E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil Pan Removal

21K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  getawaycarz 
#1 ·
Where do you support the engine with a jack once you've lowered the engine brace onto a stand or jack? (I do not have access to an engine lift/cherry picker) The only place that makes sense to me is on the ac compressor. Is there anything else holding the engine in place at this time besides the torque converter?

#7 ·
The engine is supported from above with a brace that attaches at the lift eye by the VANOS. The BMW brace is $$$ - +$1k. I've done this a few times. It's risky and a bit dangerous supporting the motor from below with the front subframe removed. Harbor Freight has a relatively cheap solution, although I have no personal experience with their tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96524

See attached photo. Good luck.

Attachments

#11 ·
I know you should use a brace, but I also know several people have done it using only a jack from underneath like you did. Weren't you afraid of the engine giving way from the uneven weight distribution with nothing supporting it from beyond the transmission? My local Indy quoted me 4.5 hours of labor even though he'll have my cross-brace and control arms/bushings off anyway for other work. That sickens me.

#21 · (Edited)
what sickens me is my local indy quoted me 2 hours for this job while the OP has been quoted 4.5 for a job that requires no additional work other than dropping the oil pan :dunno:
Not sure what you mean?? Removing the control arms have nothing to do with dropping the frame enough to get clearance for the oil pan to come out.

4.5 hours is a fair time for doing an oil pan gasket.

Oil Pan Gasket
Replace
Single Timing Chain
M3 B 3.9 5.2 Notes
Dual Timing Chain
2WD
Convertible B 3.3 4.6 Notes
Coupe, Sedan, Wagon
Manual Trans B 3.3 4.6 Notes
Auto Trans B 3.4 4.6 Notes
AWD
Manual Trans B 6.3 8.8 Notes
Auto Trans B 6.4 8.8 Notes
2WD
Convertible B 3.3 4.6 Notes
Coupe, Sedan
Manual Trans B 3.3 4.6 Notes
Auto Trans B 3.4 4.6 Notes
AWD
Manual Trans B 6.4 8.8 Notes
Auto Trans B 6.5 8.8

#23 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean?? Removing the control arms have nothing to do with dropping the frame enough to get clearance for the oil pan to come out.

4.5 hours is a fair time for doing an oil pan gasket.

All due respect bro, but my mechanic has my cross-brace and control arms and bushings removed to replace a couple of broken bolts. From there he has to unbolt the front sway bar (1 minute), unbolt/lower the engine brace while using an engine hoist for support (29 minutes if he takes his time), unbolt/lower power steering pump (10 minutes because he has to remove the pulley first)...then remove 20+ oil pan bolts, replace gasket, re bolt everything. 4.5 hours for that is ridiculous! I have no issue with a mechanic needing to feed his family, but I'll pay him for the actual time he puts in on my car...not some bullshit BMW work allotment figure.

Some DIY'ers find removing the bushings allows the engine brace to drop further, I agree.
Don't forget the steering rack that has to be taken loose to drop the cross member. I would be happy to charge actual time Customers really would not like this system any better than the current one.

All I am saying is he quoted a fair price to do the work You may not like the price so you have the option of DIY or finding someone less qualified that will do it for less.

#24 ·
titan 3, jbeurotech, or anyone:

Is the eyelet or engine lift ring by the vanos enough to hold the engine in place with the engine cross brace off? Do you need other lift points to do the job. I plan to use the HF engine brace mentioned in this post to hold up the engine while doing the oil pan gasket replacement.

#31 ·
The last one I did at work. I test drove after I completed the job and it drove straight and the steering wheel was straight. However I did check the toe and found it was slightly out of spec.

I always include an alignment for any quote that involves removing/replacing any suspension parts. Even though there may be no immediate symptoms, over the course of few thousand miles, a minor toe issue can eat up tires pretty bad.

#34 ·
Okay...just my 2 cents. Repair times are APPROXIMATE not EXACT, true mechanics are faster than techs. Login, no offense but about half of what you say adds to repair time is BS, you're padding the bill sir. Oil fill? You drained it, fill it back up. Road test? That's on you, checking to see if you messed up or not. Lift and verify? You should know if you did it right or not. Cleaning up after yourself? That's on you brother.
I suppose the clock is still running if you run to the john or getting tools before you start or washing your hands(you forgot that one). I hate using the book for repair times because it's mostly inaccurate...1hr billed is more like 20min actual work time.
Just saying.

#37 ·
1) Discover the BMW mommy gave me has an oil pan leak.
2) Search google for a how-to to fix it myself.
3) Find a thread on E46F where grown men are talking.
4) Realize I can't do it myself because I'm 16.
5) Realize there's no way I can pay 4.5 hrs labor on my McDonalds salary.
6) Sign up for E46F and make a single post displaying my ignorance.
7) Ask mommy for a loan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.