E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Solved engine codes: P0170,P0173,P1188,P1189

126K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  gon2srf 
#1 ·
Well I've had these codes for an year, I finally solved it.
P0170,P0173, P1188,P1189 they are all related to fuel system.

So I thought the problem was somewhere in fuel system, so I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, used seafoam, fuel system cleaner but nothing solved the problem.

Last week I finally replaced crankcase vent hose(part# 11611432559) with my friend's help, and surprise surprise. Codes never came back after I replaced it. I never thought it was the source of the problem!

I wanted to know why, so did some digging then I found this article.
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-e46-fault-codes-p-1188-p1189-p0170-p-0173-m52tu-m54

Too bad they didnt post this article sooner lol

Anyway, for those who's suffering from those codes, see if there's a leak from crankcase vent system. If one of the hoses are damaged, replace it asap.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM33&mospid=47709&btnr=11_2194&hg=11&fg=15
USually lots of people damage #2 hose during the engine work, that's what I replaced too.

Hope this tip was useful :clap:

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm glad it was helpful to you :bow:

Well I have no knowledge of CCV system, but as far as I know it circulates the engine oil..I'm going to look into this system someday

did you have any noise coming from the area like it was sucking air or air leak?
Yes I've had some weird noise. It's hard to explain, whenever rpm reaches 3-4k, it used to make some noise like old truck(not the loud exhaust)..Probably caused by sucking air or leaking air from broken part of CCV hose.

#16 ·
I had the same 4 codes for my 97 BMW 528i - P0173, P0170, P1189, P1188, my smok check failed big time because of this.

And this was the problem, it was a oil intake hose that was broken that connects to the base of the oil dip stick. Reach along the whole length of the hose, mine was not visible from the top of the engine like the one depicted in the pictures at this link

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

Picture of hoses - mine was hose 4
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM33&mospid=47709&btnr=11_2194&hg=11&fg=15

As a second option:

Some say this boot can cause the same set of error codes although mine didn't have this problem.

http://blog.bavauto.com/5960/bmw-e46-fault-codes-p-1188-p1189-p0170-p-0173-m52tu-m54/

or

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799653

#17 · (Edited)
Rough idle and OBD codes after cooling system overhaul

My first post here on the forum so I am hoping I follow protocol and it goes well. I am not starting a new thread based on what I have read on the FAQ's, I am sure I will soon find out if this is preferred. :p

Briefly I am a DIY type of person doing my own engine rebuilds and fabrication mainly on Toyota trucks old and new, vintage VW's and Corvairs. Also do some home construction, plumbing and electrical and find with patience and others wisdom I can solve most problems without the cost of a professional.

I bought my daughter a nice looking, high mileage 2001 323i wagon last year. It started running warmer and blew an upper hose recently. Being 19 and not really thinking she drove it back home several miles with the temp gauge more than likely pinned but to my surprise she made it back without blowing the motor.

After changing the oil and filter, I purchased a cooling system kit from Bavarian Autosport and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank and sensors. Also picked up the Bentley manual.

The install went well and the car drove great on the test run, the temps look great.

Next day by daughter takes it for a spin and comes back saying it is stalling and idling terribly.

My Scangauge pulls OBD codes P0170,P0173, P1188, P1189 and P1250.

I have read several threads on the cause and effect of the these codes but I have not found if these codes can be triggered by a bad plug/coil?

If so should I check those first or should I go straight for a smoke/pressure/vacuum/MAF test, it's likely there was something or I likely cracked or broke during the cooling system overhaul?

Saw the following in this thread and found it very interesting and the reason I posted here. Thanks so much.

Finally solved engine code issue..P0170,P0173,P1188,P1189
Well I've had these codes for an year, I finally solved it.
P0170,P0173, P1188,P1189 they are all related to fuel system.

So I thought the problem was somewhere in fuel system, so I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, used seafoam, fuel system cleaner but nothing solved the problem.

Last week I finally replaced crankcase vent hose(part# 11611432559) with my friend's help, and surprise surprise. Codes never came back after I replaced it. I never thought it was the source of the problem!

I wanted to know why, so did some digging then I found this article.
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/bmw-...0173-m52tu-m54

Too bad they didnt post this article sooner lol

Anyway, for those who's suffering from those codes, see if there's a leak from crankcase vent system. If one of the hoses are damaged, replace it asap.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=11&fg=15
USually lots of people damage #2 hose during the engine work, that's what I replaced too.

Hope this tip was useful

#19 ·
I bought my daughter a nice looking, high mileage 2001 323i wagon last year. It started running warmer and blew an upper hose recently. Being 19 and not really thinking she drove it back home several miles with the temp gauge more than likely pinned but to my surprise she made it back without blowing the motor.

After changing the oil and filter, I purchased a cooling system kit from Bavarian Autosport and replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, expansion tank and sensors. Also picked up the Bentley manual.

The install went well and the car drove great on the test run, the temps look great.

