E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
musicvibe

My Ride: 325i
Unhappy Engine (e46) will not start, please help.

My first problem is the moonroof not closing. Whenever I press the close button it closes then retracts as if something is blocking it but I've checked and nothing. So right now, the moonroof is open and I tried parking the car in the garage but the engine won't start, rather it's just two loud clicks. Maybe it's because the moonroof is still open? I don't know what to do.
musicvibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
CaveDweller

My Ride: '04 325 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvibe
My first problem is the moonroof not closing. Whenever I press the close button it closes then retracts as if something is blocking it but I've checked and nothing. So right now, the moonroof is open and I tried parking the car in the garage but the engine won't start, rather it's just two loud clicks. Maybe it's because the moonroof is still open? I don't know what to do.
How's the battery doing? Does the stereo work?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
musicvibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller
How's the battery doing? Does the stereo work?

the battery is perfect as well as the stereo. any suggestions would be of great help. thanks for your reply.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
323iT

My Ride: AG 323i
Send a message via AIM to 323iT
hmm i thought your batter is dead...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
ky!

My Ride: awhiteysedan
auto? check if its in drive
Old 05-11-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
CaveDweller

My Ride: '04 325 CiC
Quote:
the battery is perfect as well as the stereo. any suggestions would be of great help. thanks for your reply.
I only asked about the stereo because a low battery will degrade its sound quality. It seriously sounds like a power issue and the first place to start is the battery.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:10 PM   #7
Derek_325Ci

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
If it is a 2004 there is a recall. I have a 325 coupe so I dont know if the recall includes sedans as well. The recall has something to do with the battery going dead so if your car is a 2004 there is a good chance this is whats causing it.
Derek_325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
musicvibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_325Ci
If it is a 2004 there is a recall. I have a 325 coupe so I dont know if the recall includes sedans as well. The recall has something to do with the battery going dead so if your car is a 2004 there is a good chance this is whats causing it.
i wish! but it's an '01. the stereo, the lights and everything else works perfect including the power windows. it's just the sunroof and the engine being a pain even though there is power, should i still use a jumper cable?
Old 05-12-2004, 12:34 AM   #9
braymond141

My Ride: 96 M3, 98 M3, 01 M5
Quote:
i wish! but it's an '01. the stereo, the lights and everything else works perfect including the power windows. it's just the sunroof and the engine being a pain even though there is power, should i still use a jumper cable?

Jump it. Everything worked perfect in my 330 when the battery died, cept it wouldn't start.

-Brett

Central California BMW Parts Swap
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526941747526167/
braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Jump it....everything else uses a fraction of the power compared to the starter.

The sun roof will probably require a new cassette.

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #11
musicvibe

Ok, we finally closed the sunroof manually and yeah we did jump it and it started. i'm just going to go to a bmw dealership and have them look at my sunroof because i'm afraid to touch that button and open it myself. thank you guys for your help!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:43 PM   #12
CptPinoy

My Ride: 2002 SG M3
Question for you guys

I have a manual car and sometimes it does this. The car wont start but stereo and everything else is fine. I do depress the clutch all the way down prior to turning the key. The engine just wont start. It would do this randomly. Would this be a battery problem?

FYI, I did take it to the dealers and they gave me the famous "we cant duplicate it" comment. Any help is appreciated.
CptPinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
323ciGuy

My Ride: A BMW
Send a message via AIM to 323ciGuy
1) Sun Roof: The same thing happened to me. I would have to help it out manually (guide it along). Brought it back to the dealership and they put a new motor in. Now it works fine. (covered under warranty)

2) Engine won't start: How often do you rotate your keys? If that battery goes dead in your key, I don't think your car will start because of the chip. I was told by BMW to rotate them every year so they can keep a charge by the ignition. But this could be SO many different things, just trying to cover the most obvious.