E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sequential Turn Signal

24K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  dszpeed04 
#1 ·
:idea: Had a problem with my EE (Eagle Eyes) turn signal. Tore it apart, and decided to make them turn on in sequence. Turns out there was a bug in my tail light. Literally a bug; actually a moth to be exact. Don't know how that critter got in there. Did away with him with a vacuum. Finally done, up and running. What do you guys think?

For those who can program the LCM, are there provisions/codes that can lengthen the flash rate? As of now, the car's flash rate is my limiting factor. It has no problem with finishing its sequence, its the hold that won't latch on for long due to the car's own flash rate ending, preventing the microcontroller to finish its routine. If it can be done by programming the LCM's flash rate parameter, that's the route I will take. If not, I shall power the microcontroller on my protoboard independently of the turn signal, allow it to sequence on its own, ignore the second pulse, and go back to main. Well i'm done, beer time.

http://youtu.be/_ejVSrtqAAY

See less See more
#9 ·
I'm currently in prototyping and testing mode. I plan on making pcb boards for the controller needed to sequence the lights. As of now the protoboard fits inside a credit card sized plastic box, which I will pot to shield it way from the environment. I want to shrink its footprint down to size, add a jumper so the user will be able to switch from sequence mode to full on (stock) mode, add ribbon connects so that removing said controller simple for repairs a snap.

Now different company (eagle eyes, depo, etc ...) uses different LEDS in there lights which makes identifying the LEDs' properties mandatory. Also their array are set up differently. The array of turn pcb has to be modified. As you can tell, traces were cut, while others were made, surface mount transistors were overridden, and individual connection wires were soldered in. I plan on releasing a board for those with soldering/electronic's skill. I also plan on doing the retro for others who don't want to bother cutting up their lights.

#12 ·
Very Nice

#14 ·
I think I have it, had to revisit an old forum. As the cap discharge it'll give enough time to finish sequencing and hold. The cap should keep the relay charged enough to hold. Plus i don't have to have the micro controller powered on forever. Pin 30 goes to the control box, then to the mc, then to the array.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.