E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What Oil Weight is recommended for my 2000 328ci?

23K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Lone 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what oil weight to use on a 2000 328ci?
And also how many quarts?
I'm gonna use the bimmer DIY website for help

#8 ·
I know mileage is a factor in changing your oil, but does time have a role in it? Could you drive 1k miles in 6 months and still not need an oil change? I'm leaving for Iraq soon, and probably wont be back in about a year..... :(

I was gonna have a friend turn on the car weekly and let it run for 5-10 minutes and then shut it off

#10 ·
Lone said:
I know mileage is a factor in changing your oil, but does time have a role in it? Could you drive 1k miles in 6 months and still not need an oil change? I'm leaving for Iraq soon, and probably wont be back in about a year..... :(

I was gonna have a friend turn on the car weekly and let it run for 5-10 minutes and then shut it off
yes oil will degrade over time due to fuel or coolant blow by(all be it small amounts) contaminating the oil. I change mine every 5k miles or 6 mo., which ever comes first. Also have your friend drive the car instead of letting it idle. this will circulate things much better. Get a battery tender and pump up the pressure in your tires to like 50lbs. if it is going to sit for extended periods of time in the same spot. Put a box of baking soda or something similar inside the car to absorb moisture and put some mouse traps near and under the car so you don't have unwanted guests making a home in the car.

Take care over there!

#11 ·
Lone said:

I salute you for your service, be safe over there.

On the storage, its not really a good idea to run your car like this. It would be better if you changed the oil and filter (after a good long drive) and then stored it without running it. If you want your friend to run it, it should be driven and probably for a good 20-30 minutes to get the oil temp up. This way moisture can burn off and keep combustion by-products at a minimum.

#12 ·
unfortunately i dont really trust my friend driving my car( barely knows how to drive stick, RWD, or both in the snow). So it'll be okay to let the car sit outside yearlong without turning it on until I get back and then change all the fluids? I was going to sell it, no point in keeping it when I dont see it for a year, but my departure date is set for august 29th. not enough time

and why would there be rats? i dont usually keep cheese in my car haha

#13 ·
Lone said:
unfortunately i dont really trust my friend driving my car( barely knows how to drive stick, RWD, or both in the snow). So it'll be okay to let the car sit outside yearlong without turning it on until I get back and then change all the fluids? I was going to sell it, no point in keeping it when I dont see it for a year, but my departure date is set for august 29th. not enough time

and why would there be rats? i dont usually keep cheese in my car haha
Wow. the car will take a beating outside for a year. No garage you can use? maybe rent a storage unit? Mice will seek out cozy little spots to build a nest away from the elements. There are plenty of areas that meet this description in a car. You should hear some of the stories from guys on the E30 M3 list. Mice in the heater system, in mufflers, etc.

#14 ·
therealm3 said:
Wow. the car will take a beating outside for a year. No garage you can use? maybe rent a storage unit? Mice will seek out cozy little spots to build a nest away from the elements. There are plenty of areas that meet this description in a car. You should hear some of the stories from guys on the E30 M3 list. Mice in the heater system, in mufflers, etc.
oh wtf. I never knew this, but if i leave rat traps around, i dont want dead rats decaying inside of my car. i did see on pimp my ride that rats ate through this girl's floor and carpet, didnt think rats could survive in the cold though outside. It'll get expensive to put it in storage for a year. The best I can do is a car cover.

#15 ·
Lone said:
oh wtf. I never knew this, but if i leave rat traps around, i dont want dead rats decaying inside of my car. i did see on pimp my ride that rats ate through this girl's floor and carpet, didnt think rats could survive in the cold though outside. It'll get expensive to put it in storage for a year. The best I can do is a car cover.
squirrels built a nest in my friends car and it caught on fire when she started it up...
The leaves that the squirrels brought in to make a nest was ignited from the heat of the engine.

:yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.