E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Had to replace Alternator

17K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  jdub9 
#1 ·
I have a 04 E46 SMG with 46,000 miles. Last week I had to replace the alternator. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks

#3 ·
My '05 w/ 35 K miles puked the alternator also. Got it replaced under warranty but it doesn't give a good impression on the quality of the car with all these alternators dying early & often. Worst part is it seems BMW has not updated the design any. The replacement is the same design as the one that failed so in 2-3 years it's time again, but now out of warranty. :(

#7 ·
For those of you who replaced your alternator, did the alternator make any noise before it died? I ask this because I'm trying figure out what is making a clicking/squeking sound at idle. Thinking it was one of the upper pullies, I replaced both and I'm still hearing the noise.

Thanks

#8 ·
nope, got a red battery light which at first flickered on and off

came home, did my research on the forums and found that it was 99% the alternator

had it replaced the next day

fyi, i had my alt go out at 48,000 miles on my Range Rover -- same thing - red battery light came on - car was dead before i could make it home - stuck on the side of I95 for 2 hours at 2:00 in the morning waiting for a flatbed to tow it away - plus a $100 cab ride = not fun

#9 ·
When I flew out to San Antonio to pick up my '02 M3 they salesman met me with a strange look and said the car wan't ready as promised. That morning they'd moved it to wash it and the red battery symbol came on, they checked and found out the alternator was going out. They found on at the BMW dealer in town ( I bought it frm a MB dealer), but it was going to be the next morning before they could get it installed. Cost them about $6-800 they claimed. They loaned me a new MB C series to drive 'til the next day so I was happy.

#10 ·
No strange noises. Just the red battery light came on...Stopped at BMW dealer. They told me go ahead a drive it till later in the afternoon. I left dealer and parked 1/2 mile down the road..turned car off. When I went to start it back up, all the dash lights started flashing...then it died. The BMW Tech came over, hooked up a charger and the car started right up. As soon as he took the charger off, it died. Needless to say, they towed my car 1/2 mile to the dealer and replaced the alternator. They gave me a break on the towing and replaced the alternator at no charge. These guys at this dealer are Great!

#12 · (Edited)
Mine started making a ticking noise near the alternator last night. It was very loud at first but has quieted down to the point now where you can barely hear it over over other engine noise with the windows down. I haven't had any power issues yet so I'm hoping it's just a pulley or tensioner that needs to be replaced. My '02 only has 21k on it so I'm hoping I won't have to spend $1200 to replace the alternator.

#14 ·
part two. shop replaced the alternator, but bought a BMW oe part at dealer. ow. Discovered that the battery after the running flat was no longer holding a charge, even with the wall charger. Off to the local auto parts store for an Exide.

Interestingly, the battery tray for the car is set up to accept a variety of batteries, which is appropriate for a car which is sold worldwide. I had no fitting issues.

At this mileage, I also don't feel ill used for the battery or the alternator....the car is better built than just about any other car out there and I'm expecting 3ook miles from this beast.l

#15 ·
Interesting as my alternator in my 04 M3 with 42k miles died as well! I had it replaced with a refurbished alternator for $ 175 plus $ 200 for labor to a local BMW tech working on the side. It took him literally 45 minutes.

The symptons were that the battery light flickered on and off at mid to high rpms.

On the other hand, I had a 2000 323ci in which I put over 175k miles from new without any problems with the alternator!

#18 ·
I can relate to that, my alternator went after about 30 mins of on/off red-lining. I can pretty much guarantee that if i hadn't been doing that it wouldn't have gone. It went just as I got to about 7500rpm and then the red light came on. 20/30mins later car dies whilst driving.

I suppose as the cars get older something will give at those revs. Next time you redline listen to the engine and you will realise how much strain everything is under, it just feels like something is going to break!

#19 ·
old thread, i know...

but same thing happened to me. 57k on my 04 m3. alt is dead. I was at a red light when it first started flicking. wasn't but a few miles form home so i just drove it home no issues and jumped in my truck to go to work. i didn't rev high or anything. maybe saw 4k.

i'm going with a a bosh remanu for 180 bucks and putting it in myself.

And to the 'rev' topic, what about hondas? they rev to 8500 all day and don't have alt issues.

#21 ·
And to the 'rev' topic, what about hondas? they rev to 8500 all day and don't have alt issues.
It's the revs couped with the pulley ratio. The crank pulley has about twice the circumference of the alt pulley so with the engine at 8000 rpm the alt will spin at 16000! I'm guessing the hondas have a bigger at pulley spinning it slower (although I haven't looked at any hondas lately).

#23 ·
Well my light came on a week ago as I was getting on it upwards of 7500 rpm. It would only flash at first when I was above 5500rpms after the initial time... now its coming on more frequently, even starting to stay steady on for short periods of time versus just flashing like in the beginning.

Im convinced replacement time is coming...

#27 ·
So not an hour after I posted, I went to leave, and guess what? My alternator is toast. Went and had a wonderful technician friend of mine check it and everything :( It's been quite the day, but I know I am terribly lucky not to have broken down in the middle of bumf*ck egypt and be at the hands of some random shop. :thumbup: Thank God for good timing and good friends who are BMW techs. :luv:

#28 ·
Im reviving...
my alternator died about a week ago, had it rebuilt, died 2 days later, had it rebuilt (under warranty), died 1 day later (rebuilt under warranty again), died few hours later...hahahaha there is a pattern there...can anyone explain this ish, its getting the best of me!?!?
TIA,
Miro

#29 ·
I think the answer for the M3 is to install the Turner pulley kit that slows you PS.pump and alternator down by 20% so that redline doesn't over drive the life out of the component. When you consider that most M3 engines are at or near the redline on a consistent basis:evil:,then getting a pulley set is rather inexpensive alt-ternative. I almost forgot the accidental gain of a few Horses:excited: at the rear wheels.Hope this helps Dennis

#32 ·
I just did this, battery light started flickering on, around the red line, but not every time. No real noise associated with it, belt was fine, pulleys were fine, only bad part of replacement was lining up the new alternator. Hint, smack the rear lower insert on the new one to set it before you try to install it, and probably save a lot of grief. The idea that it's red line related makes sense, mine was only failing at over 7500 rpm, but the new (reman) so far is fine. As always, thanks for the posts and the help. May or may not be related, battery had gone dead a few months back and was replaced. Not an issue at this point.

#33 ·
I'm having the same issue with my 2000 323i third party mechanic just charged me $1,2000 I got robbed I felt he change the alternator three times and finally the car is on however the red light battery indicator is still on he told me its the dashboard problem he claimed he changed couple of sensors in the car one in the crankshaft and I forgot the 2 location however I don't feel like he did a good job I feel also changed the spark plugs I need help on how to rid of the red light battery indicator and should I call my bank and dispute charges?

#34 ·
I've read on other threads that a bad alternator can also cripple the battery, which can then wreck the new alternator, etc. The rest of it indicates something else completely. Dashboard problem, crankshaft sensor(s), spark plugs? Can I ask how many miles are on your 323 and what kind of general shape it's in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.