E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Question about turbo on a 99 323i

17K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  rfier 
#1 · (Edited)
is the engine on the 99 323i e46 strong enough to handle a small turbo kit or do i need new pistons and all that **** first?

#6 ·
You can stroke the m52tu25 block in your 323i with the m54b30's forged crank, rods, & pistons. All the blocks in the e46 3 series, except m3, have a 84mm bore. The head is the same as well so you could cam it with a ZHP cam or stay with the regular 3.0 cam. I hear there is a sacrifice in the low end with ZHP cams so they could extend the high end performance to give you more of an 'm3 feel' on the acceleration. After you have updated your engine to 3.0 status you can blow it with a Technique Tuning Stage 1 or Stage 2 Turbo kits and run about 320-374 RWHP with just a new head gasket (compression) and 140 studs. Check it out on youtube. There is a TT Stage 1 330i running 12.8 in the 1/4 mile.

#7 ·
okay how did i miss this! First of all i have done exactly what you are asking. Check out my build thread bt searching my name in forced induction forum! Short story is yes you can without touching the engine do not i repeat do not go above 8psi max! You will need some sort of engine management. How much power are you looking to get? PM any questions and i will do my best to help you.

#9 · (Edited)
honestly rignt now i would be happy with a good 300 rwhp with all my mods together and i was told the best way to get there from 170-180 is a "small" turbo but i was also told "only if my engine internals are forged" so i was wondering ... knowing that they are not if i will damage my engine if i got a small turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.