E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
heinrict

My Ride: 2001 325I
Car smokes when started

My 01 325 smokes after it is started. Here's the rub! It is intermittant. It smokes badly maybe once e week. I never know when it is going to happen. The car has 100k. (items i replaced recently)I removed the DISA and there is some oil in the intake but not much. I had a vacuum leak, replaced line to CCV or PCV. Don't quite know which one it was. Replaced oil filter housing seal. Change plugs. They were well worn. Fuel milage has dropped off even with plug replacement. This smoke has stumped me. Any ideas???
heinrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
viceversa

My Ride: 2004 325i
Questions -

What color is the smoke (blue smoke usually means burning oil)
What does the smoke smell like (sweet smell usually =s antifreeze, burning rubber = something burning/leaning against a hot metal part)

Can you find where the smoke originates from?
OP: I am sure your English Writing teacher told you this every year, regardless of who s/he was: writing is important. Others will either respect you or ignore you or piss on you if you type like a moron. This isn't an instant message site; it's a forum. We aren't texting each other right now. We are typing messages. Type regular English and people are more likely to respond.
viceversa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
did u change the valve cover gasket
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
heinrict

The smoke does not smell like anything. Not antifreeze- not using any. Oil! Maybe a little but this happens so infrequently I am totally stumped. It is certainly comming out the exhaust. When I start the car and the smoke appears, It appears heavy like I cannot see out of my garage till it clears. Could it be a sticking valve guide??
Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Smoke coming out of the exhaust can mean only 1 of 2 things. Either you're burning oil or you're burning coolant. Is the smoke white or blue in color? If white, coolant. If blue, oil. Chas

Last edited by ChasCan; 04-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
White, whispy "smoke" on a cold startup is condensation that's inside the exhaust system. It is normal. Sometimes you can observe water droplets from the tail pipe on cold startup, this too is normal.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrict View Post
It appears heavy like I cannot see out of my garage till it clears. Could it be a sticking valve guide??
Much more than the normal exhaust condensation that appears on regular start up. This type of smoke will not cloud up so badly that you cannot see out of your garage. Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
heinrict

OK. Smoked heavily again apon startup after 3 weeks of normal starting. I got out of the car and smelled the smoke. Does not smell like anything. Occasionally when the car is started, it runs rough for just a few seconds but never any smoke. Any ideas??
Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Smoke coming out of the exhaust can mean only 1 of 2 things. Either you're burning oil or you're burning coolant. Is the smoke white or blue in color? If white, coolant. If blue, oil. Chas
White can also be caused by a stuck injector pouring fuel in.
2006 Suzuki GSXR750
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
heinrict

Wouldn't I smell a strong odor of unburnt fuel in that case?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
Quote:
Wouldn't I smell a strong odor of unburnt fuel in that case?
Yeah, definitely. I was more adding on to what he said.

Does it only smoke after sitting for a while or overnight?
2006 Suzuki GSXR750
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Renboy

My Ride: 04 330Ci '08 Daytona
If the smoke only occurs after start up, then it's almost always a worn valve guide. Very cheap part, pretty expensive labour.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
My 01 325 smokes after it is started. Here's the rub! It is intermittant. It smokes badly maybe once e week. I never know when it is going to happen. The car has 100k. (items i replaced recently)I removed the DISA and there is some oil in the intake but not much. I had a vacuum leak, replaced line to CCV or PCV. Don't quite know which one it was. Replaced oil filter housing seal. Change plugs. They were well worn. Fuel milage has dropped off even with plug replacement. This smoke has stumped me. Any ideas???
I know that ccv going bad can lead to smoking issues...and from what I've read, the combined with vcg can too (inner gaskets over cylinder holes).

If you just replaced one hose on ccv, maybe it's the ccv valve that's gone bad, which you didn't replace. Maybe one of your plugs is loose (sorry).

Maybe valve is almost clogged and you just need to take her out for real long drive to get her cleaned out. Maybe you filled up with gas from a station that had water in gas...heard of this from no-name brands.

Only other thing I can think of right now, is cylinder head gasket...that the car went through an overheating event prior to your owning it, and you're seeing the evidence now. A little coolant burning up at start up, a little bit of a rough start, then once it burns off, car seems to run fine?

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Pull off your oil fill cap and look under it. If there are water droplets, rust or slime, it's water. Condensation can occur with proper CCV vacuum. Hot to cold weather temp changes and white smoke is condensation in your engine and exhaust system as jdstrickland mentions. Water smoke scared me at first.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
TMO3

My Ride: 330ci
he still hasn't told us what color the smoke is. thats pretty important if we're going to diagnose the problem.
TMO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
heinrict

The smoke is white and smells like the smoke you would see at those crazy dance clubs. My question would be, why so infrequent?? I live in a dry climate (Arizona) I do only take her out for short rides. I do see lots of oil in the intake but am told it is normal for this car!!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
well then...

simply stop listening to whomever is advising you.

White smoke, intermittent or not PLUS short trips, Arizona or not.... = CVV.

Cough up a measley $150 for an entire new CVV system.

Problem solved. Pay me later.

Next?