E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Can You Determine The Age or Installation Date Of The OEM BMW Battery?

42K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  whataboutbob 
#1 ·
Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

I think the OEM BMW Battery in my car has been there since the car left the factory in Germany back in August 2001.

But I'm not sure because I never heard of any OEM car Battery lasting more than 5 or 6 years.

When I bought the car in September 2008 the original owner before me had only driven it 37,000 miles in a period of 7 years.

Even though the car was pristine and well maintained would there be the slightest of chances that he replaced the battery during that time of 7 years with another OEM battery.

Are there any markings anywhere on the OEM BMW Battery to let us know the make date or installation date?

See less See more
#3 ·
Of course there's a chance that's what he did, Del...but I also know the battery has to have a date stamp somewhere on it...has to. Might find some code to punch into the interweb to check...otherwise, pull her out and check.

But, in any case...for $100...and for all the issues batteries gone bad cause us...cheap insurance...you can get non-oem with more cca for 1/3 the cost. Think I have an autozone one...perfect fit (49DL? I'm vaguely remembering)...put that in 4 years ago...and in another year or two...or at first sign of any elect. issue...new battery.

Think of it like an ET...just replace it whenever you start thinking about it!

BTW, Del...you maybe want to attend my e46seminar and share some of all you've learned? Would be great to meet you personally!

Doug

#4 ·
Of course there's a chance that's what he did, Del...but I also know the battery has to have a date stamp somewhere on it...has to. Might find some code to punch into the interweb to check...otherwise, pull her out and check.
Yeah I was wondering if it was worth the hassle of disconnecting everything. Knowing what I know about BMW I'm pretty sure the OEM battery is bare with no markings beyond a parts number.

But, in any case...for $100...and for all the issues batteries gone bad cause us...cheap insurance...you can get non-oem with more cca for 1/3 the cost. Think I have an autozone one...perfect fit (49DL? I'm vaguely remembering)...put that in 4 years ago...and in another year or two...or at first sign of any elect. issue...new battery.

Think of it like an ET...just replace it whenever you start thinking about it!
Those Battery thread revivals got me thinking...lol.

BTW, Del...you maybe want to attend my e46seminar and share some of all you've learned? Would be great to meet you personally!

Doug
Hey Doug...when and where? PM me.
I believe you live near Fort Lee correct? I drive through there time to time when I go to Campmor or IKEA.
I used to live in Weehawkin (04 to 06) right on the river off Kennedy.

#5 · (Edited)
OEM BMW batteries have a date code stamped on top of the negative terminal in XX/XX (week/year) format.
eg: 25/02 = 25th week of 2002.

if your battery does not have it there, it may have been produced before BMW started stamping the codes on the neg. terminal so check the sides for the date code punched in the plastic case.

here is a pic with the date code stamped on top of the neg. terminal

#6 ·
See my comment on the 'fest. But yes, besides the negative terminal there is a date stamp at the bottom of the battery case. (You have to remove the battery and look underneath to see it)

But I'm not sure because I never heard of any OEM car Battery lasting more than 5 or 6 years.
My lasted 8 years. Hope the Wallmart's battery will last at least half of that...

#7 · (Edited)
Well, now you have heard. My factory battery is 6.5 years old. There was only a slight hesitation starting up at the depth of winter last year. My estimate is that it will last two more winters.

There's no real need to replace the battery like a dumbass before it starts to fail. You will normally get a couple of weeks of notice. People knowing little of cars wouldn't know this and would make random suggestions and do idiot seminars to buy cheap parts.

#8 ·
My oem battery went without notice, during winter time. Insufficiant CCA's. Testing the battery and preventative maintenance doesn't make anyone a dumbass. After 5 years any battery is subjective to insufficiant CA's to start a vehicle if the conditions are right. Better safe than sorry.

#13 ·
Just under 4 years since my original was replaced (at 6 years old), and my new OEM battery died! Not cool. I've jump started lots of cars for other people, run inverters off of it, the works (all while the alternator is running, of course)...I guess no good deed goes unpunished :p Well, let's see how long an autozone battery lasts, I suppose!

#16 ·
I saw this White OEM beauty today at the local mom and pops auto store.

Fresh delivery with a SEPT 2010 STAMP!

They want $129 w/ a 64 month FULL WARRANTY/REPLACEMENT in addition to the 8 year/3year warranty from Exide (based on the principle that the battery is guaranteed to last 8 years and beyond.

#21 ·
Walmart is $77 with 3 year free replacement, but no warranty past that. If the BMW battery lasted, on the outside, 9 years, 3 Walmarts are way less expensive. Autozone is a little more at $95 and has a shorter free replacement period but a longer warranty period. The batteries weigh about the same. Autozone you can remove the tops and add distilled water. I'd be hard pressed to hand over $450 (that must be battery plus installation labor?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.