Next day by daughter takes it for a spin and comes back saying it is stalling and idling terribly.

My Scangauge pulls OBD codes P0170,P0173, P1188, P1189 and P1250.

I have read several threads on the cause and effect of the these codes but I have not found if these codes can be triggered by a bad plug/coil?

If so should I check those first or should I go straight for a smoke/pressure/vacuum/MAF test, it's likely there was something or I likely cracked or broke during the cooling system overhaul?

Saw the following in this thread and found it very interesting and the reason I posted here. Thanks so much.
Wow, that was a close call, overheating could've ruined the engine!

As far as the codes, I would replace the CCV system, it's a common problem and it's probably original.

#18 ·
You should also read the first 2 links below in my signature, covers some very common problems.

Check the Long Term Fuel Trims at both warm idle and steady cruise between 45-60 MPH.

They typically should run between 0% and +2.5%, anything above +2.5% should be checked into, anything above about +10% will trigger lean codes.

#22 · (Edited)
How did you verify the head gasket is good? What happens here most of the time here is that someone overheats and then replaces the cooling system as you did. Then they come back and their car doesn't run right but it ran fine before the overheat. Well, that's probably a head gasket leak.

You don't have misfires though, so maybe it's not. It would be easy to break a hose and cause a vacuum leak during the cooling replacements.

#23 ·
WDE46-

I may have an obvious head gasket leak, not sure how to verify that please elaborate if possible? BTW I actually had the head gasket replaced several months ago due to an oil leak but that was before the overheating episode.

So to recap:

Car overheats due to ??, blows an upper hose and my daughter drives it home a few miles with the engine possibly very very hot but it does not seize.

I replace the upper hose and it still runs hot so I proceed to replace the complete cooling. Test drive feels great, perfect temps, plenty of zip in the motor and idles great.

Following day daughter drives car and returns complaining of rough idle and stalling.

Codes pulled P0170,P0173, P1188, P1189 and P1250.

Car idles badly even after warm up and feels sluggish. I don't hear any misfiring but I will listen closer and post up.

To me it feels likes it running on less than 6 cylinders but I don't know what computers do these day to protect and engine

I am going to replace plugs today and check coils and will post up any new news.

#24 ·
If it was misfiring, the computer would tell you. It'll also blink the SES light when it detects one.

It probably overheated after the hose replacement because you didn't bleed the coolant well enough. Happens all the time to anyone who does cooling system work on this car the first time.

The rough running just comes at such a bad time. Those codes don't look like HG failure, but the way you describe your daughter driving the car while overheated makes me think there is no way the HG is good still.

Use typical HG diagnosis methods: oil in coolant? coolant in oil? compression test results? etc.

#25 ·
I am not thinking these issues are nothing more than lean problems at this point.

I have to run so I did not re-read everything from the beginning.

What I would like to see is the Long Term Fuel Trims at both idle and 45-60 MPH cruise, Freeze Frame Data and the only code that is even peaking my interest is the P1250.

You may have a fuel pump failing.

Check the 2nd link below in my signature closely, make sure you check the in take fuel levels with the Hidden OBC Menu and if the problem is happening around 1/4 tank, fuel pump is likely your problem.

Keep the tank not lower than 1/2 full and and see if the problem does not happen for a while.

#28 · (Edited)
I am using a non BMW OBD computer so I will have to look into picking up a BMW compliant gauge as I must assume I will not see these fuel trim figures with my Scangauge. I will fill the tank this evening to see if there is any pressure correction thanks.

I hope JFOJ is right.

I should reiterate, the only reason I'm saying HG is because you overheated for an extended period of time.
If it was misfiring, the computer would tell you. It'll also blink the SES light when it detects one.

It probably overheated after the hose replacement because you didn't bleed the coolant well enough. Happens all the time to anyone who does cooling system work on this car the first time.

The rough running just comes at such a bad time. Those codes don't look like HG failure, but the way you describe your daughter driving the car while overheated makes me think there is no way the HG is good still.

Use typical HG diagnosis methods: oil in coolant? coolant in oil? compression test results? etc.
You are correct about bleeding the cooling system the first time around, guilty as charged. :shhh: Will do a compression check while the plugs are out tomorrow.

Thanks

#27 · (Edited)
I can't seem to find a good description of the BMW P1250 code in the Bentley manuals. I even pulled my E39 manual to check just in case Bentley left something out.

No luck, however, Internet searching seems to imply that P1250 has something to do with a Fuel Pressure Regulator Circuit. You have a 323 and it may have the 3/2 valve and I recall there is a solenoid or valve that can be triggered to boost fuel pressure momentarily to help identify fuel pressure issues while misfiring if I recall what I read properly.

I recently happened on to some good info about the fuel systems and cannot put my fingers back on it at the moment.

Your 323 probably has a more complex fuel pressure and fuel tank leakage detection system compared to the later model cars.

You have lean codes and this P1250 code may have something to do with fuel pressure, so I would say you have some form of fuel delivery/supply issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.