E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
GusXI

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to GusXI
Ebay headers for e46 323i

Hello everyone! Just to let you know I DID search and read up on the header posts on this forum and they were very helpful, especially the defouler mod and kpeng's thread. However, I'm having trouble finding headers that look promising since there is only one type listed for a e46 323i on ebay. I saw someone ask if there were any other headers that are listed for e36 or other e46 models that would bolt on with minor to no modification but no one really answered him, so now I'm asking. I plan to do this install at home w/ help of father. Hopefully w/o undoing motor mounts on manifold side, but I think I will have to.

Also, anyone have any comments on what headers to custom straight pipes to flowmaster 40 will sound like? I was thinking this setup or custom straight piping to a rouge dms or uuc tse.
other exhaust setup ideas welcome (I want it lound and obnoxious, sorry)

CAR- 2000 323i

Thanks for the help guys
GusXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46 M3 & E46 323i
Just stay away from those 2-piece headers on ebay. Make sure you are buying the supersprint replicas that look like this below ...

As well, make sure the seller knows the difference between 323/328 headers and 325/330 headers (the length issue). You will also most undoubtedly need to undo the passenger side engine mount to get the oem manifold out as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3738_edited.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	280558  
Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
GusXI

I agree w/ the one piece header setup. Thats why i haven't ordered the ones on ebay that are listed for my model car. The two main problems are the 4 piece setup and only two oxygen sensor slots instead of 4. (sorry forgot proper name)

oh and i dont want my car to sound like a dam honda w/ a fart can as most all of us on these forums despise.
still wondering if the e36 model headers will fit on the e46
thanks for the info guys
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
ALPIN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusXI View Post
oh and i dont want my car to sound like a dam honda w/ a fart can as most all of us on these forums despise.
Nah...headers on the e46 really open up the low end rumble at idle...maybe just a bit raspy up top, but nothing like a hinda with a fart can...sounds much more "muscular" than that.

Quote:
thanks for the info guys
They will only mount up top and a custom pipe setup would need to be fabricated to pull it off at the bottom. For the e46, the cheapest and best bet really is the SS replicas.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Salio23

My Ride: 1999 323i,2000CLK430
Alpin 3 :

Did you paint your roof black???
Old 08-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Twin_Guns18

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusXI View Post
I agree w/ the one piece header setup. Thats why i haven't ordered the ones on ebay that are listed for my model car. The two main problems are the 4 piece setup and only two oxygen sensor slots instead of 4. (sorry forgot proper name)

thanks for the info guys
The e36 headers will not fit on an e46. They have a different number of o2 sensors.

The popular sellers on ebay are out of the 323/328 headers. I've spoken all of them on a weekly basis and they said they are not sure when, if ever they will be getting more. The suplier or factory that makes them stopped making them and hasn't yet told them if they will be producing them again.
Twin_Guns18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
KriTiKaL AspecT

My Ride: 2001 AW 330Ci
I ordered form dpt motorsport the first time and recieved 323's. My cousin has a 323 so we put them on his car. This is despite the fact that I compared the angle of the flange in the product pic to one I had of a 330 header and it matched. I had to get the 330's from trader nas as dpt told me that all the ones he had are the same ( that was a 330 pic he has on display for sure). Most of these sellers don't know what they have (and yes I recieved 323 when there were supposably none available). If you get the wrong one all you have to do is go to a muff shop and get him to cut and rotate the flange on your header back pipe. So you may just have to bite the bullet and hope you get the correct ones.

Remember to get OEM gaskets at both flanges!

Headers - KW V2 - Hotchkis Sways - 55w 6000k HID - 35w 6000k HID fogs
EVO 3 SSK mit ein DSSR - EE Tails - Meyle LCA, FCAB, & RTAB w/ Rogue Limiters - M3 Mounts ....

-Paul   BSME           
ASME & SAE Member

KriTiKaL AspecT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
ALPIN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salio23 View Post
Alpin 3 :

Did you paint your roof black???
Yes.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
GusXI

Dam! That really sucks. Twin guns is most likley right because i haven't seen any on ebay for months that are listed to fit my car except these stupid things:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-....c0.m245.l1318

Taking a second look at Kpeng's ebay headers thread it appears that the 325i/330i headers will fit on the 323i/328i with the exception of the flanges that bolt on to the exhaust(sorry i didn't read carefully enough the first time) This will hopefully not be an issue since I'm getting custom exhaust piped headers back...hopefully they can take the flanges off the stock exhaust and position them at the correct rotation to fit the headers. Or else they may have to order new flanges for the headers and exhaust since they can't order bmw sizes (i think thats what muffler guy said)...this leads me to two new questions:
Will the flanges off of the 325i/330i headers match the flanges on the stock exhaust if they were cut off and repositioned with the bolt holes lining up.

And could someone please reconfirm that the 325i/330i headers will bolt on to the 323i block and find its way down without interfering with any other components that will have to be moved. (my dad will kill me if i order headers that don't fit)

IF i could use the stock flanges or order new ones...here would be my course of action:
1 Install the headers and remove stock exhaust myself
2 Drive to muffler shop 40 miles away (and piss off everyone from my neighborhood to there w/ the open headers) and have them fabricate and install the custom piping and muffler of my liking by cutting off the old flanges and putting them on the new exhaust system.

Thanks again for all the info you guys have been a great help to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #10
KriTiKaL AspecT

they will there will be no prob.if your getting custom exhaust. just know that they won't initially bolt to your stock exhaust. I believe I stated this in my previous post.

The only difference between the two is a 330/325 is longer maybe and inch. And the exhaust flange is rotated about 45 degrees.

EVO 3 SSK mit ein DSSR - EE Tails - Meyle LCA, FCAB, & RTAB w/ Rogue Limiters - M3 Mounts ....

-Paul   BSME           
ASME & SAE Member

Last edited by KriTiKaL AspecT; 08-06-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
GusXI

oh lol sorry I didn't refresh page this is great news thanks a million you guys
Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
KriTiKaL AspecT

No prob my man

any ? fell free to PM done this many times.

Beware tho with the custom exhaust .... headers with my stock system is how I run and I think it is perfect tone and loudness. These things can make your very very loud with some setups.

Also....you will sacrifice some bottom end torque for the improved topend hp (this is where we race at lol so its a good thing) but daily driving may become more difficult. My 330 has lost some bottom and with a 323 it may be unbareable. A quick fix will be a bigger differential ratio. My cousin already had one and he says its perfect. If I had a 323 i'd look into it. Very easy mod and worth every penny!

-Paul   BSME           
ASME & SAE Member

Tags
323i, headers