E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
AlwayzUnce

My Ride: 128i
Send a message via AIM to AlwayzUnce
car really hesitant to start...

no warning lights or anything, turn the key and it is very slow to start... this started happening yesterday. I turned started it, turned it off, and started again this morning and it was fine on the 2nd start, but the next time i started it about an hour later same thing again?

this ever happen to anyone?
AlwayzUnce is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Zeekster64

My Ride: 2004 325i premium
What is slow to start? Is the engine sputtering and slow to get going or is the starter slow? I think I may have a similar problem as you do. Mine turns over fine but then sputters about for a couple of seconds as if it is choking.
Zeekster64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Sukiii

My Ride: 325i
Did you guys manage to find out what was the cause of the starter problem?
I have a similar problem whereby when i crank the starter on the first go it will not start, but as soon as i crank the starter for a second time the car starts up immediately with no problems.

Initially it wasn't so frequent, but of late it occurs all the time. Usually occurs when the car is cold (morning) or has been rested for some time i.e gone for shopping.
Basically takes me 2 cranks to start the car up.

I've tried changing the fuel filter before, its helps whereby engine starts up on 1st crank. but after a month problem arises again.
Could it be the relay? fuel pump? I can hear the fuel pump buzzz at step 1 of startup engine check.
Don't think its the start ignition....Any ideas?

Last edited by Sukiii; 10-19-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Sukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
E46SaloonM
Account Under Review

My Ride: E46 Saloon
i notice my ccar started to the same thing as it got colder so happen one of my cells in my battery was dead check ur battry and alt. for charging system make sure its good... if u changed the fuel filter check ur plugs how old are they maybe its to cold so the plug have to get warm to get ignition something like that ... after u check ur battery and u still have the same problem pm me for more info on a help .... BTW do u have any CEL and maybe u should get a scan from a gt1 cuz something u will have a fault code and the CEL will not come on but a GT1 can pick it up Thanks .
E46SaloonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Sukiii

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46SaloonM View Post
i notice my ccar started to the same thing as it got colder so happen one of my cells in my battery was dead check ur battry and alt. for charging system make sure its good... if u changed the fuel filter check ur plugs how old are they maybe its to cold so the plug have to get warm to get ignition something like that ... after u check ur battery and u still have the same problem pm me for more info on a help .... BTW do u have any CEL and maybe u should get a scan from a gt1 cuz something u will have a fault code and the CEL will not come on but a GT1 can pick it up Thanks .
Thanks for your quick response. I will try checking the battery and changing the plugs and let you know of the results.
So far I don't get any CEL or any warnings from bmw diagnose (GT1)
Sukiii is offline   Reply With Quote