E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
panzerjp

My Ride: `74 2002 `03 M3
Question Dangers of Never Perform a Valve Adjustment?

Hello everybody.

@ 40K, It seems like my American version 2003 M3 has reached the point where a valve adjustment calls in (Im out of the USA and out of warranty).

Around here (The Dominican Republic) has been very difficult to find a mechanic qualified for the job and going to the dealer will cost me and arm and a leg (they charge 500 USD just for an oil change!!!! )).

I was wondering, what could happen if I decide not to perform a valve adjustment? Am I risking the life of my beloved M3 engine?

Any input is greatly welcomed and thanks in advance.
panzerjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
You can find a DIY and try that yourself.

I wouldn't suggest going on without performing an adjustment that is so important.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
pmoneyblass

My Ride: M3
You could do it yourself just take your time and get the right tools. Do you live in the dominican...

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp
Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
If you have never performed the job, it still can be quite tricky. But the best option is to order

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

You may need more than a handful of shims replaced if they have never been adjusted. The kit will have more than enough as some valve adjustments require only replacing 2 or 3.

But once you have the kit, you will be able to service your car for the entire life of the car, or do adjustments for others. That is the most affordable ways and there are many DIY on the internet.

Truly the adjustments depends on the way you drive. @ 20k intervals the good people at Mshops have seen cars which require zero adjustments. The shop recommends atmost 50k before you need major adjustments. This will efffect your performance and fuel economy and all around sluggishness.

I only recommend doing A DIY if you have lots of time, and mechanically inclined . The car needs to be cold and it may take more than a few hours or day for first timers.
Dont forget to get the gasket as listed in the bottom of the link above and good luck. @ 40 you should be okay. but make it a mandatory thing by 50.

And if the valves were never adjusted before during inspection 1, I do recommend getting them done by the time it hits 50k.

And no it wont blow up, it will just make strange noises and run sloppy.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
pmoneyblass

Im asking because I'm planning to move down there and help my dad run the family business and taking my m3 with me and I would like to know how are the fanatics over there.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
Mach had is right.

Won't blow up your engine, but it won't run to it's full potential though..
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
jav

My Ride: '03 M3 - Imola/blk
To answer your question- if you don't perform a valve adjustment, the clearance between the cam lobes and the valves (through the rockers and shims) can change over time. It happens slowly but it does happen.

If the clearance increases a little, you could get some valve noise... if it increases a lot- you may get accelerated wear and/or component failure.

If the clearance decreases a little, you likely won't notice any symptoms... if it decreases a lot- you could lose compression and even burn out a valve.

In a perfect world, there's a very good chance our engines could go 150,000 miles and never see any consequence of never doing a valve adjustment. But in the real world, a car with 30,000 miles (or less) may develop clearance issues on one or more valves. The safe and recommended approach is to check them regularly and adjust as needed which might mean at every check, you adjust.... just as easily as it could mean you could check 5 times and never "need" an adjustment.

I agree with the others though- this is something you should do yourself as it's nearly impossible to confirm IF this expensive service was really done if you don't witness it.

Last edited by jav; 01-19-2011 at 09:29 PM.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
04yfz

My Ride: A car
It's an easy job if you're mechanically inclined IMO, just a bit time consuming. But the actual work is very basic.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
uvoo114

Just follow the diy and take your time. The 1st time I did it, it took me 10 hours but that's including many trips to the dealer and parts store to buy tools that I didn't have. The consuming part about the valve adjustment is trying to take apart all the things but once it's in the engine it is pretty easy to replace the shims. You will feel very satisfying when you measure an out of specs valve because of all the time that you put in getting to them. I am not a mechanically incline guy and the most that I did before was changing my own engine oil. My advice is to read the diy and members' advice carefully a few times and just follow the steps as you go. It is pretty basic thing to do but it's just time consuming. Good luck and here is the diy link that I followed when I do my valve adjustment.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=113415
uvoo114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #10
panzerjp

Thumbs Up WoW...Many Thanks!!!!

Many Thanks Guys!!!!!....This Forum is awesome....Im not mechanically inclined but with the info found on the DIY and a mechanically inclined friend, I think we will be up to the task.

Again Many Thanks, If anyone plans to come to the Dominican Republic, please let me know and I can help you out with your visit.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
panzerjp

Thumbs Up Lots of Bimmerheads around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoneyblass View Post
Im asking because I'm planning to move down there and help my dad run the family business and taking my m3 with me and I would like to know how are the fanatics over there.

Around here there are lots of BMW fanatics (count me as one!!!! I have a M3 here and a 1974 2002 in my hometown "El Salvador")...I could even introduce you to some of them.

Just Let me know.

Again, many thanks to you all!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
Gam3R

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerjp View Post
Many Thanks Guys!!!!!....This Forum is awesome....Im not mechanically inclined but with the info found on the DIY and a mechanically inclined friend, I think we will be up to the task.
I am grabbing my friend who is a mechanic to help me with my valve adjustment. I was going to have the BMW dealer do it, but not being able to prove that they did it and all the help on these forums. I am going to do it myself.

I think you're making a sound decision.
GL and let us know how it goes!
Gam3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
The first time I do my valve adjustment, I too am doing with another fanatic who offered to help me, since he has of course down the procedure several times. Looking forward to learning it myself
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
bimmerboi19

My Ride: 05 M3 ZCP
my friend had 100k without a valve adjustment and it ran strong.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
magnetic1

My Ride: MysticPair
u can burn up the valves in the worse case scenario.

I have a new kit/tool for sale: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=817684
2004 Mystic Blue #121 NASA GTS3 Racecar
2003.5 Mystic Blue Street Car
magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #16
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have several options available below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
04yfz

My Ride: A car
The most important valve adjustments is the first one since thats when you'll usually have to replace the most shims due to everything wearing in since new. After that you'll probably only have to replace a couple shims the next few times, and they likely won't be out of spec much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboi19 View Post
my friend had 100k without a valve adjustment and it ran strong.
Your friend needs a new car if can't afford a valve adjustment.