E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Carlova78

My Ride: 2001 325i
Clutch Fan is loud!

We got a 2001 325i that sounds like a 16-wheeler in low gears.(automatic)
My old nissan use to sound like this too because the fan was too tight?

Is this normal?
Carlova78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Yes.
//TRD power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
It's the aux fan right behind the bumper.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Carlova78

man its annoying lol. i thought the car was lagging since i couldnt even hear the engine rev.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

That's why I swapped to an electric fan. Noise gone, drag on engine gone, easier to take out the fan and the car is more responsive.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Carlova78

the aux fan is the clutch fan correct? what type of elec fan do you have
Old 06-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
gellpak

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I have a 330i that's the same... the fan is loud as hell, even just at idle in park. Same problem? A recommendation for an electric replacement fan would be awesome.
gellpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellpak View Post
I have a 330i that's the same... the fan is loud as hell, even just at idle in park. Same problem? A recommendation for an electric replacement fan would be awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlova78 View Post
the aux fan is the clutch fan correct? what type of elec fan do you have
I had the aux fan (behind the bumper, front of radiator) that makes the truck sound.

Then you have the mechanical fan which is on the water pump. That one is known to fails and the blades blow up.

What I did is I bought a new Behr OEM electric fan, took the other two fans out and this one slides in right on the radiator between the engine.

Now the truck sound is gone, no worrying about the fan blades exploding and breaking stuff (happened twice to me, second time dented my hood and broke my radiator) and it's much much much easier to slide out to work on the engine.

Search "kpeng electric fan" and you will find it.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Eric Giles

Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I had the aux fan (behind the bumper, front of radiator) that makes the truck sound.

Then you have the mechanical fan which is on the water pump. That one is known to fails and the blades blow up.

What I did is I bought a new Behr OEM electric fan, took the other two fans out and this one slides in right on the radiator between the engine.

Now the truck sound is gone, no worrying about the fan blades exploding and breaking stuff (happened twice to me, second time dented my hood and broke my radiator) and it's much much much easier to slide out to work on the engine.

Wouldn't removal of the auxiliary fan that sits in front of the A/C condenser negatively impact the cooling of the A/C system, especially at idle?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Then why do manual cars not overheat?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Eric Giles

Quote:
Then why do manual cars not overheat?
My question has nothing to do with overheating. You mentioned that you removed not only the mechanical fan/fan clutch attached to the water pump, but also the electric auxiliary fan that sits in front of the A/C condenser. As you know, that fan turns on when you turn on the A/C. It's function is to push air through the A/C condenser coils, helping to cool the refrigerant in the system and in turn allowing the A/C system to blow colder air at idle and lower road speeds.

When the auxiliary fan fails, the first thing you notice is less cooling capability from the A/C while at idle or at slow speeds. At highway speeds, the air is naturally forced through the condenser allowing the system to cool properly.

I understand that manual transmission cars don't have the mechanical fan/fan clutch, but all E46's have the electric auxiliary fan for proper A/C function.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

No, manual cars have only ONE fan which is the electric one behind the radiator, the auto's have the mechanical fan and the aux fan. I don't see the manual cars having problems, or if they do it's the same thing as automatic cars with both fans.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Eric Giles

Quote:
No, manual cars have only ONE fan which is the electric one behind the radiator, the auto's have the mechanical fan and the aux fan. I don't see the manual cars having problems, or if they do it's the same thing as automatic cars with both fans.
Although I knew about the mechanical fan only on automatic equipped cars, I was just under the impression that all E46's still had the auxiliary, or pusher, fan installed. This is my 4th E46 I have owned, but the first three were bought new and were always under warranty so I never really noticed the fan configuration. By looking at the previously mentioned electric fan thread, I see that it is of sufficient size to pull enough air through the condenser and the radiator. Thanks for the clarification-I still learn something new everyday!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Glad you learned something.

Although I have seen a few manual/SMG M3's with the two fan setup for some reason.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
Carlova78

my manual 530i has a clutch fan? i think
Old 06-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
Quote:

I'm sorry mate but I am 100% positive that the clutch fan is responsible for the "truck" sound. I know, I have one too, even if my car is a manual.
It goes on at startup for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then keeps quiet until temp in engine bay rises, then... truck sound.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Nope, the fan clutch on the mechanical fan prevents it from rotating more than 3000 RPM, if not it will break. That's why a clutch that fails allows the fan assembly to rotate the same speed as the engine/water pump
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #18
azblkonblk

My Ride: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giles View Post
My question has nothing to do with overheating. You mentioned that you removed not only the mechanical fan/fan clutch attached to the water pump, but also the electric auxiliary fan that sits in front of the A/C condenser. As you know, that fan turns on when you turn on the A/C. It's function is to push air through the A/C condenser coils, helping to cool the refrigerant in the system and in turn allowing the A/C system to blow colder air at idle and lower road speeds.

When the auxiliary fan fails, the first thing you notice is less cooling capability from the A/C while at idle or at slow speeds. At highway speeds, the air is naturally forced through the condenser allowing the system to cool properly.

I understand that manual transmission cars don't have the mechanical fan/fan clutch, but all E46's have the electric auxiliary fan for proper A/C function.
For this very reason, I opted to NOT go with the oem electric puller fan. Instead, I kept my aux pusher fan and deleted my clutch fan using a Spal 16inch puller 2360CFM model. With a few modifications I was able to reuse the stock shroud which kept it pretty much stock looking. I believe manual e46's came with only one puller and it cools just fine. Here in Phoenix it gets to 110+ normally and with my current setup, the a/c blows frost bite cold very quick. The stock clutch fan took much longer to get the a/c cold and never got it as cold. I could only imagine how much worst it would be if I removed the a/c aux fan relying on a single puller behind the radiator.
azblkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #19
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
i want to swap mine to electrical also..
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizwan1377 View Post
i want to swap mine to electrical also..
There is a great DIY out there on how to do it. You just order the single part number (fan). Remove a few parts, install new fan. Very simple. I did it, and even with it ~100 here lately, I havn't had any problems.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote