E46 Fanatics Forum banner

help taking off lower radiator hose

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GTUnit 
#1 ·
how do we take off the lower radiator hose? mine has a small leak and i need to replace it i bought a new lower radiator hose and temp sensor thnx in advance :hi:

#2 ·
yeah, it's a b!tch to work on. It's pretty straight forward except the hose is stuck and the tight space to work on.

The hard part for me are:
1. Trying to disconnect the hose from the radiator.
2. Putting back the hose to the thermostat.

If I would do it again, I would remove fan shroud to remove the thermostat housing to get to disconnect hose.

Then have patient to remove the lower part. I used screwdrivers wedge it out(I don't know if it's easier to try to cut the connect without damaging the radiator part).

Connect the new hose with the thermostat, put back the thermostat then the connect the radiator part. Finally, put back the shroud, sensor, wiring etc...

Maybe others have a better method then mine...

#6 ·
I recently replaced my thermostat and hoses and the lower hose definitely gave me the most problems. After a few hours of struggling to no avail i finally broke out the Dremel tool and very very carefully ground away at the hose coupling until I removed enough material so that I could insert a big blade screwdriver in the slot. I then twisted it and was able to crack the hose coupling away from the radiator. Not something i would recommend doing but i was kinda outta ideas outside of removing the radiator.

#8 ·
Radiator hoses are a *****.
TWIST the hose first. Don't just try to pull it off.
You twist it to break the "bond" or "seal". Once its broken loose it is much easier to pull back and off.
Twist from side to side (shimmy) while pulling back to get it off after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.