has only happened three times, and you know what I think what FABIO said is quite accurate.....cause all three times after it popped out i realized by hand on the shifter....im hoping this is the problem....since i usually do hold onto the shifter when i shift into third

ALso, another reason i think its the above reason, would be why wouldnt it happen in any other gear and only third???

#7 ·
BTW - your registration lists a 330ci "M Sport" (whatever that is..) if it's a 330ci - it uses a different transmission and I believe parts are available for it. It will probably help if you actually post in the correct forum for your car.. if it isn't an M3 - this isn't where you'll get good answers.

#9 ·
it may be something as simple as Tranny mounts.. did you upgrade those when you put in the SSK?.. it's likely that if you didnt upgrade, they could be indeed causing the problem.. and that'd be an easy fix

-Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.